Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Managed 10 mins of a ride before getting in an argument with a car
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Was heading down Buttermere when some rather close overtaking tool place ending up with a plastic 4×4 rather close along side me so tapped the side with my hands to ask for more room, driver took a little offence to this and finally stopped so we had to pass. He seemed to object to my hand hitting his car a short explanation of any closer and i’d have been off mate didn’t seem to concern him wish I’d gone in with the bars now!!

ac505
    Free Member

had a similar encounter with the Fife Police……. I caught up with the officer and felt it appropriate to explain the error of their ways. Was amazed at how quickly they closed ranks and apparently it was my fault for “being in the way” when the road narrowed….. A call to the local Inspector ensured arses were suitably booted…

iainc

I had one today on a back road pootle near Strathaven. Farmer type in a black 4×4, with animal trailer on – saw me coming the other way and actually tried to force me off the bike by squeezing me onto the gravel – prick…..

nowt you can do – middle of nowhere, me on bike, farmer and mate in car – only one outcome 👿

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Been there WAY too many times to count. fist booming into door/mirror/window/roof, when they stop and complain
    …”so, you’re complaining that YOU hit ME, and you HEARD it?!!!!
    Here’s the number of my Solicitor …expect a call tomorrow!”

ftr1873
    Free Member

They think you don’t have a right to be on the road. The worst is when somebody overtakes you then immediately cuts into the junction when you’re going straight on. T055ERS.

samuri
    Free Member

I rarely bother raising it any more it’s so common. I realise I have serious issues when it comes to bad drivers. Killing issues.

I need to address these but for the time being I’ll just mouth off and signal to the worse ones that they can discuss it at a more personal level if they’d like.

Travis

I get this daily, in the cycle lane.
    They think it’s safe and sometimes funny to suddenly veer into the lane because the road ahead is blocked.
    Yet when I smack the side of the car they think it’s my fault.

How I haven’t really lost it yet, I don’t know. Probably because I know listen to soft, calm relaxing music and say to myself, that it’s only a few (car drivers) that are just down right manic

donsimon
    Free Member

The law states that a car must give 1,5m to a bike. If I tap/hit the window of a car and they stop,I calmly tell them that surely there is a mistake, because if I could hit the car they clearly were within this 1,5m distance which is illegal. They usually shut up at this point. 😀

parkedtiger
    Free Member

No mercy Mike 😀

An impatient Golf driver narrowly avoided a head on collision over taking us on a blind bend coming up the Borrowdale Rd 😯

I saw Gav’s vid – looked like a good ride. We ended up two valleys over (Gable down to Seathwaite). You out Tuesday ?

R.lepecha

had this done to me so many times.. but if you resort to pavement riding(quiet ones) people on the pavement moan. so what can you do. some one pulled out on my dad on his commute home from work once(driver not paying attention or maybe thought they had right of way) so my dad slowed down quick enough so he could nudge into the car without going over the bars. rather hard nudge since it dinted there door.

worce time I’ve nearly been knocked of on the road was coming home from lothertonhall. there were 3 of us coming down this road(no pavements) so we were right up against the grass verges. a hgv and a flat bed van came past and both of them were very very few centimeters away from our bars the back of the flatbed actually clipped my bar. but we couldn’t swerve or anything because there was a grass verge in the way.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What can you do? – ride defensively. get out of the gutter. Command your space on the road.

In the worst case scenario it gives you somewhere to go if they try to push past.

miketually
    Free Member

The law states that a car must give 1,5m to a bike

It doesn’t.

atlaz
    Free Member

Even in cars, some drivers aren’t much better. Going into London on Thursday someone dinged the drivers side rear panel. Shit happens but when I indicated and waved at him out of the window to follow me (to a side road to check the car, not for a fight), he shot across three lanes of traffic, did a u-turn and was gone.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

R.lepecha – Member

had this done to me so many times………………so we were right up against the grass verges.

get out of the gutter! You should be at least 3/4 of a m from the edge of the road and IMO between 1 and 2 m. do this and tehy won’t try to squeeze past

AndrewBF
    Free Member

The law states that a car must give 1,5m to a bike.

Where does it state this?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teh 1.5 m is advisory. Highway code states “as much room as you would give a car|” and I have seen the 1.5m figure in advice somewhere

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Will be out on tuesday probably back to my student riding style with a d-lock swinging in the end of the bars to ward off evil wing mirrors

project
    Free Member

Join a union.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Managed 10 mins of a ride before getting in an argument with a car’ is closed to new replies.