Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mallorca Riding & Bike Hire (Roadie & MTB)
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I am off to Mallorca for a bit of October sun next month, currently trying to decide whether to take my bikes or hire when I get there.
    I know it is a great spot for road cycling, what about MTBing?
    Also still to decide whether to take my bike(s) with me or hire when I am there. There seems to be a range of shops wil decent looking equipment, found the following 2 via google.
    http://www.tramuntanatours.com/rentbike.html
    http://www.procyclehire.com/

Anyone got any experience of these?

MSP

Brakes will be euro style, always screws me up, others seem to be able to handle it without problem.

damitamit
    Free Member

I went road riding for a couple of days in the north (Pollensa) before heading by bus to shagaluf for a stag weekend.

Hired a road bike from ProCycleHire. Bit expensive but the service was very good and the bike decent. Thou i only realised on the 2nd day in at the top of a 45min climb that they had given me a standard chainset instead of the compact I’d asked for (not a big deal, it just made me stronger!).

The road riding is great there! Just buy a map from the shop and follow one of the routes.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

We are staying in Pollensa so the riding looks ideal. Forgot about Euro brakes, sure I will cope ok but will be a nightmare with the missus 😕

Mackem

Yeah the road riding is great, the mountain-biking is frustrating as so many trails end with a locked gate/fence. If you have a guide i’m sure they’d be able to show you some good stuff. Certainly, unguided i’d take the road bike. There’s a small Peugeot garage in Puerto Pollensa that rents out perfectly decent road bikes for about 100 euros per week.

damitamit
    Free Member

I had english brakes with ProCycleHire.

Oh and take your own water bottles as they charge a fiver!

heihei

Procycle Hire is good – run by English chaps.

For MTB you need a guide as much is locked off. Worth the trip to Soller and Andy at Tramontana tours – riding is fantastic.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

+1 for Andy at Tramuntana Tours.

Not sure what bikes he currently has to rent, but you’ll probably pay around €20 per day max and can set the brakes up as you liki.

The riding is like Southern Spain, dry, rocky, warm. Plus the beach is always close by. There’s a German guide book I think and a few websites with routes, but ask Andy for advice. Much of Mallorca is privately owned and the owners can be viscious I hear (though never had a problem personally). My favourites were the Lighthouse ride, Barranc route and the GR footpath to Deia from Soller.

You might not see another mountain biker but will see plenty of roadies.

ianpv
    Free Member

just back from pollenca, I rented a road bike from procycle (in puerto pollenca) this time rather than taking my own. Not cheap (E130 for 7 days for a 105 equipped carbon Massi), but it was decent bike with uk brakes.

Been mtb-ing there in the past and had the gate/fence problems, too.

Would road ride everytime in Mallorca, to be honest, it is great.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mallorca Riding & Bike Hire (Roadie & MTB)’ is closed to new replies.