Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mamod Steam Engines
  • hardupdad
    Free Member

Hello Mamodtrackworld

It’s my dads 60th is around the corner and I thought it’d be cool to give him his mamod steam engine back as a present. It needs some new valves and pressure testing to make sure it’s safe.

Anyone got any experience of these or repairs?

Also I want to get a feature to power with the engine. Any suggestions?

br
    Free Member

No, but just been looking at the price of them on ebay 😯

Good fun though, we’ve the static engine.

PTR
    Free Member

Try Forest Classics, or Manor Models for the spares. You can get air adaptors if you want to test it, it’s only low pressure so not much can go wrong. If you don’t change the valves, you should at least put new fibre washers on it.
    Forest Classics do a dynamo, if you want to drive something, I use the dynamo to run a small LED, bulbs need too much power. E-bay for used tools or workshop WS1, check out Wilesco for tools, they do the usual grinders, but the saws look good.

dannybgoode

I had a Mamod traction engine years and years ago-loved it.

Can’t wait until babybgoode is old enough to use as an excuse to get me one!

cannondaleking
    Free Member

As above manor models for spares also try ebay but be wary as flee bay can go over rrp price easily for some reason

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Would it provide enough power to charge a mobile phone? A dynamo and regulator circuit shouldn’t be too hard to put together.

ampthill

My childhood Mamod still runs. The washers aren’t great but it orked

It still says something like £14.95 on the box. It seemed a fortune back then

I did check that the safety valve would move

project
    Free Member

Many years ago, walking past a toy shop called Craft Toys, saw a Mamod steam traction engine, went in with my mum, told it was about 20 quid, a lot of money those days, i couldnt afford it.

Not to worry it fueled my intrest in engineering and i got an apprenticeship as a Patternmaker,one job i got was making a pattern for brake blocks for a loco, along with many chairs for the rails to fit in.

Looking at the newer Manod compared to the old,the quality isnt there, more tinny on the new stuff.

But still great to see the company still going.

brooess
    Free Member

My Dad used to run his train round the garage floor. Not sure what was in that solid fuel but you could only stay in there for so long!

TooTall
    Free Member

If you want to show your love for an engineer…..

http://www.en.boehm-stirling.com/engines.html

(drag your pointer over the images)

Classik Smoking sounds lovely.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mamod Steam Engines’ is closed to new replies.