Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Manchester-Blackpool this Sunday, anyone doing it?
  • isitafox
    Free Member

I’m having a go with a few mates, pretty much the longest ride I have or will ever do (though I know it’s not particularly strenuous). Just wondered if anyone in here ever bothers?
    I’ve already been warned about the non regular cyclists who make it a nightmare, hopefully I’ll manage to avoid any trouble!

edhornby

Have you been given a start time? Ignore it, go the earliest start time and get cracking, to avoid all the Slower riders, there are lots of them. Bear in mind that there can be a headwind blowing in from the coast from the out of Preston to the finish so eat before then

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I am. Looking forward to it.

isitafox
    Free Member

Just gonna sign up on the day, kind of a last minute thing as we still don’t know how we’re getting to Manchester or getting back from Blackpool yet!

MrOvershoot

Last did it back in 2010 has a great day, was feeling really strong as well so the brutal head wind into Lytham St Anne’s with a bit of rain that had some off their bikes sat by the road side was fun in a masochistic way. The final run into Blackpool with a tailwind was great at around 37mph 😀

They had coaches for us & lorries for the bikes back to Old Trafford

monkeychild
    Free Member

It’s chaos but fun. Watch out for the “pros”, I got grief for having the audacity to stop at a red light 😆 . I’ve not done it for a few years due to other stuff, but I used to ride from Ashton-in-Makerfield to the start, ride to Blackpool then ride back again. It was a great day out. Enjoy it 🙂

fubar
    Free Member

yep, first time for me. The plan is to avoid the hassle of coaches to get back to Manchester by cycling Blackpool to Manchester also.

project
    Free Member

Have done Liverpool to Blackpool and a few other so called charity riodes, its like riding with a herd of sheep you dont know what theyre thinking, what theyre going to do if thyre going to stop in the midle of a road to answer the phone, forget theyre clipped in etc.

But an early start stick together as a group and enjoy the buzz, juust beware of the wind and the traffic approaching the pool, when you can see the tower motorists can as well and it becomes a race, dont forget the tram tracks and trams cant swerve around you.

portlyone

I’ve done it a couple of times, enjoyed it. A big mix of riding talent though which makes things a little tricky at times.

edhornby

if you take your car to Manchester, you could ride back to preston and get a train back to manchester, or just crack on and ride back, once you get to preston just ride the A6 which is flat and straight (get a group on the road and ride through and off, soon eat up the miles)

simmy
    Free Member

Think there may still be engineering works at Farnworth on the Trains as Coaches have been running at Weekends so check before relying on the Train.

I live on the Route and it’s a good crack. I normally spend an Hour or so with my Dog at the Traffic lights chatting to riders as they pass so, about 12 miles in, if you see a bloke with a Labrador give us a wave 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Manchester-Blackpool this Sunday, anyone doing it?’ is closed to new replies.