Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Manchester: reasonable lunch (or place to eat packed lunch) with children in tow
  • nbt

Going into That Manchester this Saturday with Mrs NBT and my 9 year old nephew. We’ll be there all day so will need to get lunch at some point. We have 2 options

1) Packed lunch – find a picnic room at one of the museums e.g. MOSI
    2) find somewhere reasonably priced to eat

At the moment I find myself being careful with my pennies. While I’m not fiscally embarrassed just yet, I’d prefer not to blow £40 on lunch for 3 at pizza express if I can find a reasonable meal for half that price.

Any suggestions as to either type of venue would be most welcome

dooosuk
    Free Member

What type of food are you after?

Katsouris (on Deansgate) do a good selection of sandwiches from a selection of hot plate meats (gammon, beef joint etc) and breads and have a salad bar.

RustySpanner

Curry ok?

One of the places in the Northern Quarter might fit the bill.
    You’ll struggle to spend a fiver per person.

This n That, Al Faisal etc.

Nice food court in the new bit of the Arndale too, where the Market uswd to be.
    The Greek place is nice. Not pricey, good fun.

nbt

not really thought about what type of food to be honest. Will bear Katsouris in mind cheers

edit – Mrs NBT doesn’t like Curry, sadly

globalti
    Free Member

Yes, as above, there are some food bars inside the Arndale Centre at the High Street entrance and not far from that on Thomas Street is a nice cafe called The Teacup. Both recommended.

Cougar

The cafe at the top of Afflecks is reasonable and dirt cheap.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

wagamama in the print works

nomnomnom

IHN

What’s the weather forecast? Can you not just picnic in, say, Castlefield?

Failing that, I’d be looking at independent deli-type places.

holster
    Free Member

I would second Katsouris on Deansgate.. can be quite busy at peak times though.

The salad bar is v nice (with, or without meat from the hot selection), and if you stuff your salad carton to the brim with the more filling stuff on offer (hummus, eggs, tuna, pasta, spuds etc.), it can feed two!

Also, if the weather is nice, you can get takeaway from there.

holster
    Free Member

Oh, and in the Arndale market, there is a good burrito bar – think its called Panchos? They do a burrito which weighs about the same as a small baby, and think it costs less than £6 inc. extras like cheese, guacomole etc… I always struggle to eat the whole thing in one sitting, so its good VFM.

Hols.

binners

edit – Mrs NBT doesn’t like Curry, sadly

They do some great kebabs in those places too. Fran (now aged 8 ) is quite partial to a chicken tikka kebab from Hunters

Papa_Lazarou – The printworks? THE PRINTWORKS?!!!! I think you need to sit in the corner and have a think about what it is you’ve just said.

How about Tampopo for Noodles? Oooooooo – I’ve remembered where’s good for a quick cafe lunch. Cafe Metro at the top of Market Street

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

my kids used to love the dutch pancake house in st peters square

binners

Alas -thats long gone mr potatohead!

IHN

wagamama in the print works

Wagamama near the High Court is where I once saw and congratulated a certain Bradley Wiggins after his fourth place in the tour that year. He has very big hands…

nbt

OOOOHHHHHH. Is there an abduls in That Manchester? Chicken Tikka Naan Bread Kebab, with everything on please. And a can of Irn Bru to wash it down

Sadly the weather id forecast to turn colder this weekend so don’t really fancy an outdoor meal

solarpowered
    Free Member

I’m with family that day otherwise I would have had you over to mine! 😛
    Maybe next time….

IHN

my kids[b]I[/b] used to love the dutch pancake house in st peters square with my dad when I were a nipper

🙁

binners

There’s Abduls on Oxford Road. NBT – the Chicken Tikka kebabs on Naan from the places in the Northern Quarter will be far superior to anything you’ll get at Abduls.Hunters is fantastic for them!

nbt

your house is about as far out of That Manchester as ours 🙂

jools182
    Free Member

nbt – Abduls!

the best chicken kebabs in the world

IHN

Is there an abduls in That Manchester?

There used to be one on Oxford Road.

portlyone

There is an Abduls out on Oxford Road, near the Mancunian Way.

Philpots do nice sarnies, and they usually have space to eat in.

The Arndale food court is great is you all want something different, Wings have an outlet there. Plus the sarnie shop do great roast pork/ ham/chicken/etc sarnies.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

sotrry didn’t know it had closed, IHN am I your dad ?

there are cheapo chinese buffets on portland street which are quite nice and they can pork out on the prawn crackers

therealhoops
    Free Member

The International Buffet in China Town is good. Exhibit ‘A’ m’lud.

This was plate 1 of 3 for about £5 🙂

midlifecrashes

When we went to MOSI a couple of years ago, school holiday and the cafe was rammed, we walked along Liverpool Road toward Deansgate and there’s a decent sandwich bar/greasy spoon about 150 yards along the road. Google streetview says it’s at no 37, black and gold paintwork outside. Did the job for us.

solarpowered
    Free Member

your house is about as far out of That Manchester as ours

Would’ve picked you up you wolly! 😉

IHN

IHN am I your dad?

Nope, he is:

hora
    Free Member

Arndale market for food.

binners

Why not go to the Chip Cabin across the road from MOSI? You can sit upstairs to eat, and its a mighty fine chippy!!

dooosuk
    Free Member

binners – Do you mean Fish Hut? Comes recommended if so.

hora
    Free Member

Then your Nephew can grow up looking just like…binners 😆

binners

Thats the one doosuk!!! Great chippy!!

I’m sure its of no interest to nbt, but its right next door to Cask – purveyors of a selection of fine ales 😉

ourmaninthenorth

I miss living in Manchester 🙁

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Manchester Museum has a big “picnic area” on the top floor. Bit far out of town though.

Also partial to Yadgar

binners

Yadgar is fantastic! Mainly because its owned by the grumpiest man in the world, who quite literally throws the (exceptionally good) food at you while fixing you with a look of utter contempt

monksie
    Free Member

McDonalds, St Ann’s Square
    Subway, all over the place
    Pizza Hut, Corporation Street. (I think).
    Donut place in the Arndale
    Cafe at the National Football Museum.
    Nando’s in the Printworks.

nbt

I call troll 🙂

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

binners – Member
    Yadgar is fantastic! Mainly because its owned by the grumpiest man in the world, who quite literally throws the (exceptionally good) food at you while fixing you with a look of utter contempt

I used to work a few doors away and after months of eating there, one day he was a little bit friendly to me and I felt inordinately pleased.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

You can bring your own picnic to the lunch area on the top mezzanine overlooking this…

Rough and ready, but cheap. Great 7 year old territory…

EDIT: sorry Patrick, missed the fact you had already posted this!

santacruzsi
    Free Member

hmm that Fish Hut always looks good, I pass it on my way home daily but never been in there.

OrmaanCheep – where is that?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Manchester: reasonable lunch (or place to eat packed lunch) with children in tow’ is closed to new replies.