• This topic has 41 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Man flu cures
  • DT78
    Free Member

After 2 weeks of feeling terrible last month thought I’d had my annual cold. Nope. It’s back with a vengeance. Snot every where, can’t taste, hear or breathe. Was supposed to be starting a training programme, so that has been postponed now. Grumpy.

Any home remedies? Lemslip appears to not even be making a dent….or is this the end?

perchypanther
    Free Member

My wife swears by this cure when i’ve got the sniffles…….

MTFU Princess.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Lemsip with a shot or 2 of Benedictine is my favoured remedy*.

*I am pretty sure there are no medical benefits to adding Benedictine but you are assured a good sleep.

ahwiles
    Free Member

finely chop a piece of ginger (size depending on personal preference)

finely chop a slice (or 2) of chilli.

add both to a large mug, with a bloody good squeeze of lemon juice, and a teaspoon of honey.

add hot water, and leave for a few minutes.

this drink won’t cure manflu, but it’s delicious.

(have a paracetamol)

lambchop
    Free Member

Berroca and whisky

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cup of concrete

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Eat lots of healthy stuff and don’t be shy with your portions (feed a cold – it works for me)hot and spicy food helps me, drink loads of water, hot lemon barley water with honey is good too, loads of lemsips. 🙂

binners

Acupuncture….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mf_oX69FYs[/video]

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

1/2 Red onion, finely diced. Garlic finely chopped, 1/4 tsp of paprika, 1/4 tsp of salt. Mash it up in a pestle and morter. Eat.

It’ll clear your sinuses in seconds! And the garlic and onion have antibacterial properties. And possibly some anti-viral ones too. You can also spread it on toast to make it a bit less hardcore.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cider and whisky chasers

jambalaya
    Free Member

A few suggestions here, “my poor little bunny” 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbmbMSrsZVQ[/video]

Drac

There is no cure. Take Paracetamol the aches instead of paying way over the odds for lemon flavoured Paracetamol.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Nurofen cold and flu for a quick fix.
    Job jobbed!

or a HOT chili con carne with the hottest chilis you can handle and plenty of limes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Growacet.

vickypea
    Free Member

Home made chicken soup with loads of onions, fresh chilli, garlic, and fresh lemon. Works a treat.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ve had a stinker for about 5 weeks. Comes and goes.

Currently feeling shite, full of snot.

Currently on paracetamol and sipping whisky with honey and hot water.

Tiger balm on my chest.

Still feel shite but should get some sleep.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Curry, hot bath, big sleep, no riding or training apart from fresh air walks till your chest starts to clear.

DT78
    Free Member

Finally gave up and went to the docs. Sinusitis and conjunctivitis. Brilliant. Antibiotics and drops, should be better in another 2 -3 weeks. Lessened learnt go to the doc sooner. Manning up did not work.

Good news, chest is okay other than coughing stuff up. So turbo is ok….just need snot rags close by.

jam-bo

Nurofen cold and flu for a quick fix

if you want to pay 5x the price for ibuprofen and decongestant pills that you can buy as an own brand for a fraction of the price in any supermarket or pharmacy…

retro83
    Free Member

For those needing decongestant, ask for the original Sudafed from a pharmacist. They contain pseudoephederine and actually work, as opposed to the phenylepherin in the normal ones which as far as I can tell do absolutely nothing.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Paracetamol, rest and stay hydrated.

I don’t buy into all this ‘manflu’ bollocks, it’s just sexist BS, but it seems to drive some to pretend they’re not ill, or think they can beat an infection through willpower.

Worse still you get the type who’ll show up day after day for a week in work, do next to nothing because their brain isn’t working properly, make everyone else sick – THEN take the day off they needed in the first place. Just sit on your arse and watch TV for a day and you’ll be better sooner and you won’t bring the whole office/workshop/site/mine/sweatshop down with you.

DT78
    Free Member

Guilty as charged. Though I will go to the docs sooner next time.
    interestingly doctor said bed rest wouldn’t mean I’d get better sooner than going into work, so didn’t sign me off…..which means I’ll be sat there coughing and spluttering over my colleagues….

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I recommend a course of moaning and whinging, you may as well get yours in before your nearest and dearest contract your disease and you’ll have to suffer theirs.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

+1 on paracetemol and pseudoephedrine hydrochloride ( boots did their own). On a side note its worth taking a note of the different phases .. snot /sore throat manageable.. start coughing up lumps for a while and I’m down at the quacks.

Oh and Get well soon to those with man flu.. I dont think women understand the pain we go through 😉

zilog6128

I don’t buy into all this ‘manflu’ bollocks, it’s just sexist BS, but it seems to drive some to pretend they’re not ill, or think they can beat an infection through willpower.

When the phrase was first coined it was an ironic term – mocking blokes who would overplay having the sniffles so they could get the wife to wait on them or get out of cutting the grass, etc.

Now it seems to be a catch-all term for a man with any kind of RTI or like you say to underplay the seriousness of an ailment. Which is just dumb.

DaRC_L

Mary Hinge + 1 except it started in September.

Since then been snotty, with chest phlegm always worse at night. Just when I think it’s getting better it gets worse. Finally badgered into going to Dr’s who said “yeah getting better, probably had 1 virus followed by another virus.” so I’m not going to die but just have to MTFU.

Thinking of buying shares in Jakemens lozenges 😥 & chesty cold/flu paracetamol manufacturers.

gonzy
    Free Member

had the same issue just before Christmas. wife got it then gave it to me as an early christmas present.
    tried paracetamol and then moved up to ibuprofen but no joy after 4 days. then i found a box of co-codamol….after 3 doses over the next 48 hours i was back to normal apart from a dry cough which took an extra day to clear.
    wifey had had it for 2 days prior to me and she was still suffering even after i was cured. i then managed to make her take some co-codamol and again with 48 hours she was feeling much better.

longmover
    Free Member

phal and half a bottle of whiskey, no germs will be able to survive that onslaught

ransos
    Free Member

For those needing decongestant, ask for the original Sudafed from a pharmacist. They contain pseudoephederine and actually work, as opposed to the phenylepherin in the normal ones which as far as I can tell do absolutely nothing.

Yep – I found exactly this when I had the flu (actual flu!) last year. Apparently, supply of pseudoephedrine is restricted due to it being used in making illegal drugs, but you can still get it over the counter.

seosamh77
    Free Member

start your training program, sweat it out ye.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Drink the blood of your enemies.

podgeskeeper
    Free Member

nightnurse liquid and sleep. Of course if you take the nightnurse you get the sleep whether you wanted it or not but its the best cure I’ve found.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

had it for two weeks prior to christmas and feel like I’m getting it again – plan on hitting it hard tonight with curry, whisky and shots of grated ginger/lemon juice/honey/garlic.

Don’t blow your nose too hard, snot is working for you not against you.

shermer75
    Free Member

Hot mug of orange juice and hand sanitizer, with cloves

honeybadgerx

Handful of coal and a pint of mushy peas, followed by rubbing your chest with goose fat.

sandboy

My physio explained that the paracetamol and citric acid react to cause the body core temp to increase which helps to fight off infection. His advice was to get wrapped up in blankets/sleeping bag and sweat it out.

DrP

My physio explained that the paracetamol and citric acid react to cause the body core temp to increase which helps to fight off infection

Eh? Paracetamol is an antipyretic..lowers body temp in fevers (you can’t just take it if you’re a bit hot, like on hollybobs or something…)
    And citric acid is the lemony flavour that’s costing you a pound twenty…

THe best thing to do is put one index finger in your mouth, the other index finger up your jacksie, and after 2-3 weeks you should be feeling better…

DrP

scaredypants

😀 DrP
    (much better evidence for medium-sized coconut up the jacksie)

Vit C supposedly helps prevent colds (if you’re a competitive marathon runner or xc skier) but has next to no useful effect in treating them for pretty much anybody

mattbee

I’m feeling awful so I have just had a hot toddy. Well, I say that. Got no lemon. The honey has solidified and I couldn’t be arsed to chisel any out of the jar. Seemed daft to bother boiling the kettle after those two discoveries. Ok. I had a mug full of Jura. Just feel awful and drunk too now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Man flu cures’ is closed to new replies.