Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Man tries to ride down llanberis path in under 12 mins?
  • dirtydog
    Free Member

Came across this on you tube!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IF89VVzAPbQ

Anyone know anything about this, or is this a seriously misguided individual tearing down the llanberis path in the middle of the afternoon?

Sorry on a mobile so can’t link direct, pretty outrageous and a sure fire way of getting MTBs banned, somone needs to have a word.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Is it a segment?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Probably

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

How do you know it is the middle of the afternoon? I remember doing the rangers path a few years back at the “legal” time with little pockets of people sitting at the side of the path watching and shouting encouragement.

Everyone seems happy, I see little problem here.

I thought Gee got the record on the llanberis path years back. Didn’t look like him.

spooky_b329

The title says Guinness World Record Attempt, that would imply it is organised?

plecostomus
    Free Member

Is there a way of telling when this was posted? And can somebody do a screen shot so we can see what it says on his top and then if its in the day in the time of the voluntary ban? If its within the van time then what a cock.

spooky_b329

I still think its organised, why else would people be watching, and it sounds like the group filming are trying to work out who the rider is by the colour of his top which implies its an event.

Whether its responsible for the organisers to encourage this on Snowdon is another matter.

colournoise

Faint shadows are fairly long, so (depending on time of year) could easily be after 5. I came down there at 5-30 last week in much worse weather and still had to pass maybe 5 or 6 groups of walkers so it could be a ‘legal’ run.

martinhutch

Looks like it could be after 5pm, but, TBH, there’s so much traffic on that path in August that it doesn’t strike me that having a speed run down there is a fantastic idea even outside the voluntary ban times. For a start, he’ll be coming up behind group after group of walkers with their backs to him.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Portrait format? PORTRAIT??!!!

Ewan
    Free Member

Details here: https://www.facebook.com/benmooreracing/photos/a.784087861615194.1073741828.783477681676212/1021247267899251/?type=1&fref=nf

Complete with quite a decent sounding apology when the error of his ways was pointed out.

Storm meet teacup.

nickc

instant death when I become king

granny_ring

It does sound like he might try something similar again, or have I read that wrong?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I hope he gets some decent *old skool* rims, like my indestructible D321s 😉

oldejeans
    Free Member

is that a procore tube?!

granny_ring

I hope he listens to the guy saying it’s not a good idea.

cookeaa

instant death when I become king

Precisely!

Big-Bud
    Free Member

The guy was riding outside the VOLUNTARY!!!! Ban and most of the folks were locals who came to support his challenge.
    He did as much advertising vocally Leading upto it and isnt doing anything he shouldn,t.
    I often get heckled riding it at 7pm at night and it pisses me off

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The comments on his Facebook page about after 5 being bikers time and walkers should be expecting bikes are a bit worrying. I don’t think he is deliberately being a dick just very very naive.

Unfortunately he’s the type of idiot the mtb’ing attracts these days

iolo
    Free Member

It might be a bit strong, but when someone annoys the other path users and gets pissed off when they ask him to be more careful this creates conflict. Having bikes on Snowdon is only possible due to various locals sitting down with the National Park and coming up with the agreement.
    If enough walkers get annoyed by idiots showing zero care and respect, they will shout. Enough shouting and the bikes will be banned.
    The comment about hecklers pissing him off shows he doesn’t care about anyone else on the hill. That kind of attitude will ruin it for everyone.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Why voluntary in caps, you seem to be suggesting that its fine to ignore it because it’s ‘VOLUNTARY’, that’s how it comes across?

Flat out runs at whatever time of day are going to cause issues if the paths are busy with walkers.

Zero consideration shown to walkers in that video, I dont believe for a second that they where all locals chearing him on.

richmtb

A man tries to ride down the second biggest mountain in the UK on under 12 minutes.

Second biggest mountain in the UK???

I don’t think so

devs
    Free Member

This is elbry or McCoy Racing right?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Voluntary ban or not.The fact that it is a legal right of way not withstanding.
    DO NOT RIDE LIKE A DICK (anywhere really but specifically on Snowdon).

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Lucky he only broke his rim and did not run into anyone on the way down, crashing into walkers could have been fatal.

Agree seriously misguided.

The voluntary ban was put into place possibly before he was born!!

Thanks to the work of the North Wales Mountainbike Association and Adrian Walls we can still ride the mountain.

IdleJon

I often get heckled riding it at 7pm at night and it pisses me off

Perhaps you need to think about why you’re getting heckled?

julians
    Free Member

Perhaps you need to think about why you’re getting heckled?

Having ridden down snowdon myself well inside the ‘bikes allowed’ hours and very courteously slowed down and said hello to all the walkers, I still got ‘heckled’ by a handful (the majority were very pleasant though) of walkers, including one particularly obnoxious bloke, who held his poles out across the path and tried to whack me with them, so I suspect the bloke above being heckled was probably also being perfectly courteous.

The chap in the video though is probably pushing the boundaries a bit too far

cloudnine
    Free Member

Couldnt watch past 14seconds.. the portrait view hurts my eyes

tillydog
    Free Member

In addition to the sensitivity issues, the stunt seems to have missed the boat as there are 3 people on Strava already under 12 minutes for the descent – KOM is over 2 years old:

https://www.strava.com/segments/4317358

nikk
    Free Member

Feel sorry for Wales / England not having access rights like Scotland. But also, full on racing on a public path down a popular mountain… dunno. To me, all people (walkers, cyclist, horse riders etc) have to respect each others right to access and right to a safe passage. Bombing past people (straaaaaaava) is not cool. Who cares who is fastest down the mountain? Not many people. Or do it at 3am.

ninfan
    Free Member

more in awe of this section

https://www.strava.com/segments/4701867

1 hour 20 there and back 😯

Edric64
    Free Member

1 hour 20 is a good 15 minutes slower than the running record

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Man tries to ride down llanberis path in under 12 mins?’ is closed to new replies.