Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • managing cramp during longer races, one for the sweaty folk
  • pictonroad

It stopped me on the Bontrager 24/12 again. Same as last year. Legs had plenty of strength left, only managed 8 laps before the calf cramping put a halt to my efforts.

It wasn’t even that hot this year, but, as soon as I put a lot of effort in, the sweat pours off me, particularly my head.

Tried adding SIS/powerbar tabs to my water, didn’t help, I took to mixing tabs with half a cup of water and downing like a disgusting shot. Exceeded the daily recommended number of tabs by 6pm and stomach felt incredibly weird.

Should I just eat pork scratchings or double salted crisps?

Any tips or hints from people that have suffered and beaten race ending cramps?

Cheers

James

teamslug
    Free Member

I suffered badly at the mayhem we don’t talk about and other longer rides too. I did Mayhem 2014 solo and was using hi5 energy drink and after about 8 laps I was cramping. I swapped to Hi5 plain tabs ( not caffeine ones) and was fine for the 8 more laps I managed. I use them all the time now and problem hasnt reoccurred. I found SIS didn’t sit well at all when I used it. Gels gave me bad stomach cramps and sh*$s.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Any tips or hints from people that have suffered and beaten race ending cramps?

Get fitter.

legend
    Free Member

torsoinalake

Get fitter.

What a nob. Please feel free to share you’re amazing training routine and results.

Cramping is not just about fitness.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I started suffering with cramps on some longer rides, especially in hot weather, over the last few months.

I’ve been using Skratch Labs hydration drinks and I’ve not had any problems since. I was using them when I was out in the Canary Islands a couple of months back and it was hot in the hills but no cramp issues using the Scratch drinks.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Yes it is. There is a lot more to fitness than just CV capacity as well.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Diazepam actually works well for cramp as it relaxes the muscles.

superfli
    Free Member

I suffer from cramp too. I’m a very sweaty bugger, which I’m sure contributes as I loose salt. On this year’s dyfi, I drank a litre of tonic water before the start as apparently the quinine helps. I also have leg cramp tablets I got off Amazon. I didn’t get cramp on the dyfi, so possibly it helped.
    I think it would probably help getting used to the distances beforehand, but sometimes that’s a little inconvenient. Not sure fitness helps as much as people say, as I would say I’m pretty fit and have always suffered. I exercise 6-8 times a week.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

What a nob

Relax. The man asked for a hint, so I gave him one.

ant77
    Free Member

How tight are your shoes?
    When on the road bike and have felt my calves cramping I’ve loosened off the straps on my shoes a bit and wiggled my toes to try and get more bloodflow down there. This does seem to give me a bit more time to get home before total seizure.
    Haven’t tried it on the mountain bike as I haven’t cramped on it since getting new shoes I can loosen…

jonba
    Free Member

I doubt lotions potions and snake oil will help. The science I’ve read suggests it is down to fitness and, as above, not just CV.

Look at setup. If using spds can you adjust you cleat position. I find having mine further back takes pressure off my calves and allows me to use bigger muscles such as quads.

In long races stretching out is important. On the road you can stand up to stretch out, harder on the mtb but still possible. Also adjusting position or dropping heels on easy descents?

psycorp
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don’t care what the science you’ve read says. I know for a fact that particularly in hot weather if I don’t make sure I get enough salts in I cramp up. If I do get enough salts in I don’t. My fitness hasn’t changed. I used to get cramps every ride but I very rarely get them now as I’ve nailed down what my body needs during exercise.

lunge

Get fitter

Sadly, this is the answer.

I speak as a fellow sweater, I used to get horrible cramp at around 3 hours, tried electrolyte tabs, Elete water, carbs, tonic water (contains Quinine, this is good apparently). The only thing that stopped them was getting fitter and getting my body used to the duration and intensity of the exercise.

I still use electrolyte tabs as I like the flavour in the water, I also make sure I’m very well hydrated before going out for longer riders but this is all window dressing, the thing that fixed it was riding more and getting fitter.

Not the answer you’re hoping for I know.

nickc

It mostly is. Cramp is probably you trying to work at a rate your muscles can’t sustain.

pictonroad

Thanks for the advice, could always be fitter, this is rather pointedly hammered home every time one of the Torq riders passes you in a race. 😯

I’m fit-ish, (14th out of 34 in the Bonty, sort of mid pack standard as a point of reference), it’s difficult finding time to ride more with work and a toddler/baby combo. Maybe I have to get a bloody turbo.. 😥

I ride flats on the MTB, pain when heel dropping one of the first hints it’s coming. I keep forgetting to stretch, that’s a good reminder. I think having a mental note to always ‘standing climb’ a particular climb might help.

I’ll order those drinks mentioned, stick some pork scratchings in my beard and drink a litre of gin and tonic before I set off.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Another heavy sweater and frequent cramper here.

My experience is that hydration, salts and electrolyte potions can help delay symptoms however the key is to train the body to operate beyond the normal point where cramps sets in.

Learning how to stretch on the bike and varying your riding position can also help.

EDIT: slight numbness in the foot/lower leg is my “tell” that the cramp is coming. Once it sets in, I can get it anywhere in the body.

legend
    Free Member

nickc – Member

It mostly is. Cramp is probably you trying to work at a rate your muscles can’t sustain.

hence the word “just”. I know a marathon runner that sometimes suffers from cramp in the middle of the night (no, not after hard runs). I started having cramp issues a couple of years ago, half way through a ride that I’m happy using as a warm-up for other rides – whilst at the fittest i’d been in ages.

Fitness obviously has a major part to play, bit it doesn’t sound like it’s what’s killing the OP in this case

nickc

For those that think cramp is predominately about electrolytes:

1. Sweat is mostly water (durrr) 😀 so electrolyte concentration in your bloodstream will either rise, or stay mostly the same
    2. Not all your muscles cramp. (when people really do have an electrolyte imbalance they spasm uncontrollably all over)
    3. If it’s about salt loss; then stretching shouldn’t help
    4. Why are the muscles working hardest the ones that are cramping?

In a race, it’s probably because you’re working a lot harder than you would even in training.

jonba
    Free Member

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2011/06/nutrition-and-muscle-cramps-%E2%80%93-what-does-the-science-say/

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2009/05/cramping-in-cycling/

Cyclingtips has some good articles. There are more on there about this and everything else.

There were some kicking around with the references to various peer reviewed journals but I don’t have links.

Maybe best not to think about it as fitness but conditioning. A bit harsh in my original comments, make sure you are taking on the right food and water but it won’t help if that is not the cause.

mt
    Free Member

This:

http://www.torqfitness.co.uk/nutrition/torq-raw

Ribose, its a sort of magic and has worked wonders for this sweaty bugger. Ask Matt at Torq was a bit of a revelation when I first used it in a 12hr event. It also helps me to use an electrolyte drink, however I avoid those that contain anything other than minerals and salts I’m sweating out. Use a High5 zero unflavoured.

pictonroad

1. Sweat is mostly water (durrr) so electrolyte concentration in your bloodstream will either rise, or stay mostly the same
    2. Not all your muscles cramp. (when people really do have an electrolyte imbalance they spasm uncontrollably all over)

It’s pretty compelling put like that but with regard to point 1, if I’m taking pure water in at the same rate it’s coming with out with salts diluted in it then this can’t be true. After 4 hours my helmet straps were coated in salts, it was extraordinary.

Stretching only relieves the pain, not the causes.

I’ll get fitter and stop complaining. 8)

jimdubleyou

There are a lot of studies about at the moment saying cramp isn’t due to electrolyte issues, and a ton of anecdotal evidence to suggest taking an electrolyte drink & staying hydrated will lessen/prevent it.

I’m about as far away from an elite racer as you can get. These things helped me reduce cramps effects (or even stopping it happening for the first few hours):
    Getting fitter
    Loading up electrolytes in the week beforehand, magnesium apparently being one of the better ones.

nickc

I’ll get fitter and stop complaining

You’re clearly fit already, it’s maybe pacing yourself?

Do you use a HRM, They can be very useful for learning your zones with regards to aerobic and Thresholds, which are good indicators for long distance events

TheSanityAssassin

I suffer cramp so badly that following one race they had to call me an ambulance as every muscle group from my waist down cramped simultaneously. Luckily there was a consultant anaesthetist in the same event who sorted me out within 10 mins. The ‘cure’? A cup of VERY strong salt water. So strong it was not much thinner than a paste!
    After that experience I spent some time and money trying various different ‘sports’ solutions, until finally finding the answer: nuun tablets. Regardless of what posters above are claiming about fitness etc, these tablets just work. I never ride anywhere without a bottle containing nuun now. I’ve recommended nuun to everyone I’ve come across with the same problem since, and they’ve a 100% success rate so far. And that list runs into dozens of people. If you suffer as badly as I do, and then you find something that works, then it’s like finding the fountain of youth!! Buy some, they just work.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

+1 for Torq, although I use Torq’s natural energy drink. I use the neutral flavour and just flavour with cordial. I used to get cramp quite bad but since using this for the last 4 or 5 years I’ve not had a problem. I my opinion its about fuelling the muscles and staying hydrated. Torq’s natural energy does both. I’ve done 2 24hr solos using this stuff and no cramp. I also use a countdown timer on my watch to remind me to eat every 20 mins or so.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Have been given advice by a seasoned endurance athlete and Doctor, and while fitness is definitely the key element, try upping the tablet dosage. I now use min 2 tabs per bottle and have since avoided crippling cramp.

pictonroad

which Nunn tablets are the least foul?

cheekyget
    Free Member

I’m not a sweaty…..unless it’s stupid hot…and I get cramp…sometimes you can work though it…other times you have to stop and stretch it out

I find also taking electrolyte tabs give me headaches…maybe because I’m not sweating out the salts??

Magnesium tablets are suppose to work

nickc

While I’m pretty convinced that it’s ‘mostly’ about fitness (or as jonba said better; conditioning) there’s also lots of reasons to stay properly hydrated, and there’s no doubting that electrolyte tabs can help with that.

SA’s experience sounds horrible, and that he’s found a way to sort it out is brilliant. There’s loads of tablets and mixes out there, there may be one that will sort you out?

DrP

James..
    I used to cramp really badly in the 4 hr brass monkey races.
    I found drinking plenty, and ‘keeping just below my threshold’ meant I didn’t cramp in the later races. I found I placed much better, and cramped less (or none) as I got fitter as the series went on..

I’m sure the series this winter Will probably be a similar picture… Die in the first race, then improve..

So really I think fitness does play a key role, but as does drinking enough.

And the chap who claims sweat is mostly water…well, that’s technically true, but in order to move the water from in to out, our bodies move salt, and the water follows. Hence you DO lose salt when you sweat…

DrP. NOT a doctor of philosophy 😉

hooli

Interesting reading, I have always suffered with cramp, so much so that I sometimes wake up in the night with a hamstring or calf cramp and end up bouncing around the room trying to stretch it out while knocking things over and waking the wife.

Mostly this is after exercise but I have been known to get it after an all day session on the beer.

Nuun tabs seem to help when cycling, not tried it when on the beer all day 😉

jamcorse

I am sweaty and suffer cramps during or after long, hot races. Someone told me that magnesium is good and one of my pre-race drinks is a Barocca, I think it helps. Someone else told me that I am taking out more than what’s there plus what I put in. Kinda makes sense. Changing position helps, so does backing off. I resolve to drink more electrolytes if I can carry enough or there are enough water points and I bet that I’m not well enough hydrated every time it hits.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

For those that think cramp is predominately about electrolytes:

1. Sweat is mostly water (durrr) so electrolyte concentration in your bloodstream will either rise, or stay mostly the same

In a race, it’s probably because you’re working a lot harder than you would even in training.

nickc has it absolutely spot-on. The reason that our sweat is so salty is because we consume way too much salt in our diets and it’s the body’s way of getting rid of the excess along with in our urine (just ask Chris Froome!)

It’s been shown in reasearch that even in extreme deprivation situations the body will excrete excess salt until it reaches an equilibrium level for its needs and then stop. Packing a load more salt down in energy drinks justs continues the process and makes the body work harder to get rid of the excess.

nickc’s last point is the really telling one that you should all ask yourselves.

I used to cramp quite badly on long sportives and tried almost every remedy going including most of the ones suggested on this thread. Then I discovered “Waterlogged” by Dr Tim Noakes and no longer bother with any electrolytes on any ride. I still occasionally get cramp but manage that with a bit of stretching and making sure I am adequately hydrated.

I can understand people using Zero tabs because they prefer the taste to plain water but honestly, you don’t need the electrolytes they contain.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Tumms every 2 hours!! sorted!!!

Trekster

Most people say their calves cramp, it’s my thighs that are the problem!
    My right thigh goes first, then the left on really long rides…
    Have had the same issue when playing squash(after a game or in bed)
    I’ve tried all the “remedies” over the years but it either happens or it doesn’t!?….

alpineharry
    Free Member

Probably already mentioned in the above but as a suggestion, could a good warmup routine prevent cramping?

scaredypants

there’s a whole load of stuff on the www about cramp (I’ve read a moderate amount as I get cramp in the soles of my feet, usually overnight and not at all associated with how much I’ve exercised – I’m flat-footed and I reckon that’s somehow involved. Haven’t really found a cure though)

These geezers may be talking shite, but it’s plausible and apparently well-referenced shite and that’s good enough for me

They echo the points above that sweat is generally hypotonic, so sweating doesn’t deplete your electrolyte concentrations and in fact would have the opposite effect (IF you don’t rehydrate – with a lot of plain water, that is)

They run through the popular hypotheses and pick them apart a bit and end up offering possible prevention strategies, I think

globalti
    Free Member

I have suffered thigh cramp on long events like Polaris and hot road rides but I find that electrolyte tabs do the trick.

Cramp in bed is horrible and I find that sticking my head under the bedclothes and re-breathing my own CO2 gets rid fast; my cycling buddy is a physician and reckons that might create carbonic acid and acidify the blood.

njee20
    Free Member

Elete water for me when racing, added to High5.

Nuun/Zym etc are all good, but I found I ran out of energy. High5 works well for me, and adding a few drops of Elete always works for me.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Stretches at any stopping points for a snack etc, touch toes, heel to ass, and cross feet and lean forward like touching toes. If I don’t stretch throughout long rides i’ll get cramp.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘managing cramp during longer races, one for the sweaty folk’ is closed to new replies.