Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Mancave / mini workshop ideas
  • simmy
    Free Member

So it’s finally concreted today so I’m looking for ideas for workbenches etc.

I’m thinking a run of kitchen style wall cupboards along the side wall, a workbench under that and another workbench opposite.

Size is 9ft x 6ft, brick construction and it’s also got mains water but no electric yet.

Just looking for ideas for storage and I’m hoping to be able to get the bikes in to work on them.

Any pics / ideas will be appreciated.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Kitchen cupboards take up a lot of space, get all your tools mounted onto ply on the wall, above as solid a workbench as you can make. Lots of storage space below that. Small shelving right around the top above head height for all yer lubes/sprays/whatever, and screw jar lids onto the underside to keep all yer wee spares/screws etc.

It goes against our security heads, but natural light is a god send, I picked up a nice, pretty good quality double glazed unit 800×550 for 50 quid on fleabay.

The worlds yer oyster. I love my wee howff.

breadcrumb

If you’re wanting to work on bikes in 9’*6′ I’d go minimalistic on the work tops.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Could you put a work bench at one end? A 2′ deep bench is not bad, and would leave enough space to get the bike in lengthways on a stand, and work at either side.

footflaps

Make your own, very simple – loads of storage space etc

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dZahAK]Bench #1 with base, sides and back[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

trail_rat
    Free Member

kitchen units look good but are crap for working at and on – as they are weak as shit – remember if you want to open the door to get something you need a clear space infront of it .

better with a bench like footflaps – id make it narrow and at one end only rather than down one side.

Put the tools in a tool box as oppose to on ply on the wall or you will be committed to working in the shed all the time and not out in the garden on nice days – or continually running back and forward to the ply on the wall….

again tools mounted on ply looks good but unless your day job is a mechanic and your doing it day in day out its impractical for the home user most of the time – and often the home users tool board is an ergonomic nightmare.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Impractical? How so? Far more ergonomic too, all my bike tools are at a good height, right where I’m working. Far better than a tool box, I have a 6 drawer snap on roll cabinet, and far prefer the on the wall option. I keep all my rarely used tools in the roll cab now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye its handy just to move your wall to where you work – of course i guess you always work in the same space.

with 9 by 6 and a workbench id spend more time working on my bike outside than inside next to the wall

CHB

You just need more tools: commonly used tools in a toolbox/tote. And full sets in a tool chest or worktop. I use Halfords tool chest things with drawers and some plastic crates for storage from Costco. selection of tools (strimmer and Makita power saw) are hung from ceiling.

colp

You could hinge a worktop from the wall, have legs that drop out as you lift it.
    I have my workstand hinged from the roof beams, 2 seconds to drop down / lift away.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i can assure you (and rusty mac will back me up) i do not need more tools.

i do actually have commonly used tools up behind my bench – a set of allen keys , a set of screw drivers and a set of spanners hung up on the wall behind my bench but i work on my bike at the door or outside the door and all i have to do is turn the tool box 90 degrees and they are perfect for working outside.

i tried to turn the wall but it wouldnt move 🙁

I did love my old tool board i had in the workshop at work which was built with one specific purpose and that was to fix bikes as quickly and as efficiently as possible….. these days things are much more relaxed.

benp1

I made my work table from dexion and mdf. Was very cheap!

ourmaninthenorth

Mancave

🙄 (Garage or workshop will do!)

Agree on the positioning of the workbench – across the short wall.

My workbench is similar to footflaps (also built myself). It has boxes for storage in the lower shelf (currently brittle plastic – am going to build some ply ones) plus a couple of tool boxes. On top of the bench I have a vice and also a Park bike clamp (worked better in my old house than current garage).

I have open shelves above the workbench, but TBH these will also be replaced in due course – I’ll build some ply cupboards.

Also think about how you store your bikes – Stoner has a pic somewhere of his shed (one of them) where he stored his bikes upright and angled at 45 degrees to the wall to lessen how much they encroach on the internal space.

Have a think about flooring as well and make sure that the walls are nice and bright.

Oh, and lots of electric lighting and plug sockets.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

If you’re wanting to work on bikes in 9’*6′ I’d go minimalistic on the work tops.

This. I have a similar sized building, and by the time I put my bikes in it and the lawn Mower, theres barely enough room to get in.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

is this showing off?

B&Q worktop which is screwed to batten running around the wall with two uprights in the centre secured to the floor and the underside of the worktop.
    I have a “snap on” type roller cab with the tools in and i intend to fit some kitchen cabinets free standing below the work top.

Putting face height cabinets will make it a bit claustrophobic in there.

Gary_M
    Free Member

is this showing off?

Not really, bit untidy for my taste.

RustyMac

trail_rat can you ever have to many tools 😉 You do however have what is commonly known as a shit tone of them.

Getting back to the thread if anyone has any work bench designs i have some kitchen work top and an excessive amount of 2.4m long 100mm fence posts that need converting.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah where i come from we dont put bikes on tables.

wrecker
    Free Member

Liking footflaps’ bench. I think I’ll try and butcher some wood and make a little one.

footflaps

Getting back to the thread if anyone has any work bench designs i have some kitchen work top and an excessive amount of 2.4m long 100mm fence posts that need converting.

That’s basically mine, although I used Ply for the top.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dVC7q7]Old fence posts to use as legs for benches[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dVwvE8]Workbench top[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dZb9na]Adding a base to Bench #2[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

RustyMac

trail_rat – Member
    yeah where i come from we dont put bikes on tables.

Just the dining room wall ;-P

trail_rat
    Free Member

office – the office.

im not totally uncouth.

ourmaninthenorth

Link to Flickr album of my workbench build.

Built out of 2×4 and ply (9mm or 12mm, can’t remember).

Hopefully the pics are clear enough for you to adapt to your materials. I;ve since added some diagonal cross bracing between the front and back legs and some bracing between the front and rear upper stretchers so I could attach a vice.

Size is imperial (can’t remember why…) – 7′(l)x2′(d)x3′(h).

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Mancave / mini workshop ideas’ is closed to new replies.