Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Malware Bytes Premium *and* Windows Defender or just the latter
  • wwaswas

So Malwarebytes claim to offer ransomware protection etc on their premium product.

Is it worth £30 for a couple of years of whatever extra protection Malwarebytes gives over and above Windows Defender?

For the sake of argument can we assume that PC is being used by people who aren’t that tech savvy…

Stoner
    Free Member

So Malwarebytes claim to offer ransomware protection etc on their premium product.

oh the ironing! 😀

ChromeOS Rools!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Backup is the best protection against ransomware or if you’re me not giving a flying one about your data.

If it’s a business thing though you really need a proper plan rather than just picking products.

wwaswas

P-Jay – I think I’d rather pay the £30 *and* have a backup if it’s going to save me having to do a restore even only once.

[edit]

oh the ironing! well, yes – hence, in part the question!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Have a look at this.

Open DNS

wwaswas

how’s that going to protect me from someone who has access to my pc opening a zip file? (and I guess woudl malwarebytes or defender?)

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I can’t comment on the quality of the protection that malwarebytes gives, it’s pretty hard to for any product of that type. But from a pure usability point of view, its pretty ropey. I would consider it a refined beta version, rather than a fully releasable. The best example I can give, is that this weekend for no apparent reason it started moaning that the database was out of date. I found 3 different places in the application that effectively said click here to update, and all 3 of them did nothing at all or were greyed out.
    /rant

Cougar

how’s that going to protect me from someone who has access to my pc opening a zip file?

A non-privileged user account would be a good start.

plyphon
    Free Member

The best defence against ransomware is:

1: Internet age common sense
    2: Keeping your OS updated

And also, Microsoft Security Essentials is mostly all you need for home PC’s. Again, it needs to be kept updated.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Plyphon, you missed out the most important item….

0: Backup your data.

If, done properly, this not only protects against ransomware, but viruses, hardware failure, theft, water leaks and all manner of other potential catastrophes.

Alex

I binned McAfee that came with my Dell laptop. It was just so bloaty and seemed to be the cause of issues I was having with Chrome. I just run Defender now, but only tend to view about 5 websites on this (work) laptop. And am pretty careful with any attachments to emails I don’t recognise the senders.

I just keep all my data by default in the cloud. And backup to an external disk once a week.

Cougar

2: Keeping your OS updated

And apps. The last time I looked into this in any depth (which granted was a year or two back), the single biggest points of infection by a very large margin indeed were out-of-date copies of Acrobat Reader and Java.

I binned McAfee

Generally the best thing to do with it, really.

brassneck

0: Backup your data.

Seeing how wannacry acts, it seems a manual copy of the priceless stuff to removable media and then REMOVING IT makes sense now – I’ve been happily chugging along with the Time Machine A Like backup in windows 10 and t’s have fubar’d that. PITA, but only way to be sure is to take it off grid.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Malware Bytes Premium *and* Windows Defender or just the latter’ is closed to new replies.