• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mallorca- which of these areas would you stay in?
  • hora
    Free Member

Criteria- quiet as possible and as close to Puerto Pollensa as poss (trying for best deals if can not find one in Puerto itself):
    Alcudia – Ah looks ok
    Cala Bona
    Cala d'Or
    Cala Millor
    Cala Vinas
    Calas de Mallorca
    C'an Pastilla
    C'an Picafort
    Magaluf
    Majorca
    Palma Nova
    Portals Nous
    Puerto Pollensa – Ideal
    Sa Coma
    Santa Pons

hora
    Free Member

Ta but Im after area info really as we'd do a last min package. I know how package companies can 'talk up' areas (there are only two of us and its for a 4night stay).

allyharp

Palma Nova is busy – it's practically joined on to Magaluf – and from what I remember Cala d'Or is busy too.

Santa Ponsa wasn't too bad a few years ago – there are a few clubs and noisy bars but they're all huddled at the very edge of the town. The rest is one big long row of shops, restaurants, quieter bars and the beach.

I don't know any of the other places.

AB
    Free Member

Been to Cala D'or – nice village and beach.

corroded
    Free Member

It'll come down to what you are after (beach holiday, mainly sightseeing etc) and personal preferences. Like you, my top choice would be Pollensa – the mountains (my fave part of Mallorca) are accessible plus there are good beaches nearby.

The east coast (Cala Millor etc) is the more German side of the island but has the best beaches. Of these, Cala D'Or is very pleasant and close to Cala Mondrago, a marine park. Alcudia is OK – bit more rowdy than Pollensa but definitely preferable to Can Picafort. There's an interesting hidden sculpture park and art gallery on the peninsula near Alcudia.

I find Palma Nova and Portals Nous a bit designer shop heavy for me and Santa Ponca and Cala Vinyes a bit cut off plus it's a bit of a schlepp if you want to go out in Palma and Andratx is a bit too quiet.

So, first choice would be Puerto Pollensa and perhaps also Port de Soller (no beach as such but quiet, good location for touring the Tramuntana). Apologies for the ramble!

hora
    Free Member

Ta guys 🙂

I dont mind German-side of things. First stay in Ibiza was very German-heavy. They're just like us in certain ways..

Will also look at Cala D'Or and Cala Millor.

Any recommendations for car hire?

BlingBling
    Free Member

Calla D'Or was stunning, loads of little beaches/coves within walking distance.

It was 20 years ago I went there mind.

white101

Yeah big up for Cala D'or, went there 4 years back. pedestrian only food and drink area no motors, lovely little beaches and coves

corroded
    Free Member

I've always used Formentor Rentacar (based in Pollenca).

hora
    Free Member

It was 20 years ago I went there mind.

We thought the same of Agios Nikolaos in Crete in 91. Told friends who were planning on going this summer that its probably changed alot since. It hasnt apperently 🙂

ton

been to alcudia, pollensa and cala san vincente
    and in order i would go in reverse

hora
    Free Member

Ok, just back. Stayed in a swanky 4star hotel in Palma itself. Rented a Hyundia Getz and visited EVERYWHERE. Liked Puerto Pollensa, not too keen on Cala D'or though as the cove-beaches seemed very busy. Plus a Harrison Ford lookalike Yank called me a f*ckin Moron (after I gave him a gentle beep to stop him reversing into my car). 🙄 He didnt appreciate me asking him if he was going to shock and awe me you redneck 😀
    Palma Nova – Yuck
    Cala Major (dump)- had probably the best beach of the lot (drop of a rocky cove onto small beach- small rocky Island that you could swim to off the coast.

The switchback road up and over to Sellor? was brilliant! 😀 Why do all the locals etc drive sooo slow?

I happened across a bikeshop on the way Cala D'or (I think) which was probably the most expensive even by English standards. Maxsis HR for 52 euros ffs.

Found a brilliant wine cellar bar just off the old moorish/Cathedral.

waihiboy
    Free Member

Cala d'Or is lovely, parents used to take me there as a kid. nice marina to walk round and chill out in.

but its a bit of a slog down to the beach, i hate beaches though.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

+1 for Cala D'Or. Stay away from Alcudia- package hell

hora
    Free Member

TBH- prefer Ibiza hands down. Not the club aspect. Just the beaches, Ibiza town etc.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mallorca- which of these areas would you stay in?’ is closed to new replies.