Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Manchester Indoor BMX – anyone been?
  • eightyeight
    Free Member

I’m going to the accelerated induction tonight and was just wondering what to expect?

Are pads / full face compulsory?

mrhoppy

It’s huge, I think I managed to get half way along the smallest jump.

FF & pads mandatory, they have them but if you have your own its probably better.

It’s awesome, I can’t wait to go back.

hora
    Free Member

Full face, knee and elbow pads- most definitely. Its a very unforgiving surface if you fall. What time? I’m popping down tonight with hora jnr

eightyeight
    Free Member

It starts at 6.

I’ve got soft shell knee pads but no elbow pads or full face, so will have to hire them.

Mr. Hoppy, they had 8 spaces when I rang earlier in the week, so they might still have spots tonight.

I’m strangely nervous. I haven’t been this worried about what I’m going to wear since the Year 8 disco….

Hora, come and say hello. I’ll be the painfully uncomfortable looking one. I mean seriously, is it just going to be all kids? Will I look like some weirdo mountain biker?

hora
    Free Member

He wont be riding tonight (here he is there)

But I’ll wave- what you wearing?

hora
    Free Member

Ps, would you mind if I heckled you?

eightyeight
    Free Member

Heckle away. I’ll be wearing black jeans and a black t shirt with a skull on -that’s right isn’t it?

But seriously, black jeans and a bewildered look. I can say with some confidence, you’ll spot my a mile off.

xiphon
    Free Member

Whenever I finish building my race BMX, I’ll be down there.

Can’t wait to get airborne over some of those monsters!

hora
    Free Member

(Checks profile)

Oi Liam, can’t you **** ride? My Mum can ride a bike better than you

eightyeight
    Free Member

Airbourne?! I’ll be pumping and sucking everything. My face and concrete have been too closely aquuainted these last few months.

mrhoppy

Would love to but it’s 2 hours up and I’m not able to go out for another 8 weeks while wife recovers from an op.

Avoiding the urge to sprint when the gate drops is really hard.

hora
    Free Member

Any room tonight? do I need to have ridden there before?

eightyeight
    Free Member

Hora – you should do it! I’ve not ridden a BMX since I was about 8. The lady on the phone said the accelerated session was for ‘people who felt confident on a bike’. I’ve (generously) counted myself in that category.

Give them a bell.

luffy105
    Free Member

I had a meeting there the other week and was shown the bmx track, very impressive. A team were training on it and the jumps they were pulling off were brilliant. Never in a month of Sundays will I be attempting those!

eightyeight
    Free Member

luffy – that’s basically why I’m starting it up. Anyone I ride with who’s got a history of BMX seems to be technically excellent, especially when jumping.

xiphon
    Free Member

It’s never too late to take up trials riding to make you a better rounded rider too. For £100 you can pick up a suitable 26″ bike to ride. Learning the basics such as forward-hops, or pivoting around the front wheel can go a long way. Even your balance gets improved.

I’ve found doing forward-hops across/over obstacles in your path, while clipped in, on a full-sus does make a few people go “Huh?? WTF? How did he do that??” Skills are transferable, but only used when you least expect it.

(…I have a BMX (park/dirt….. now racing) and trials background )

ianv
    Free Member

Full face is compulsory as seemed to be pads for the induction. They have loads of both if you dont.

The place is awesome, but prepare to get an ass kicking from some super quick pre teens.

hora
    Free Member

Pre-teens? Here is my TWO year old on his second visit:

eightyeight
    Free Member

Xiphon – I would def like to give that a go. I usually just mess around on my housemate’s HT in the car park, but it’s a pretty heavy Kona Shred, so would like to pick up a cheap trials bike.

I find I can easily hop over objects when I’m clipped it, but think I’m sort of cheating my sucking up on the pedals. I’ve gone flats for the time being to try and improve technique / not cheat.

By the way, when you say ‘forward-hop’, is that a bunny hop or something different?

eightyeight
    Free Member

Hora – your kid is beyond cool 8)

r0bh
    Free Member

Went a few weeks ago, great fun. Full face helmets and elbow/knee pads are compulsory but they have them there (ours was a group booking so we got them and bikes included).

We went from total novices to doing full laps from the 5m start ramp out of the gates within a two hour session.

xiphon
    Free Member

Sorry I think their ‘correct’ term is a “pedal kick” (but I always called them forward hops…. as, well, y’know… you’re hoping forward!)

Any small (13/14/15 inch) hardtail/rigid with good brakes and low gearing is all you need. Large frames just get in the way I find.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o64aXOk_Ys[/video]

hora
    Free Member

Theres no way I’d even playfully ride that BMX track without a fullfacer

eightyeight
    Free Member

xiphon – yea, that would look the nuts

Will keep my eyes peeled on t’Bay

xiphon
    Free Member

eightyeight – Once you get the hang of some basic trials manoeuvres, you soon learn to pull of party tricks, like ride up and over picnic tables, pivot 360 degrees on your front wheel (360 endo), etc. all while on your 30lb full bouncer.

Suddenly the 30ft log beside the path on your ride becomes a challenge to ride along (including riding up to it, and getting on top, in one continuous motion…)

Combining trials stunts with ‘everyday’ riding certainly brightens the day up sometimes.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Just thought I’d give a quick report from Friday…

It was really good fun, and very laid back. I don’t know what I was worried about! The instructor (Andy?) was a really nice chap and took things at a good pace.

I passed my accreditation and am booked in again for tonight 😀

If you live in Manchester, it’s almost criminal not to take advantage of the facility on offer – not exactly expensive either, £5 for two hours in a world class facility (compare that to the snowdome thingy….)

Hora – I must have missed your heckling, cause I hit the deck pretty hard on one occassion and my first thought was: “I’m gonna get some 5h*t for that…”

rhbrhb
    Free Member

^ Only just seen this topic… I’ll out myself as “instructor Andy” here. 🙂

Thanks for the nice write up about the session, glad you enjoyed it & have been back again already.

See you around no doubt,

A.

spyke85
    Free Member

We’re booked in for May. Was next time available! Already looking forward to it!

eightyeight
    Free Member

Thanks Andy, it was a really good session. I was in the LBS last night trying to get a few other lads along.

I didn’t go last night, I get the feeling Thursday is an even higher standard again.

Just one question, what are the best sessions to get along to for some basic coaching? Trying to figure out how to manual a roller was proving difficult!

rhbrhb
    Free Member

^^ see you in May, it’s v.popular at the moment.

^ you want the “bmx progression” coached sessions, they rotate thru different skills over 3 sessions, but manualling is amongst them. Ask the green jackets at gate sessions for more info.

p.s. don’t worry about rider standard at sessions, just come along & ride – other regular riders will offer tips, generally a friendly bunch.

A.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Manchester Indoor BMX – anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.