Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Man buns?
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

When did this ever begin? I’ve not seen any here in the Deep South yet, but apparently they are all the rage elsewhere. If I and my middle aged grizzled grade two cut ever see one in real life I’m going to find it hard not to laugh out loud.

martinhutch

?

ohnohesback
    Free Member
    racefaceec90

lovewookie

I have what I like to call, a ‘loose bun’ just to keep in with the trends you know (ok, ok, it’s a ponytail).

DezB
    Free Member

I love nothing more to look at a selfie of a bloke what he’s taken in his bathroom mirror. Thanks!

cinnamon_girl

Oh yes, they have been seen in the South! One of my removal chaps sported one, made me giggle. 😀

maccruiskeen

Suns out, buns out.

cinnamon_girl

If you want to see ‘blokes’ looking totally ridiculous then feast your eyes on ‘Love Island’. 😯

Not for the feint-hearted.

andrewy

Apparently they make your face so tight that you can’t say ‘cheeeese’ for a photo 🙄

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I saw one in Oxford the other day, I had violent visions of throwing a tyre over his neck, dousing him in petrol and burning him to death on the spot they burnt Thomas Cramner.

I think that’s a fitting punishment for this level of arseholery.

Cougar

Ah, a top-knot. It all becomes clear.

I can’t work out whether they’re trying to be Samurai or Jedi.

spawnofyorkshire

I can’t work out whether they’re trying to be Samurai or Jedi.

Nope, they are just providing everyone with an easy way of identifying them as a bellend

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Hmm yes we have several at work… that and wearing of shorts and flip flops in the office…not in my Dept!

AdamW
    Free Member

Enters thread excitedly.

Is disappoint (apart from racefaceec90). 😥

munrobiker
    Free Member

Surprisingly I’ve seen a few in the north of England.

I have queried the women I know about it and none like it, so I’m not sure who it’s for. It’s obvious that they look like bellends, isn’t it? Even to themselves?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Even our dads weren’t this vicious? The worst I got in my yoof was good-natured ribbing for having long hair (‘are you a wench?’), never threats of bodily harm. Well, not often.

I tied it up in all kinds of ways, was always amused at the resultant apoplexy/scorn from certain other men, never really understood it but it made me more adamant to do what I wanted not what they expected. Now it’s all gone, I’m spared from the whole shenanigans, people just assume I’m a hardnut/skinhead.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fashionist

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

….waits for someone to up that vid of a guy cutting top-knots off in SA….

cinnamon_girl

So … who’s too frightened to own up to having a man bun?

😉

jamesfts
    Free Member

Man buns…

Get in the ******* sea.

rOcKeTdOg

I just wish I had enough hair for anyone to take the piss out of tbh

D0NK

Problem solved.

can’t believe I clicked on that link, god knows what “targeted” ads I’m going to get now

D0NK

I tied it up in all kinds of ways, was always amused at the resultant apoplexy/scorn from certain other men

on the one hand I disagree with this and good for you doing what you want rather than bowing to conformity.

On the other, pointing out when someone looks a bellend when they have jumped on the latest fad is quite possibly fair game.
    See also fluro enduro pyjamas 🙂

sandwicheater

No one clocked Mr Josh ‘Rat Boy’ Bryceland sporting one in the syndicate videos? Didn’t strike me as odd. Dudes got a wod of hair, do what you please with it.

jeffl

Saw one in the provincial Chesterfield. Made me and the wife laugh.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Certainly proving popular as candidates for ‘getting in the sea’ (warning very naughty language):

https://twitter.com/getinthesea/status/613254831617232896/photo/1
    https://twitter.com/getinthesea/status/613064166652407808/photo/1

nickc

Old blokes laughing at young bloke’s fashions…that’ll never catch on

DezB
    Free Member

On the other, pointing out when someone looks a bellend when they have jumped on the latest fad is quite possibly fair game.

See also fluro enduro pyjamas
    See also trendybeards

munrobiker
    Free Member

Nick- I’m a young bloke and find it pretty repulsive.

ourmaninthenorth

Not sure I understand the problem. People have hair, they experiment with long/short/loose/tied up.

Oh, and I hope your closed mindedness doesn’t extend to Sikhs….

DezB
    Free Member

Oh god… sneer at man-buns? RACISTS!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Why shouldnt close-mindedness extend towards Sikhs? The point being made (I believe) is that long hair on men makes them look (to certain others) like idiots. If they tie that long hair up in manner of a current style-trend, then unlike ‘fades’ and side-partings etc (1950s male haircuts) they are deemed especially affectatious, feminine, precious self-conscious, etc etc. if only they’d do the side-parting short thing they could redeem their vile selves. Basically all of the US/UK stereotypes still apply towards men with long hair since the days when it somehow became verboten. I’d be interested to know if, say, Swedish, Spanish, Japanese or Native American men face the same prejudice?

Indian males seem to have similar issues.:

http://mysay.in/2013/06/27/man-with-long-hair/

^The writer of the article assumes (hilariously) that Western males don’t encounter the same prejudice. I started growing my hair out at 14, because I liked to have long hair, partly as I identified with rock music other than the new mod revival craze whichI saw as conformist (irony!)

From 14 – 30 I was ocassionally accused of all kinds of things – all on account of being a male with long hair (either loose or tied in various ways. Strange men would (only ever when they are in groups or with a girl/girls) literally bray from across a bar or someplace : “Ha, what the F*** do you think you look like?”. Often this was aggressive as well as mocking. Sometimes the two are hard to separate.

What was always true in their mind is that I fully deserved it. Growing up in the industrial Midlands piss-taking was and is common among friends and colleagues. It’s expected and often forms the greater part of any conversation, also a lot of fun yet it needs to be done right, like sarcasm, it’s a fine line. Yet when strangers feel obliged to sneer and make it known to your face it’s a whole different thing. Feels horrible. Especially when they themselves are partaking of a growing social fad of sneering at people who somehow failed the style-test.

spawnofyorkshire

I think it’s more the
    look at me
    Oi, look at me
    NO seriously, look at me
    LOOK AT ME
    Please look at me because i need you to validate that i’m cool
    nature of the selfie taking man-bun knobishness than I find irritating.
    But with that lot it’s just the man bun that’s giving the visual cue at the moment. I bet there’s a good correlation between man buns and non-prescription glasses at the moment

scruff9252

So for those that are so quick to sneer at the way other people choose to style their hair, post up pics of your own hair doo for us to all have a laugh at.

Hey, we might even crack some jokes about burning you to death, coz that’s big & funny. Right?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use one, ties my hair up nicely under my helmet when riding.. Use an alice band too on occasion when mucking about..

Can’t see the problem with them TBH.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

problem solved

Argh! Does Poe’s law apply to that article? (April 1st)

Maybe we should vilify women with ‘look at me, ME’ short skirts? Don’t they deserve the burning tyre and public scorn/mockery treatment? It’s a red flag innit? Like a public signal that they are bell-ends…and I always see selfies of men in beards, or men with side-partings. This confirms to us that man in beards and/or side partings are ponces. Unless they are non-white. Which is a whole other issue… 🙄

DezB
    Free Member

Something upset you Malvern Rider?

Stoner
    Free Member

I think he might have a bee in his bun.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Real men (cough) dont worry about this fashion thing, this oooh must look a certain way thing. Real men do whatever they want with their hair, their beard, their facial hair, they wear a bun if they want, they have a skinhead if they want… the saddo’s to be ridiculed are those that have the, usually, corporate hair cut, pussy’s the lot of ya. Be yerself and man up. MTFU.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Man buns?’ is closed to new replies.