Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Malverns route?
  • footflaps

Anyone got a nice long Malverns MTB route preferably with a GPX file?

Want to explore the area this WE….

nunuboogie
    Free Member

If you don't get one pop into to back on track, excellent bike shop and they have route maps too.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Malverns is my regular haunt. The whole place is quite compact. Have you ever been before?

footflaps

Other than Mayhem, not ridden there.

Thanks for the GPS trail nb.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

The Mayhem is on Eastnor Park. Not quite the malverns but close.

The Malverns can offer a mix of riding, however during the day time on weekends, theres sometimes so many walkers.

I think the best place to start is from Hollybush. If you go past the Mayhem entrance (eastnor park) coming from Ledbury, keep following the road for about 3 miles until you see a sign that says Hollybush, about 50 yards after this is a gravel car park on the left. Its free to park and starts you at a good height (even though you still have to climb). This is basically the start of the Malverns which is accessible easily.

From the car park, looking toward the hill infront of you, you can go two directions, up the tarmac/gravel road on the left, or, if you're feeling energetic, you can go right to the end of the car park and over the gate and head up onto hollybush hill itself. Both end up the in the same place.

From there follow the trail down and you'll end up at the back of Eastnor park, take a right through the woods and it'll take you up on the Malverns. Use the single track on the right which will take you to a single pedestrial gate (not the cattle gate) which you can go through and follow the path up onto the Malverns. From here, you can go where you like. You can pretty much see the whole of the malvern hills from this point.

One thing I would say is that there is no riding allowed on top of British Camp as its a protected monument. But to be fair, you're not going to know this since there are no signs. A great help. If you get caught by a warden I would claim its your first time there and you've come from Hollybush direction. They can only tell you to get off your bike.

As I said, the Malverns are full of walkers on the weekends so look out. Some dislike mountain bikers, but you are allowed to ride on the Malverns so just ignore them. If you see some no cycling signs then just redirect your route slightly.

Theres plenty of open trails and single track around the area and you can't really get lost. My advice is to avoid losing a lot of height, becuase you'll pay for it big time. 🙂

Have fun.

footflaps

Cool – thanks for that – will go investigate!

old_mtber
    Free Member

You are only allowed to ride on the bridleways of which there are plenty. There is conflict between walkers, and groups of children etc especially now the weather is warm and dry. Loose dogs can also be a hazard as always. So best to abide by the rules in this case. The Malvern Hills Conservators explain it on their website. There is no bridleway along the whole ridge of the Hills. The best map is the Harvey's 1:10000 and Back on Track bikes just down from the North end clock tower has routes and plenty of advice. They also have routes on their website. If you park in any of the pay and display car parks make sure you do pay as they are checked regularly and tickets issued! Sorry to be a bit negative but I almost gave up riding here due to the aggro.

jimster
    Free Member

Best time to go at weekends atm is either early morning 6 / 7 am, when you'll just see dog walkers like myself, or in the evening when it tends to be locals.

sheldona
    Free Member

As above need to go early or late as the place is full of red sockers and in my opinion not worth riding there at the weekends. Theres some nice stuff down the Southern end however I've no gpx files for it. If I was fit enough to ride mtb I'd offer to show you around albeit at my pace and not your racey whippet pace!! MAybe another time mate?

br
    Free Member

+1 Harveys map, the Malverns are just too 'compact' for a standard 1:25000 map.

Also it is full of walkers, and boshie with it – and difficult to work out the bridleways from other routes.

jimw
    Free Member

Another recommendation for the map. There has been a bit of correspondence in the local paper (Malvern Gazette) about bikers not slowing down on tracks which has raised the issue in the locality, so I would agree is best to ride out early or keep away from the main ridge. Most of the paths between North Malvern and the Wyche are bridleways, but it gets sketchier the further south you go. I would not suggest riding on British Camp at all-as MTB_Rossi has stated it is a scheduled monument.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

http://www.malverncyclesport.org.uk/ Do a group ride at 10am on a Sunday from the Malvern St. James Gym car park if you want to go out with a group.

keyses2

Malverns are my local haunt and i've yet to encounter a grumpy walker, always get smiles and 'hellos', just remember you are on shared paths used in both directions 🙂

ctznsmith – do you work in backontrack ??

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Malverns route?’ is closed to new replies.