Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • man down, man down – Cut Gate
  • higgo
    Free Member

p.s. I did manage to self-evacuate with my 'hurty knee' last night and made it to the pub before I gave it a dab with an antiseptic wipe.

porterclough
    Free Member

When one of our team broke his leg playing football last year the ref phoned for an ambulance, and quite right too. No-one was going to risk moving him and possibly making things worse, and how would we have driven him to hospital anyway? You could hold your arm steady and get in a car, you can't do that with a broken leg.

Some of the people on here sound like the opposing team who asked us to roll the guy off the pitch and carry on playing – they were lucky not receive any injuries themselves at that point.

steveh

Air ambulances aren't use it or lose it as they are all charities and not owned by the NHS/ambulance services.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I do not have a medical background or indeed have any first aid training. Therefore I am not qualified to make an assessment.

I stand by my decision to ring the emergency services. The lad took a heavy fall, was sure he'd broken his collarbone and laid down looking pale.

I didn't ask for the air ambulance I asked for mountian rescue. I thought if required they would stretcher him from his location to where an ambulance could pick them up.

The air ambulance decision was made by the operator based on the information I provided. Apart from a grid reference I told him about the fall, his suspected injury, and location.

higgo
    Free Member

I do not have … any first aid training.

Get some (irrespective of the events and rights/wrongs of Saturday).

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I still would have contacted the emergency services

solman
    Free Member

The problem with people on this forum is that you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.

Kingofbiscuits – you did the right thing, as you had no first aid training you couldn't accurately assess the chaps injuries and how serious they were. Broken collarbone may have been apparent, but in the unlikely event it could have been worse. You did the best thing you could and called mountain rescue who are best placed to assess that. If they chose to send out a helicopter then thats their decision.

The rest of you high horse riding fools, I hope I never have to depend on your help if I ever break anything on the trail 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

For anyone who wasn't there, it's just speculation and comment.

The problem people on this forum is that you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.

You're not wrong there. Can you imagine the reaction if KOB had started a thread along the lines of:

"I was on Cut Gate today. I saw a guy fall – it looked like he'd done his collarbone and he was a bit pale but I left him to sort himself out. Anyone know how he is?"

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I might do next time 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

KingofBiscuits – Member

I stand by my decision to ring the emergency services

In the end only you and others there at the time can make that call.

I just would be embarrassed to have got an air ambulance for a broken collar bone. I do have some relevant skills and the confidence to use them however. There is a road not far away – walking the casualty out to the road while someone rides off to get the ambulance informed speeds up the process as does driving the casualty direct to hospital.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘man down, man down – Cut Gate’ is closed to new replies.