Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Manchester – Les Arcs by train…?
  • frogrocket
    Free Member

Hi all,

Booked a week with Trail Addiction in late July. Our driver has pulled out and flights are expensive so looking at trains instead – anyone got any experience of the Eurostar and TGV to the Alps with bikes?

Looks like there’s £25 each way per bike on Eurostar but TGV stuff bit more unknown, so any advice much appreciated as always.

Cheers.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Unless things have changed, the Eurostar will get you to Paris, then you have to do a transfer across Paris with all your kit to get on the train to Bourg St Maurice.

Annoying, as there’s a direct ski train St Pancras to BsM in winter…

saxabar
    Free Member

It’s fairly easy – Paris underground gets a little bit interesting carrying bike bags but I was carrying my own and helping my girlfriend with hers. If a solo trip – no problem and enjoy your overnight sleep on the TGV.

grum
    Free Member

Done it in winter and it was alright, but when I looked into it it didn’t really seem viable in summer. This was a couple of years ago though.

frogrocket
    Free Member

Nice one. Bike bag a necessity then? Can’t take the bike whole on Eurostar and then ride across Paris for TGV?

bland

but when I looked into it it didn’t really seem viable in summer. This was a couple of years ago though.

We looked at it last summer and i seem to remember the same, its not actually straightforward at all and damn expensive. Im not certain but there may be more than one change, shame really as its ideally situated and right nest to the fenicular

nbt

Manchester -> Euston -> St Pancras -> Gare Du Nord -> Gare Du Lyon -> Bourg St Maurice

saxabar
    Free Member

Yup, bike bag a necessity; down to that there London; make your escape; change in Paris; go to sleep.

You have two options on the train: one get a couchette (sp?) which is a bed/bunk; two, sleep in the seats, which are far more spacious than trains in the UK.

I can’t remember prices, but they weren’t that different to flying and getting transfers. You’ll also get an extra day either side of your hols as you arrive first thing and leave late.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Last time I booked this for clients, bagged bikes were free on the TGV. You really need to phone SNCF to sort it out, trawling their website is pretty hopeless.

johnfb
    Free Member

I’ve taken my bike to Northern Spain on sleeper and south of France on TGV, both times bagged as hand luggage. No major dramas.

The sleeper was a bit lucky though as only 3 of the 4 beds on our compartment were filled – would have been an issue if not. Worth checking if there’s a separate luggage car if a sleeper’s an option.

br
    Free Member

Also need to ensure you can get your bike on at Manchester, wouldn’t want 5 of you to turn up for the same train…

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Put your bike in a bag then they all carry it as luggage.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Manchester – Les Arcs by train…?’ is closed to new replies.