Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Mam Tor questions
  • MrSparkle

Over the Christmas holidays I will be going to spread my parents ashes. I have never been to the area before so I have a few questions. I will be taking my wife and the kids and so will be looking to walk to the summit after driving there. Where is a good spot to drive to for a shortish walk up? How far would we be walking? On the way back we are planning on going to a pub/restaurant for lunch – any recommendations?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

crazy-legs

Park up on the road HERE, it's free. Walk down the Broken Road to the hairpin bend then straight on up the footpath to Hollins Cross summit.
    Turn L, walk up the packed stone packhorse style trail to Mam Tor, drop down the other side, down this footpath HERE

Then either along the road back to where you parked or straight on forking L across Windy Knoll, over the road then double back L towards Blue John Cavern and the car park.

Pub, I'd recommend The Lamb Inn which is HERE, about a 10 min drive away but I'd definitely book a table!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Park in the NT car park, it's what pays for all the erosion control.

it's by mam nick, the walk to the top is short but steep with some steps

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Crazy-legs speaks the truth.

bassspine
    Free Member

What a lovely place to do it.(We spread my mum's and Dad's ashes at Bossiney Cove, they loved the place.)

http://www.ifishoulddie.co.uk/scattering-or-interring-ashes-c71.html

hora
    Free Member

Whats that pub called where we ate at after the STW ride a few weeks ago? I want their burger and fries again- divine. Thats on the list to eat at again SOON.

midlifecrashes

Would help to know where your start point is, but there is a fairly big car park at Mam Nick, just down on the Castleton side of the ridgeline. From there it is basically a half mile walk including a fair bit of steps up to the wide summit and the cairn.

Most likely other approach would be from Edale car parks, adding a couple of miles. The other way would be along the ridge from Lose Hill (you could start in Hope) or pick up the ridge at Hollins Cross (start either in Edale or Castleton).

As for the food, all I can say is we really like Fox House, between Hathersage and Sheffield, and avoid the Ramblers Inn in Edale, even if you are cold, starving, it's snowing, and the Nags Head is on fire. There are plenty of options in Castleton, and the Woodbine Cafe in Hope does nice grub too.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Castleton rocks for food and beer! Good place to start & finish a ride. IMO Good chippie around the corner from the Youth Hostel if you need something quick.

cp

as mentioned, it's a tiny walk from the mam nick car park – 5 mins to the top.

It does get VERY VERY busy up there, so I'd go very early morning or if not, very late afternoon (like going dark late). Unless you want an audience and/or the ashes covering other people.

You can wander off the peak a little bit where it is quieter, but you'll pretty much be over looked anywhere round there.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it's what pays for all the erosion control

I like erosion. Eventually it hits bedrock which is quality 🙂 Except in Yorkshire where there is no bottom…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

we scattered half of my grandmother's ashes on Stanage Edge and (i apologise if finding humour in the event offends, we found it funny and she certainly would have) I can highly recommend you take consideration as to the wind direction.

I'd second cp's comments regarding numbers of people. go early or late in the day. It's a very emotional event and having thousands of ramblers around would be a bit impersonal.

robidoo
    Free Member

Hora that pub where we had the big Cheese burgers was called The Rambler.
    I have been thinking of going back for more food, proper size portions too.

MrSparkle

Thanks all. Very much appreciated.

Bunnyhop

Sorry to hear of your loss MrSparkle.
    crazy-legs is spot on.

Just to add abit more humour. My father's ashes were left in a little pot type thing by the funeral directors. We came home one afternoon to find them in the porch, no note, nothing, just sitting there. It certainly made us smile in an otherwise very sad time.

hora
    Free Member

Hora that pub where we had the big Cheese burgers was called The Rambler.
    I have been thinking of going back for more food, proper size portions too.

Right. Im there this weekend 😀

snowslave

Boycott the rambler! They are mean nasty and rude to bikers. Use the Nags Head in Edale. It's a much nicer pub, better beer and food too.

hora
    Free Member

They werent rude to us. Were you in cyclegear and wet or muddy?

porterclough
    Free Member

OT but The Rambler doesn't seem well liked:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/comments.shtml/6895/

I had a pint and some food there after a bike ride 18 months or so ago and it was OK, but not brilliant. Wouldn't have gone there unless it was convenient (which being near the bottom of Jacob's Ladder, it was).

druidh
    Free Member

Sorry to put a dampener on things, but please don't do it. Some popular spots are undergoing soil and fauna change due to the increased nutrients.

hora
    Free Member

I like it and I'm not exactly the shy retiring type (i.e. one who keeps his bloody mouth shut).

snowslave

I can't be bothered listing the bad experiences at that pub, but there've been enough to scratch it from the list, especially when the Nag's Head is just up the road and so much better in every respect.

hora
    Free Member

OT- Snowslave whats fave in Chorlton?

snowslave

The Bar, Dulcimer, Horse and Jockey

finbar
    Free Member

Sorry to put a dampener on things, but please don't do it. Some popular spots are undergoing soil and fauna change due to the increased nutrients.

Evidence? And surely ashes are just carbon? Which is readily provided in most areas by animal poo, dead sheep etc. anyway.

hora
    Free Member

I know its full of old men who fart alot and tired Lesbians but I still love the Marble 😀

snowslave

oh yes, I like that one too. Old men farting in pubs is a winner

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yeah i'd love to see some evidence of that in open areas onion, it's a struggle trying to keep the soil on mam tor as it is.

hora
    Free Member

Bestmate was with all his family ready to cast his mums ashes at her favourite spot- wind turned and the ashes blew back allover them. It made him laugh 🙂

MadBillMcMad

Sorry to hear about your loss MrSparkle.

Mam Tor is an amazing place and some great riding.

The walk along the ridge to Lose Hill via Hollins Cross is lovely – enjoy.

Another great alternative is to train to Edale and walk to Hope station.

Can't believe you have never ridden there.
    Plan a ride from Hayfield some time, up to Mam Tor & back via Jacobs Ladder.

Suggsey
    Free Member

You are okay, thats only Scotland and Wales and I am glad someone else pointed out to check the wind direction. Have many funny one liners but dont suppose this would be the respectful time to be postiing them.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Mam Tor questions’ is closed to new replies.