• This topic has 582 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 583 total)
  • Man Utd…
  • stoffel
    Free Member

Who are the biggest net spenders though? If Liverpool do offload Borini, then their net spend won’t actually bee all that much, considering how many players they’ve bought. Man U do seem to be way ahead on net spend so far.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It seems to be more of a statement of intent that they can still compete with the likes of City (using overseas clubs to buy players and loan back at a loss to get round fair play) and Chelsea.

jambalaya
    Free Member

£59.7m fee agreed. The mother of all panic buys! They need defenders!

What @shortbread says.

Van Gaal the tactical genius, the Messaih. What are the odds he’ll have a worse start than Moyles after 4 or 8 games ?

MSP

It seems to be more of a statement of intent that they can still compete with the likes of City (using overseas clubs to buy players and loan back at a loss to get round fair play) and Chelsea.

LOL, Lampard was signed on a free by New York, and City are paying his wages while he is at City, where he is unlikely to even make the bench unless there are quite a few injury problems. Some Utd fans have turned bitter very quickly indeed.

It also looks like the supposed FFP rules are being used to protect the positions of the established big clubs, otherwise it would be Uniteds financial position that should be bringing the greatest sanctions.

Jamie
    Free Member

Who are the biggest net spenders though?

When fayns start bringing out the net spend stats, it’s time for us all to go home 8)

Frankenstein
    Free Member

£60 million! He’s here!

How much?!

Nah he’s a great player and now sell Fletcher & Carrick!

Need a quality defender, one more winger and sell Rooney.

RicB

Utd are definitely paying the ‘but you’re not in Europe’ tax. Di Maria is a great player but £20m overpriced

Utd are spending big because, I suspect, they’re terrified the sponsors will run for the hills if they fail to get into the UCL next year. Their whole business model would collapse. I’m guessing they’re spending next years transfer budget too.

Utd have spent ££ in recent years but Fergie was always obsessed with the £10-20m price bracket. The philosophy was to buy 23-27 year olds who could slot straight into the first team but also develop, and retain some resale value. Fergie never forgot the treatment he received at the AGM after he bought Veron. In fact I don’t think he went to another AGM for several years! Next time he regained confidence and spent big was Berba….

Saccades
    Free Member

Van Gaal shifted to a 3-5-2 because he didn’t have the players for 4-3-3, he’s said repeatedly that the squad is unbalanced (needs to get mata, rvp & Rooney in) and without the quality of wingers required (name checking Angel). I wouldn’t get too fixed on 3-5-2, as he’s also said they players know 4-3-3 and can revert back when required (pretty much every game so far…)

We have been dire so far but we are missing rafeal & shaw, the attacking wingbacks needed to make the current shape work, we also have evens & “rojo” out (relying on several reserve team players – we only have 3 “senior” cb’s 2 of which have spent the last coupla seasons playing anywhere but CB). Then the midfield (a weakpoint for ages) is missing carrick and herrea (would be first pick midfield), leaving cleverly (who played like a coward at the weekend) and Fletcher who is getting on and had a seriously debilitating illness (oh and Anderson… who will probably start tonight for 30mins before breaking down for 6 months again). It doesn’t matter how good the front end is (very slow in UTD’s case when welbeck isn’t there to run around like bambi on ice) if everything behind them is turd. The re-invention of young and valancia as wingbacks was a revelation in the USA, but both have gone back to their 1 trick pony ways (and even more of a coward in youngs case) as the PL knows them inside out.

It also looks like the supposed FFP rules are being used to protect the positions of the established big clubs, otherwise it would be Uniteds financial position that should be bringing the greatest sanctions.

I don’t understand this viewpoint – Utd bring in a massive self-built revenue and the wages paid are well within the allowed range of turnover (even more so as 4 senior players left at the end of last season – giggs, vidic, rio and evra, if they had stayed we would have struggled to comply with FFP and bring in a lot of new players – it’s not buying that’s tricky it’s paying wages), a leveraged buyout isn’t illegal, it’s a shit state of affairs (imagine how good Utd would be with the £700M to spend on players?) but it looks like finally the Glazers have gotten a handle on the interest payments and it’s down to something like £21M per year now, very manageable with the increased TV deal alone. Utd are on the NYSE and meet their financial requirements as a proper business, they have a massive income so can spend a lot on players and their wages and service the debt. If anything rivals should be ecstatic of the glazers stripping cash out and weakening utd’s buying power. If you want to punish clubs with debt that would be most in the PL (arsenal would have been knackered trying to buy their stadium, Chelsea’s interest free loan/share arrangement with abramovich (up to £726 million) is surely worse than Utd’s.
    I do agree that the FFP rules does help to protect the position of the current big clubs (as well as stopping clubs spending beyond their abilities to maintain) and then there is a whole other argument of sugar daddies vs self built vs reckless spending to get into/stay in the PL.

MSP

a leveraged buyout isn’t illegal

Nor is any activity the FFP rules supposedly seek to redress, but it has evidently damaged the finances of one of the worlds richest clubs to a far larger degree than there is any evidence for the other activities that are being sanctioned.

jambalaya
    Free Member

FFP. ManU’s setup is perfectly within the FFR rules, it’s clubs like Chelsea and Man City who are just gifted money by their owners on a totally non-economic basis which are the problem. ManU’s troubles are nothing to do with the Glaziers, they are wealthier now than they where 2-3 years ago. SAF sold the club a pup buy doing nothing to prepare the club for the future, he got the most out of the squad then headed for retirement.

I am sure Moyes regrets ever getting involved, if this continues Van Gaal is going to start getting some serious flak.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

AF sold the club a pup buy doing nothing to prepare the club for the future, he got the most out of the squad then headed for retirement.

I am sure Moyes regrets ever getting involved, if this continues Van Gaal is going to start getting some serious flak.

It was nothing short of a miracle that SAF won the league in his final season, the squad clearly needed refreshed. Why would SAF buy players when he knew someone else would want his own?

IMO the problems started when Moyes took over (not His fault though) and who ever is/was in charge of getting players failed to get the players he really needed.

MSP

ManU’s setup is perfectly within the FFR rules, it’s clubs like Chelsea and Man City who are just gifted money by their owners on a totally non-economic basis which are the problem.

Whooooooooosh!

Jamie
    Free Member

*coughs*

Jamie
    Free Member

*splutters*

mikey3
    Free Member

When you have first division players chesting the ball past your keeper you know things aren’t going well,moyes in 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

*faints*

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Reserves aren’t up to much eh. Just the double this year then.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wasn’t another first touch a la Aguero last night was it?

jerseymountainbiker
    Free Member

Long live King Louis 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Edit. Sorry. Already posted..

Jamie
    Free Member

*splurts*

Rockape63
    Free Member

4-0!!!!!

That’s FOUR!

Lol

Rockape63
    Free Member

I was a bit bored and stumbled on this game…….glad I did! 🙂

Blackhound

Concentrating on the league. …..

mikey3
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a top team so desperate for a couple of players who can actually defend,that guy just barged past three of them,crazy.

johndoh
    Free Member

Didn’t expect this tonight!

allthepies
    Free Member

WTF!

😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmm. With Giroud crocked for the rest of the year, Arsenal might want to recall Benik Afobe.

cheers_drive

I thought that DDs post was photoshopped!

Ha Ha!!!
    I think that most pundits predicted them in the top 4 some top 2. They may wish to rethink.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Last was great.

Utd are passing well in the last 10 minutes.

Interesting to see their reserve players coming through.

Reminds of when Italy dominated European footy tournaments.

Hope they win on the weekend.

binners

Next on the list of interesting, unfamiliar new experiences: a relegation scrap?

allthepies
    Free Member

Signs of despair as Anderson attempts to describe the spherical object his team mates should be kicking.

RicB

Holy cr*p. Worse than watching England

Think that might have broken a few careers before they even started. Only Welbeck came out of it with some dignity

Jamie
    Free Member

Just remember, Binners, no matter how tough it gets. Some things are just not worth trying to take the pain away…

soobalias
    Free Member

common sense prevents me commenting while the hammers are still playing….

geoffj

**** me! 😯

soobalias
    Free Member

anyway, like i was about to say
    silly competition that.

zippykona

common sense prevents me commenting while the hammers are still playing….

But we’re used to being crap!

geoffj

He’ll be gone by Christmas – I bet Moyes is (rightly) pissing himself laughing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 583 total)

The topic ‘Man Utd…’ is closed to new replies.