Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Man arrested for not smiling at the olympics
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

They added that Worsfold had had “a number of knives” in his possession, but that these turned out to be made of rubber and for use only as display items.

They should’ve shot the bastard.

IHN

Hmmm, tricky one. I suppose they have to be on the look out for people acting suspiciously and that’s what they deemed he was doing.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I think you’ll find his arrest came from the fact he’d been demonstrating marshall arts nearby, and was ‘armed’. His demeanor was just the icing on the cake. Makes a good headline though.

mcboo
    Free Member

Chief Superintendent Gavin Stephens said: “Officers were policing huge numbers of people during the Olympic events and in the interests of public safety they acted quickly and decisively based on the information available to them.”

Campaigners, however, said the incident was illustrative of the kind of “chronic misunderstandings” people with Parkinson’s have to deal with regularly. “Sadly Mark’s experience highlights the lack of understanding and compassion that many people currently living with Parkinson’s have to deal with every day,” said Laura Bowey, head of information and support at Parkinson’s UK.

“Despite affecting over 127,000 people in the UK, people with Parkinson’s are subject to chronic misunderstandings and misconceptions about the condition. All too frequently people with Parkinson’s tell us how are they are accused of being drunk, or acting suspiciously as they go about their daily lives.

“Parkinson’s is a complex condition, and those living with it can experience a range of different symptoms that can vary almost on an hourly basis. We hope that Mark’s experience will help to raise awareness of this distressing problem and will be a reminder to be careful about making the wrong assumptions about people who have Parkinson’s.”

Seems like a difficult situation people with Parkinsons have to deal with. I never knew this about the disease. Predictable childishness from the OP. Doesnt reflect badly on the guy, the police or the Olympics.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Pretty tasteless headline from the Guardian

What exactly is “tasteless” about this headline :

Olympics spectator with Parkinson’s wants ‘exoneration’ after arrest

EDIT : I can see by your edit that you have had second thoughts concerning your knee-jerk anti-Guardian comments. Good for you.

allthegear
    Free Member

He had a number of rubber knives in his possession? He didn’t think that might be a really stupid thing to have with him at such an event?

Honestly, in the same position, I would have arrested him as well.

Rachel

nealglover
    Free Member

The statement said: “Surrey police has received a letter from the man in which he has said that he ‘fully understands and appreciates the action taken by officers’. He has also said that he ‘appreciated and thanked both the arresting officers for their apologies and explanations’ following his release.”

Seems fair enough then.

Everyone’s is happy.

Must have been a slow news day yesterday with Team GB not collecting any medals, so they went back a story that clearly wasn’t interesting enough to print when it actual happened over a week ago :rolleyes:

molgrips
    Free Member

He wasn’t arrested for not smiling, was he? Bloody obviously.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Wrong assumptions are all too easy – some years ago I worked in a country hotel with lots of grounds, early one morning we saw a guy wandering around the gardens when approached the assumption was he was drunk and incoherent as well as uncooperative so he was left alone. Turned out he was diabetic and had to be taken to hospital.
    The cops at the RR would have been on the alert for potential trouble makers so unfortunate incident, yes; but not really worthy of another “copbashing” story.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Man arrested for not smiling at the olympics’ is closed to new replies.