Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Man this is cheap !
  • Earl
    Free Member

Unless you are a brand wh*re.

RockRider 9.2
    Wish i was in the market for a new bike.

geoffj

It is. If only Decathlon did mail order 🙁

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Yes i used to work for decathlon and they sell their bikes at cost or even a loss in the hope they make it back on +1 sales and establish themselves in the market . The bikes are good too, I doubt there is a better bike available for the money.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

parts value alone must be not far off that price then there is the frame!!

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Geoffj if you want one , i can get you one and post it to you. We used to have a guy buy the pop up tents and put them on ebay for more than what we charged plus delivery costs.

dano
    Free Member

surely they are not selling for cost? all retailers try to make 30-40% mark up… thats just how it is!

solamanda
    Free Member

surely they are not selling for cost? all retailers try to make 30-40% mark up… thats just how it is!

Not at all. I'd agree that must be very close to cost.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Dano , its called medium / long term market stratergy. Secondly your 30/40 % is invalid as there are different mark ups for different markets …. check out my website comparethemarkup.com not comparethemarket.com. SIMPLES 😀

atlaz
    Free Member

They sell absolutely loads of bikes in France so I'd imagine they get amazing rates from their suppliers. Last week I'd say half the bikes I saw on cars heading to or from holidays were Decathlon bikes.

Wally

The best bit is they can get in the parts for such bikes, Hence Revs for £200 plus a £20 pop lock. Bargain!
    I did put back a pair of crossmax SL's £180 doooh. they were gone two days later:-(

Kahurangi

Probably even better VFM than the Boardman bikes…

I remember when they hit the UK market maybe 10-12 year ago I talked to a very french sounding block on the phone to get a catalogue – they were putting out fully XTR equipped bikes (hardtail, this was 10 years ago) for under a grand.

shoefiti
    Free Member

that's a real steal, the frame looks a little claude butler, but there is no way you can fault it for the kit. I'd definitly buy one but i'm not sure if i fit the intended demographic:

designed for serious mountain bikers who want to discover new trails.

I kind like the old ones i ride, oh well 😥

vdubber67
    Free Member

hmmm…what if the design of the frame means it rides like a dog? Surely you can throw all the top kit you like at a shitey frame and it's still a shitey frame? (No evidence that this is indeed the case here, but surely you'd ponder that question?)

Miserable addition to the thread I know. Bad mood 🙂

z1ppy

Wally – Member
    The best bit is they can get in the parts for such bikes

Care to expand on that? I've never seen components for sale there (Merryhell).

nbt

They sell components in Stockport, not seen many rockshx forks but I have seen Mavic wheels for sure – picked up some crossland (entry level) wheel for about £80

uplink
    Free Member

I bought one of these last week as my new pub/camping bike
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider-5-2-grey-69566845/

For £200 this has got to be a steal – rides beautifully too

hp_source

I've got a decathlon road bike, cost me £469, carbon forks, carbon seat stays, campag kit etc… rides very nicely. Can't fault Decathlon for value, even got a pair of road shoes thrown in to go with the snazzy look keo pedals.

this looks great value too: Rockrider 8.2

REBA's etc can't be grumbled at for £619, and I guess there's less risk of a bad ride on a 'budget' H/T over F/S frame

steve_b77
    Free Member

Me and one of my mates were talking about this the other day, the bike is almost worth buying for the parts, stripping down, fitting to a frame ofyour choice and flogging the decathalon frame on fleabay, if you're a brand pimp that is

geoffj

Stonemonkey – thanks for the offer. I do visit Nottingham on business now and again, so I may pop in and have a proper look.

Wally

You just ask at the cycle service section and they look it up – or have some stuff in store. I got a pair of disc 317's on rockrider bearing hubs for £90. Juicy 3's about £65 a set.

theflatboy
    Free Member

so decathlon is an untapped reservoir of high quality hidden gems? i must get down there!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup, the cycle clothing is pretty much spot on too

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Man this is cheap !’ is closed to new replies.