Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Manchester MTB Madness
  • spyke85
    Free Member

So what should I expect? Never done anything like it and quite looking forward to it

xherbivorex
    Free Member

at tonight’s race? ride your MTB for about 50 minutes with a bunch of other people around a fun but fairly flat course near chorlton water park, basically!

spyke85
    Free Member

Yeah, tonight! It’s more a laugh then?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

well, it’s a race but i don’t think it’s no smiles and whatnot. i’ve never done any of them but i watched the chorlton rounds in previous series (and should be heading over tonight) and it looks like most people are enjoying it rather than taking it (and themselves) super seriously!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Last year I raced it and did well.

Tonight I’m taking a silly bike with the aim not to get lapped by any of my mates who are going.

See you there signing on is at 6 race/fun starts at 7

chakaping
    Free Member

I did the last round at Haigh Hall. I wasn’t laughing, I was almost crying. But then it was my first XC race for a few years.

But I did raise a smile when I got lapped by a fast guy who said “if you’re gonna push up the roots could you keep to the side”, then fell off when he tried to ride it.

🙂

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

I organised Haigh Hall and the emphasis on these races is enjoyment. We had a massively varied field at Haigh and the biggest entry so far on what was a new venue. The banter is always good and whilst the front lads are quick, there are only a handful.

Traditionally this round is well attended which may be down to the efforts of Manchester Wheelers/ Fosters cycles. 2 Skiffle bands were in attendance last year and beer for all competitors.

Watch for the midges.

spyke85
    Free Member

Midgie repellant packed!

chakaping
    Free Member

I organised Haigh Hall

It was a good race, cheers!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

As was tonight’s race/event/fun ride.

A great event it had everything from a great feel,, nice course, cheerful marshals, great fun, angry dog walkers, local drunks and roadie riders on mtb’s mincing on anything remotely technical.

char34
    Free Member

no need to talk about yourself like that john mincing on the techie stuff

bones76
    Free Member

Great Race/Event really enjoyed it, well done the organisers and all who took part in what was a fast course IMO and i look forward to the next one. 😀

spyke85
    Free Member

Well what a good laugh last night was, though my arm is leaking white stuff from a slight tumble on the last lap! I didn’t really the pace some people can do, full respect! A 150mm steel hardtail is probably not suited to this event!!! Who was taking the pictures?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

there were 3 lads who seemed to be loads faster than everyone else there, it was silly really!
    anyway, good night (although i wasn’t riding), and ace to have an XC race that’s 10 minutes walk from my house.

angry dog walkers, local drunks

those were brought in from outside the area especially for the race; we never see them normally around the water park. honest.

mossman

Anyone know who the photographers were?
    Would like to see evidence of the hay bale chicane jump

Vortexracing

Brill race last night guys, thanks for sorting it,

looking fwd to the next one already

traildog
    Free Member

there were 3 lads who seemed to be loads faster than everyone else there, it was silly really!

In the Enthusiasts or the racers? I was in the former and didn’t find it like that at all. A really good number of battles throughout and quite a bit of tactics on a fast course like that.
    Quite often you get a few people who shoot off the front by end up fading in a few laps time, by which time you’ve caught or been caught by so many people you’ve lost track. Trying to keep a high pace up is the key.

I was chatting with someone who was just passing by, saw the event and thought he’d have a go. Which I thought was great and just what the series is all about.

I’m sure that drunk bloke with a dog turns up at every race around Greater Manchester to cause trouble.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

i missed this, how do i find out more and about future events??

cp

british cycling website – look at the mtb calendar for mtb madness

xherbivorex
    Free Member

In the Enthusiasts or the racers? I was in the former and didn’t find it like that at all. A really good number of battles throughout and quite a bit of tactics on a fast course like that.
    Quite often you get a few people who shoot off the front by end up fading in a few laps time, by which time you’ve caught or been caught by so many people you’ve lost track. Trying to keep a high pace up is the key.

no idea what cat they were in as i was spectating rather than racing, just from a spectator’s point of view (at the top of a couple of the climbs) they seemed to be flying compared to everyone else!

traildog
    Free Member

Ah, probably the racers then. That’s how I imagine my form will be like at the next race.. Never quite works out like that though.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Flat course made it very fast..can’t remember having a more intense hour on a bike! I was still buzzing wide awake at 2am.

:mrgreen:

v12jat
    Free Member

Chris meads photography for the photo’s… there is evidence of the bale jump too!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Manchester MTB Madness’ is closed to new replies.