Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Managed motorway speeding question:
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

This is purely a rhetorical question, but if someone were to speed along a section of managed motorway and get caught speeding by multiple cameras would they receive multiple fines & points or is it treated as a single offence with one fine & points?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d imagine (hope) they’d get multiple fines. It doesn’t matter if the person was caught doing 100 or whatever by 5 cameras over 10 miles or 5 cameras over 60 miles?

If you don’t then its a flippin weird rule.

maccruiskeen

depends on the camera system. Some systems have multiple cameras but its the time taken to travel between cameras, not the speed when passing the camera that measured. So old-school cameras would log multiple offences as triggering each camera is ‘getting caught’ but an average speed system would just log one.

Pook

Rhetorical would suggest you don’t want an answer.

If you mean theoretically, I believe it would be 1 ticket. Morally this is wrong.

Either way you should be theoretically disgusted with yourself.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think you can argue in court it should be 1 ticket, it does depend upon the circumstances.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Rhetorical would suggest you don’t want an answer.

If you mean theoretically, I believe it would be 1 ticket. Morally this is wrong.

Either way you should be theoretically disgusted with yourself.

Now I’m just confused and embarrassed (and its too late to sedit mt OP) 😳

If the persons speed doesn’t change then they’d only be breaking the law once so how does that work for prosecuting them multiple times?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I think you can argue in court it should be 1 ticket, it does depend upon the circumstances.

Thats madness.

julians
    Free Member

My lay view is that the offense is exceeding the speed limit, so if you only exceeded it once , but got caught be multiple cameras (ie exceeded the speed limit then stayed above it through several camera or speed limit zones whatever) then it should only be one offence.

Probably completely wrong in my interpretation though, would be interested in the corect answer

Onzadog
    Free Member

Didn’t this happen when cameras first started appearing? I think it was on the M6. Chap effectively lost his license in a single trip. Went to court to argue it was a single offence as he didn’t drop below the speed limit between cameras. No idea of the outcome though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thats madness.

Why ? If you get in your car and drive 80mph up the motorway for 10 miles why is that multiple tickets versus driving at that speed for 100 yds ?

In the old days you where stopped by the police, got a ticket. it didn;t matter of they tailed you for 1 mile or 10. Now you can get flashed by multiple cameras and get multiple tickets ?

Pook

And you’ll most probably have passed multiple speed limit signs….

MoreCashThanDash

I believe it depends whether you think a Golf R estate is a good idea or not…..

jimjam
    Free Member

You would hope that the circumstances would be taken into account and the punishment would suit the offence.

bails

If I’m driving around on bald tyres, get pulled over and fined for it, then a week later get pulled over again and get another fine is that wrong? It’s the same tyres, the car could have been parked on the road and so hasn’t been off the road in between the fines. One offence but caught twice?

If you’ve broken the speed limit at two different points in time, at two different locations then I don’t see why you shouldn’t get two tickets. If it’s two cameras looking at exactly the same but of road then that’s like being fined twice because there were two officers in the car that pulled you over. The OP’s question is more like two different officers, in different cars catching you on different bits of road, at two distinct times.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Pook, doesn’t matter how many signs are up if you’re still in the same zone. They could all be repeaters. Just to show how daft it is, you can’t officially use repeaters in a 30 limit.

scotroutes

It’s multiple offences. You could gather enough points fir a ban on one trip if you speed past enough cameras.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Why ? If you get in your car and drive 80mph up the motorway for 10 miles why is that multiple tickets versus driving at that speed for 100 yds ?

Because whats to say you didn’t stop at a services and do 100mph between cameras before slowing down for the cameras? If you’re idiotic enough to drive through multiple speed cameras at a speed so far above the limit it sets the cameras off, you should be punished for being a cretin more than for the simple offence of driving a car too quickly.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

If the cameras were as small as possible (say they were each 1 Planck length long) and they were packed end to end, and each one took a picture as you pootled past over the speed limit for just 1 metre of road, how many points would you have 1.616 x10 to-the 35 speeding tickets translate to?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bails – because you’ve had a chance to get new tyres and you’ve been made aware of the offense.

Why don’t average speed cameras ban you outright as they prove you’ve been speeding for miles and miles ?

hot_fiat

As it’s automated, or rather otherwise-unemployable jobsworth lacky-enforced*, you’d probably get fined multiple times and be sent multiple NIP letters. You’d have to go to court to argue that it’s one offense.

*Just to be clear they’re not police officers who do the processing (in Northumbria area at least).

trambler

I think it’s a day in court, all offences dealt with together, but multiple offences.

scotroutes

jambalaya – Member

@bails
    – because you’ve had a chance to get new tyres and you’ve been made aware of the offense.
    Why don’t average speed cameras ban you outright as they prove you’ve been speeding for miles and miles ?

You’ve not quite got the hang of “average” yet then?

lemonysam
    Free Member

@bails – because you’ve had a chance to get new tyres and you’ve been made aware of the offense.

How about my drive from Gatwick to Northumberland last week, if I’d been caught speeding on the M25, the M1 and the A69 should they all count as a single offence?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@scott – but whats real the difference between an average speed camera and multiple GATSOs

@lemony – I think one ticket per day or one ticket unless you have received the speeding notice in the post. So in your example 1 ticket.

portlyone

You will get done for all of the offenses. You can plead hardship when in court to not get a ban.

thebunk

If you get in your car and drive 80mph up the motorway for 10 miles why is that multiple tickets versus driving at that speed for 100 yds ?

Perhaps because you’ve endangered x100 more lives? You’ve been caught multiple times doing the same thing?

Example: If someone goes on a killing spree for a couple of hours, they don’t just get done for murder once, they get done for each offence that could be proven.

molgrips
    Free Member

Perhaps because you’ve endangered x100 more lives?

Imperial fail, you mean 176x more lives I think 🙂

steveh

If it went to court you’d only get done once unless the rules have changed, once per journey was the previous way it worked.
    My mums a magistrate and this was the information they were given.

thegreatape
    Free Member

^ that. Although twice if you do it going home as well.

andermt
    Free Member

lemonysam – Member
    How about my drive from Gatwick to Northumberland last week, if I’d been caught speeding on the M25, the M1 and the A69 should they all count as a single offence?

In this instance you would get 3 different tickets I believe. They are different roads and potentially with different speed limits.

Similarly the comment about murdering numerous people, it’s numerous offences, as you can’t exactly murder the same person numerous times which would be the case in the OP’s question.

Speeding for 10 miles along the M1 through 3 cameras would be 1 ticket as you are effectively still carrying out the same offence. I believe there is a precedent for this in UK law.

The comment about the guy getting done on the M6 a number of times and losing his license, I believe was down to him getting stopped numerous times by coppers, not just pictured by a camera.

thegreatape
    Free Member

From a vague recollection of a thread I read on Pepipoo (so multiple opportunities for this to be wrong), it may be something to do with whether or not you could prove they had dropped below the limit then up over it again. If you get pulled over and ticketed three times for doing 100 then obviously you’ve exceeded the limit three times, but in passing a number of cameras on the same road then it may not be possible to say that you had or hadn’t, so only one offence can be proven. If you’ve changed roads then there would be a reasonable inference that you’d slowed down for the junction/roundabout/etc., depending on the locations of course.

It can only be one offence per occasion of exceeding the limit, you can’t prosecute multiple offices for speeding in multiple locations when they could have maintained that excessive speed throughout, otherwise it could get silly.

Like andermt said.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    D0NK

It can only be one offence per occasion of exceeding the limit, you can’t prosecute multiple offices for speeding in multiple locations when they could have maintained that excessive speed throughout, otherwise it could get silly.

so, theoretically, you could do the full 225miles of the M6 at 100 and only get 3 points and any associated fine? TBH I’m not sure that is any less silly.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Well you might get more points than that, but I suppose it would be up to the prosecution to show that you couldn’t have maintained 70+ the whole way – CCTV of you at a services, stand still traffic, something like that perhaps – it would depend on that. I agree that it’s silly, but it’s the result of legal wrangling and arguments.

D0NK

but it’s the result of legal wrangling and arguments.

you mean cockweasles trying to make sure other cockweasles keep their licences after doing something particularly cockweasley?

aka the legal process in action.
    oops nearly forgot
    😉

Northwind

It’s like when you’re robbing a bank, it doesn’t become 2 bank robberies just because it took you a really long time. But if you rob another bank, even if it’s next door, that’s a different bank robbery. How is that fair!!?!

thegreatape
    Free Member

but it’s the result of legal wrangling and arguments.
    you mean cockweasles trying to make sure other cockweasles keep their licences after doing something particularly cockweasley?
    aka the legal process in action.
    oops nearly forgot

I would never be so cynical……. 🙂

geoffj

so, theoretically, you could do the full 225miles of the M6 at 100 and only get 3 points and any associated fine? TBH I’m not sure that is any less silly.

I suspect you’d get more than 3 points for doing the ton on the M6.

jota180
    Free Member

Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 28 (4)

Where a person is convicted (whether on the same occasion or not) of two or more offences committed on the same occasion and involving obligatory endorsement, the total number of penalty points to be attributed to them is the number or highest number that would be attributed on a conviction of one of them (so that if the convictions are on different occasions the number of penalty points to be attributed to the offences on the later occasion or occasions shall be restricted accordingly)

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s for when you get done for, say, speeding and on your phone at the same time, you only get the points for one of them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Managed motorway speeding question:’ is closed to new replies.