Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Man + Baking a cake = Chocolate beer cake… how many other men bake?
    Free Member

Following on from an excellent article from Delia, I am in the process of baking a cake, chocolate beer cake to be exact, made with good ‘ol Guinness.

How many other men who frequent STW do such things?

A question of masculinity?

jt

Gary_M
    Free Member

A question of masculinity?

Couldn’t care less what other people think – love a bit of baking, my fruit bars/flapjacks are the best ever.

samuri
    Free Member

I cook a fair bit. From the looks of it there are way more (butch) men in cooking/baking than there are ladies. Although that bell end on hells kitchen at the moment winds me up a bit.

ElGringo
    Free Member

Nigella Lawson has a fantastic chocolate guiness cake, with a double cream and philedelphia topping, it is a doddle to make, and rocks the proverbial phat one!
    Bloke makes great cake: everyone loves bloke’s cake, and thus bloke by association. what couldbe wrong there. Nothing to do with questionable masculinity, everything to do with great cakes!

Mrs_Gringo and I do most of the cooking together. Means I get to “test” the food at various stages, staving off the hunger for just a few seconds longer….

MrBlond
    Free Member

Chocolate guinness cake????

Recipe please!

Free Member

Ahh, i’m certainly not questioning my masculinity, my dads dad was a *fantastic* pastry sheff indeed, and i’m confident in my abilities 😉

Just can’t see any of my mates baking!

I’ve just nicked a bit of the icing, yummy yummy yummy ;))))

tombird
    Free Member

Beer cake – that is amazing, I’ll definitely be making that.

Thanks

dan1980
    Free Member

In the past I’ve made a lot of my friends birthday cakes. I also tend to do most of the cooking in the house. It’s not that my girlfriend is a rubbish cook, she isn’t (and might read this!) it’s just something I prefer to do. Playing with heat and “implements” makes me feel all manly!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How many other men who frequent STW do such things?

I do.
    It’s not a question of masculinity, it’s a question of needing good cake!
    😀

donald
    Free Member

Mrs Donald makes a fantastic Old Peculiar chocolate cake.

I’m more of an “eat cake” than a “make cake” kind of guy.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I use Guinness’ own chocolate cake recipe to make Guinness muffins. They’re ace, people at work scoff without hesitation them down whenever i take any in!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I do most of the cooking in our house – and I do bake sometimes tho not much recently

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I do pretty much all the cooking in our household – Mrs ADH does the washing up. I think I won there 😉

That said, the baking I do is mainly confined to a few loaves of bread. I don’t bake much. I did make rubarb merengue for Sunday dinner.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I bake cakes (come on a STW northern ride for some) and make all my own bread (even sourdoughs) just love it very therapeutic and usually do it when listening to footy on the radio but a couple of times a week minimum.
    Can do fancy cakes with icing/decorations etc and all that but dont bother much unless it is th ekids birthday. Thomas cake anyone?
    Make my own chocolates as well and have some moulds for doing that such as eggs and Xmas decorations…once made some Dalek chocolates for my wife.
    Dead easy once you get the basics.

toby1

Baking is cool, and not in the least bit un-manly (I bent my wrist over as I said this :P)

Both my bread and brownies are well liked by people 🙂

willy
    Free Member

i bake and cook all the time, im at uni , im 19 and the women love it 8)

MrAgreeable

Willy, that’s because they view you as asexual and non-threatening, rather than someone they’d like to cop off with. 😉

Anyway, I bake a lot too, it’s satisfying and it’s cheaper than buying nice shop-bought stuff. My mum has also let me borrow her Kenwood Chef, which seems to be the Ti 456 of food mixers.

Richie_B

I bake a lot cake consumption in our house is huge as Mrs Richie_B is breast feeding and our oldest is at an age where he runs round like a lunatic until his sugar levels crash then goes into absolute meltdown so emergency cakes to hand are good.

There was a fantastic apple & raisin based energy bar/cake (It came out more cake like when I baked it) on here about a year ago. I would bake it more often but it has enough calories in to keep a whole cycling club going on full gas without a break for a 100 (Forms a permanent bond with merino wool to, when it escapes from its tin foil wrapping).

pault41
    Free Member

B[/b]baking cakes a must do ,blueberry,chocn walnut muffins were the last creation,what ever comes to hand in the cupboard cake.

Do me own bread to, bread machine easy way, do dough then knock up rolls ,cheap riding stosh then,loads seed nuts etc.

Also Ex butcher so do me pies n scotch eggs a Must.

not a question of masculinity just got to eat.!!!

DaRC_L

Dammm ADH where did I go wrong – I do the cooking and the washing up, mind you she* does the cleaning and clothes washing.

I don’t tend to find time for baking cakes though.

ourmaninthenorth

I think I might make a good baker.

However, Mrs North – a good cook in any event – spent some time off work last year, and got cake baking down to a fine art. On more than on occasion, I would nip out of the house for an hour, and come back to find two cakes nicely cooling. How did she do that?

Oh, and there’s nothing effeminate about baking. Look at the Hairy Bikers..!

alwyn
    Free Member

Part time second chef, I don’t get much a choice and make a mean brownie.

Free Member

I don’t think I could talk about the last choc brownie I made, it was approx 6 or so years ago… interesting indeed.

Well.

I have made cake, threw on some ‘icing’ (its supposed to be anyway)

And some walnuts… the cocoa was supposed to be sifted on, but it was in the sink, so instead was err, strategically placed on top.

Patience is a virtue or something on those lines. Will have a slice of that in an hour or so.

2tyred

I bake all the bread eaten in our house – all by hand, no machine. Can’t beat it. I do a mean flapjack too.

Mrs Tyred is the master cake-baker though. Since becoming a stay-at-home mum, she’s got right into it and post-ride cakes are a common occurence!

juan
    Free Member

people know me as the brownie master

steve-g
    Free Member

does juan know what juan is saying?

juan
    Free Member

Yes I kick ass at baking brownies… Baking is the topic of this thread isn’t it?

Free Member

And to report it tastes alright!

Notes to self; put more cream & walnuts between the two, perhaps use the plain flour + baking powder instead of self raising (its what was in the cupboard).

but it’s really very light sponge and perhaps could have cooked for about 25/28 mins (in my oven)…

try try try again 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

I love baking, especially good at bun loaf and lemon merangiue pie – totally home made inc the lemon curd and the pastry.

Also do a mean Steak & Guiness Ale Pie, Puff Pastry included 😀

furry_marmot
    Free Member

I love cooking and baking – right up there with riding bikes and snowboards. my grandmothers were German/Hungarian and Italian; they passed on most of their baking knowledge to my mother and I learnt by watching her when I was young. I still have much to learn, but that’s normal in cooking – you get better as you get older. I’d love to make enough money to retire at 45 and open a restaurant but I fear that’s just a pipedream…

It always disappoints me that making cakes is seen as girly or effeminate. What upsets me even more is when friends and colleagues are willing to gorge themselves on junk food, sweets and alcohol between meals, but decline a second (or third) piece of a really good cake/dessert.

Jon, that cake would have benefited most from actually having some chocolate in the recipe. I *really* don’t rate any “chocolate cake” which only contains cocoa. then again, I don’t rate Delia full stop: her food is either a re-hashed version of somebody else’s (superior) recipe or just plain unimaginative. Plus I’ll never forget listening to one of her call-in radio shows as a young teenager and being able to answer a question which she had to “defer to one of her assistants”…

Willy, keep going just as you are. most girls love a man they see as (partially) domesticated. furthermore, in my experience high-quality Cake is an A1 route to getting a girl into bed.

Free Member

If anyone has any further recipe for cake/beer that would be grand, please do let me know!!

jt

Sandwich

As my joblesstrackworld status continues I am now the Sandwich household domestic cooking god. Always baked cakes but now I’m making all sorts of dinners etc. Risotto is now off pat and I’m starting to make things up for myself.

Joxster
    Free Member

I’m a professional Chocolatier so I do a fair bit of baking and cooking 8)

Nick

I bake loads of bread, it’s almost a hobby of mine, my wife on the other hand is a prize winning cake maker so I don’t even compete there.

MKII
    Free Member

As our most famous backstreet mechanic once said… “Teaching boys to bake cakes?…that’s no way to maintain an industrial empire”

willmalein
    Free Member

Not quite as fancy looking as jontawn’s effort but it helped use up some old bananas, gave me a nice break from revision and tastes pretty damn good too!

funkynick

I love baking cakes, brownies, bread, allsorts… made one of my friends wedding cake and even got given a Kitchen Aid by t’other half for my birthday… but I have to be very careful as I tend to end up eating most of said cakes and brownies, which certainly isn’t very good for the waistline!

T’other half also reckons my brownies are the best in the world… and I might have to concur!

Ooooh, and this weekend I’m going to experiment with making scones and cake in a charcoal oven while camping… :o) fresh scones for breakfast anyone?

Joxster
    Free Member

Home made Tattie Scones for breakfast……..Mmmmmmmmmmm

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Man + Baking a cake = Chocolate beer cake… how many other men bake?’ is closed to new replies.