• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Malton / Pickering – easy off road
  • nbt

We’re up around Malton and Pickering over easter and would like to get out on the bike. Mrs NBT broke her hip last year and while she is back on the bike, she is still regaining both fitness and more importantly confidence, so the Dalby red route is not an option (we’ve done it previously and are familiar with it!).

I’ve got a guide book and found a route which goes from Hovingham through Caworth, south to Scackleton, down to Terrington then back via Welburn and Coneysthorpe woods. Can anyone comment on the trails in that area? Can send a copy of the route or publish it on mpmyride if it will help.

Alternatively, we could try a road ride on the tandem – the route I’ve got skirts the west of Pickering and goes up a minor road to Cawthorn, through Cropton and Appleton-le-moors to Little /Great Edstone, down to Salton then through Brawby and Great Barugh and back.

If all else fails there’s the green/blue route at Dalby but I’d rather not, to be honest!

Comments / constructive feedback / offers of company / guiding welcome

shifter
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the routes you mention but I’m a big fan of the old railway line between Scarborough and Robin Hood’s Bay. Gentle (but long) inclines and no corners, obviously 🙂 Pubs at Heyburn, Ravenscar and RHB…

ahsat

Any of the routes around that way are fine. Just link up the bridleways. I have done a lot of the bridleways that way on both hardtail and at Christmas did a variation on what you have listed on the cross bike. Nothing is technical – it is all just rolling/flat bridlways, a lot are accross fields. Word of warning….if it has been wet, stick to the roads! The vale of pickering and Howardian Hills are made of some of the stickest clay you have ever come accross – I have abandoned rides in the past. When I go down to visit my parents (who live that way), I tend to stick to CX or road these days! All the roads tend to be pretty quiet flatish back lanes. My Mum rides round them and she had a hip replacement 18 months ago. Just avoid the A64 and the main road Pickering-Hemsley road, it will be packed at Easter and there are alot of motorbike accidents.

jonathan
    Free Member

Your road route sounds a nice one. There is loads of lovely road riding in that area – just look out for the short vicious climbs, and the nice pubs too. Avoid the A roads, and I’d minimise your time on the B1257 as well – also popular with bikers.

As said, off-road the Howardian Hills can be nasty if it’s been wet, but also lovely if it’s been dry. The moors are riding surprisingly dry at the momment, so you may be in luck. Also the Howardian trails can get very overgrown later in the year, so if it is dry Easter is a great time to be riding them. The bridleways around the Hovingham – Coneysthorpe – etc ridge are lovely when they’re riding well.

Yearsley Moor (6km west of Hovingham) has some nice woodland riding to explore as well.

Pook

Over to rosedale from Appleton would be a nice easy route. Good pub in Appleton as well

ahsat

As said, off-road the Howardian Hills can be nasty if it’s been wet, but also lovely if it’s been dry. Also the Howardian trails can get very overgrown later in the year, so if it is dry Easter is a great time to be riding them.

Fully agree, there is about a perfect 2 week window!

Sandwich

There’s a couple of easy routes from Hutton-le-Hole in the Vertebrate Graphics book that should fit the bill.

nbt

This is the route we’ve found in a guide book – from what I gather it’s more “off-road touring” than full on MTB but that’s not necessarily a bad thing

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=vvymuaeprfusojoy

Any comments as to the state of the tracks? It’s been pretty torrential here over the past day so I think it might be a bit damp over there

Teetosugars
    Free Member

There’s some nice stuff on Sutton Bank, heading over to Osmotherly, over Black Hambleton.
    Some nice tea shops in Osmotherly too!

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s steady stuff (i.e. mainly fireroads) in the forest by Cropton – forget its name now but there’s a campsite where you can park.

ahsat

I’ve ridden that route all through the year (my brother farmed quite a bit of that area until recently). Some bits will be muddy but you’ll have a reasonable number of bits where it is hard pack (e.g the track to Terrington). Bad bits may be the fields over the Welburn and the woods out of the back of Hovingham. I do that loop on my CX or my hardtail with my unfit nearly 60 year old dad. If it is really muddy I’d just cut out and enjoy the back roads which tend to be reasonably quiet. Go for it. There is nothing there to worry your Mrs’ hip.

ahsat

Over Easter the tea room in Hovingham at the bakery should also be open. Bonus. I’ll be down there over Easter myself so might see you and give you a wave.

FOG

Was up that way on Saturday and tracks were getting gloopy so road might be the better option!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Malton / Pickering – easy off road’ is closed to new replies.