Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Man shot by police in London this week.
  • hora
    Free Member

So basically as he was putting towards/in the holster he caught the trigger on clothing kit or inserted with his finger pressured onto the trigger. The latter being a wtf error.

Drac

Sounds likely to me hora if it was a Glock then it’d need the pressure on trigger safety to fire so possibly his finger rather than clothing.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Drac. Have another read of my post mate. If you pull back the action for any reason, the hammer will be cocked and ready to be released.
    The problem is that when you put a weapon in the hand of an idiot. Even a highly trained idiot. Accidents can and probably will happen. Regarding most accidental shootings, it’s usually someone else who is hurt. This is because people become complacent and fail to remember a simple rule.
    Never point a weapon at anyone you do not wish to shoot.
    Even when unloading, servicing or otherwise one should be aware of the proximity of others at all times.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Very common to have an ND during the unload. People who are tired forget to take the magazine out so cocking it to eject the chambered round just loads another one so when they “ease springs” the thing goes off. Thats why you should unload into an unloading bay (or the one metre range as its known)!
    Someone where I used to be had an ND whilst unloading a .50cal. That was messy.

Drac

Oh! Sorry Gears_suck I’m on nights so my brain is in slow mo, you basically gave a more detailed version. 😳

hora
    Free Member

Whoa Army? At close range into self? (Hang on barrel would be too long)

footflaps

I never pull the trigger unloading. Drop the magzine out, pull back the barrel, drop shell out of the chamber – gun unloaded

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utrMir_9wMQ[/video]

kja78
    Free Member

I’m suprised to hear that Police carry their weapons made ready all the time. Can a copper confirm this? When I was in NI in the Army our pistols were loaded but not made ready i.e mag on, not cocked. Before we entered any buildings on a base or police station they were always unloaded i.e mag off,no rounds in chamber.

I’d agree that the unload/make safe is the most likely time for an ND, especially when tired. A colleague of mine once had an ND on camp, I was the first one to get to him after the shot. I was expecting the worst, but when I got to him he was standing up, white as a sheet with his pistol pointing at the ground and a hole in the tarmac literally a centimetre from his toe. He lost a month’s pay for that.

burnie
    Free Member

It is not unheard of for a people to shoot themselves in the leg whilst holstering/upholstering a loaded weapon quickly ie.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE[/video]

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My chum can confirm it! The thinking is that there is no point carrying the weapon if its not ready to go. He was surprised that the military don’t make ready until they are ordered to ie just before they are going to fire.

ND’s on tour result in loss of your tour bonus (about £5k I think?) unless you are the American who shot a contractor in the foot then just ran away and was never found!

kja78
    Free Member

Thanks Rockhopper, I guess it has something to do with the difference between having a 18-19 year old infantry grunt who’s been playing COD since he was 12, and a 30+ bobby with a few years pounding the beat and a bit less testosterone pumping through his veins.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Man shot by police in London this week.’ is closed to new replies.