Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Man Shed roofing – advice needed.
  • freeagent
    Free Member

Right – I’m about to start the construction of a new man shed. It’ll be approx 11′ x 14′ with a flat roof (will have a slight slope, around 10 degrees)
    Shed will be 100mm 7nm concrete blocks, being layed by a mate, but i’m doing the rest (ie – the roof)
    I’m confident about tackling it, I’ve worked with wood a lot in the past, inc some pretty big structures.
    Basically i’m looking at a 4″ x 2″ joists, paneled out in sterling board.
    I was thinking about a corrugated steel roof, however i’m a bit put off by the cost, so am now thinking about felting it.

Sooo… can anyone recommend what felt to buy, and where to buy it?
    I’ve got no objections to ‘torch-on’ felt, I’ve got a propane torch with the right nozzle etc.

any other thoughts/tips/advice would be most welcome.

TheBrick
    Free Member

My dad re roof a lean too a few years ago and used these corrugated sheets. They seem to work well a more reasonable price than metal corrugated sheets but not brittle like the plastic ones.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/coroline-corrugated-pvcu-bitumen-sheet-black-2m-x-950mm/27586?kpid=27586&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CNfI5vaX-LUCFUfMtAodMRIALg

wrightyson
    Free Member

Quite a long span for 4×2 is my first thought.. Minimum three rows of nogs, two outer edges and one down the centre. Ping a chalk line and stagger them either side so as to be able to nail them easily. Notch wall plate straps in at 900 ish centres as that’s a big flat sail. Use ring shanks to nail the ply down, nail the ply down in the right place or wish you hadn’t used ring shanks.

freeagent
    Free Member

OK, so maybe 5″ x 2″ might be better bet?
    My other thought is fire rating – because my shed is within 1m of the border it needs to be build from fire proof material, I’ve got this covered with the wall construction, but need to consider it for the roof I s’pose?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Two skins of plasterboard on the ceiling side or something like a supalux board which is fire resistant, again screwed to the underside of roof joists.

freeagent
    Free Member

cheers Wrightyson.

TheBrick – thanks for the link, looks interesting.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’d up the timber size purely because you’re going to have to get up there and work on it, plus you don’t want any flex if you go for a bituo/felt type roof.

pjm84
    Free Member

6×2 as a mininum assuming the span is 11ft and not 14ft! Noggins at mid span up to a 4.5m span

10 degrees is a bit OTT. Look a installing the joists flat and using a precut firring option to keep the construction simple to a 1:60 fall

Less then 1m from the boundary the garage needs to constructed substantially of noncombustible materials. You’re be fine with the timber internal construction just dont go putting timber cladding or a thatch on the outside.

Be wary of internal condensation problems with a single skin metal deck.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Man Shed roofing – advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.