Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Manchester fashionistas – where to buy cheap but very warm coats for visitors?
  • globalti
    Free Member

I’m picking up two Nigerian colleagues from the airport early on Saturday morning and they will be freezing. I thought about diverting to that massive ASDA just after the Europiss brewery on the airport road and buying them both cheap quilted jackets, hats, scarves and gloves for their one-week stay. I guess I can justify £100 to £200 tops for this on expenses.

Will padded nylon coats from George make them look like Manc wasters or is there somewhere else between the airport and their hotel in Portland Street where I can get something they won’t be embarrassed to wear? I don’t buy clothes very often for myself!

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Decathlon? £35 for the lightweight down thingy, heavier/warmer are available. No idea if that’s on the way to the hotel though – sorry

Alphabet

Turn up wearing a t-shirt and shorts and comment on how warm it is for this time of year 😈

globalti
    Free Member

Ooh yes Decathlon might be smarter and more weatherproof. It’s only a very small diversion.

Packable too for when they go home with their cases full of gifts:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-700-mens-down-jacket-black-id_8317909.html

poolman
    Free Member

Charity shop, or buy new and donate after. I went to a funeral last month, no black coat, 8 quid for a cashmere mix coat courtesy of hospice shop. Wore it, returned it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Can’t you just send them an email along the lines of

“Wrap up warm guys, it’ll be really cold”?

I assume there are shops in Nigeria?

globalti
    Free Member

Yes there are shops but it’s prohibited to import clothes so they certainly won’t get anything suitable for European conditions.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes Nigeria is well know for its line in winter coats, hats and ski equipment

EDIT:Sees who said it realises he has been duped 😳

globalti
    Free Member

Smuggled European (mostly Italian fashion) clothing is horrendously expensive (Lagos is one of the most expensive cities in the world) and the Naija made stuff is shoddy and only for hot weather.

perchypanther
    Free Member

yes Nigeria is well know for its line in winter coats, hats and ski equipment

OOOOH! Are they going Skiing? In Manchester?

Awesome. You should take them to Decathlon then. 😉

globalti
    Free Member

No but I’ll take them to the ski slope so they can mess around in the snow a bit! Great idea!

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

TK max on Stanley Green is bursting with cheap warm clothes,10 mins away

globalti
    Free Member

Another great idea. Is that new road open now?

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

No , and the approach to the roundabout can be a little slow at peak times, due to new lanes being created.

I was there yesterday, and suspect your colleagues will have a field day with £200, so much choice.

slowoldman

OOOOH! Are they going Skiing? In Manchester?

Could do. Chill Factore.

smell_it
    Free Member

At least if you stop at ASDA they could stock up on booze and Johnnie’s which are equally key to survival in Manchester.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I initially read that as Norwegian and thought – really? Fool, too tired I think 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

At least if you stop at ASDA they could stock up on booze and Johnnie’s which are equally key to survival in Manchester.

You could be right. Gti Junior is a first-year student at MMet and he reported at 11.00 last night that he’d been chatting with a charming Hungarian girl named Fanny Kiss….

redthunder
    Free Member

@globalgti

Petanque fan ? 😉

binners

Why not combine the ‘shopping ‘ trip with an introduction to local cultural traditions and take them shoplifting in Kendals?

Or just sit in a pub in Salford 6 and wait until somebody offers to sell you a ski jacket. It’ll be half an hour, tops.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Manchester fashionistas – where to buy cheap but very warm coats for visitors?’ is closed to new replies.