Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Manchester – Blackpool for charity: will you sponsor me please!!
  • joe1983
    Free Member

Hi, me and a couple of mate are riding the Manchester to Blackpool in July in aid of Christie’s. I have just signed up so have no donations yet 🙁
    It would be great if the STW community could get behind it. Here’s the link to my just giving page:

http://www.justgiving.com/joemashespedals

All money donated goes directly to Christie’s.

Many thanks,

Joe

crikey
    Free Member

No.
    Riding a bike is not a difficult thing to do, and Man to Blackpool is an easy ride.
    I’ll give money to charity, but not because you’ve been out for a spin.

joe1983
    Free Member

That’s the spirit!

geoffj

Your off the mark.
    My sister would have been 42 on Wednesday. She spent time at Christies.
    Good luck with the fund raising and the ride.

joe1983
    Free Member

Thanks Geoff, I’m doing it as my Grandfather also spent time at Christie’s. I have paid for the event in full, there is no minimum sponsorship so if people choose not to donate that is immaterial to me. I just though it might be a nice gesture.

Joe

joe1983
    Free Member

Geoff – thankyou for your very generous donation!

joe1983
    Free Member

FC – thank you for giving to a great cause

FoxyChick
    Free Member

🙂

crikey
    Free Member

I give to Christies; they saved my Dad from a premature death.

I don’t give to people doing stuff that is essentially a day playing out.

Call me Mr. Grumpy, but you want my money, do something impressive…

joe1983
    Free Member

Crikey I understand your point of view. BUT I could play out quite happily without you giving to charity. As I said before I have paid the entrance fee and will be enjoying the ride whether or not people choose to donate. Anything that anyone graciously decides to give goes directly to Christie’s (and justgiving administers this and any tax relief available) to help fund the work they do.

I don’t understand your position that you are giving to me for a day playing out. I’ll be playing out anyway – just hopefully raising a bit of much needed cash for a good cause in the process.

Cheers,

Joe

crikey
    Free Member

I’m sorry, I’m coming across as a curmudgeonly old fecker, I just can’t get my head around people doing easy stuff aand asking to be sponsored for it.

I’ll give to charity; I do give to charity, I like to give to charity, but if you want to be sponsored I think you have to go a bit further.

I’ll shut up now.

druidh
    Free Member

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a couple of work colleagues a few years back. We were trying to work out whether the difficulty of a challenge actually affected how much people gave for a charity. We decided, at that point, that it didn’t make much difference. What did make a difference was how many people found out about it, and that was influenced by the degree of difficulty.

e.g. say you’re gonna do a 10 mile walk. It’s not exactly gonna set tongues wagging. Say you’re walking around the world, and suddenly you’re the talk of the town/canteen/office.

joe1983
    Free Member

I totally understand, and guess I felt the same until it was ‘MY’ fundraising effort! Definitely I would be more inclined to give if they were doing something crazy, or something that made me laugh. I know we get bombarded by requests for charitable giving and sometimes it gets a bit tiresome. This is probably a family and friends kind of event where I can cajole drunken uncles to dig deep!

Next time I’ll do it in a diving suit!

joe1983
    Free Member

Cheeky Saturday bump!

Cooroo
    Free Member

I just did C2C in aid of a local children’s hospice. Yes, we could have just ridden it, and originally we planned to. Then my riding partner said ‘Why not raise some money while we’re at it?’

I don’t see how it’s cheeky to ask – the money goes straight to the charity (especially with Just Giving). No one’s asking to be paid for having a good time. We raised over £1100 (so far… http://www.justgiving.com/ruthandemmac2c if you’re feeling particularly generous.

Crikey, if you’re not inclined to donate, that’s fine. No point in even posting, was there??

Joe, enjoy the ride that little bit more because some good is coming out of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Manchester – Blackpool for charity: will you sponsor me please!!’ is closed to new replies.