Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Mallorca recommendations
  • finfhan
    Free Member

Anyone got any recommendations for a weeks package in Mallorca in September?
    Checked out these guys, http://www.bike-and-kite-alcudia.es
    Any recommendations as its always hard to tell from websites?
    thanks

mooman
    Free Member

If your staying port Pollenca area – pro bike hire very popular. Bikes are basic but adequate. Friend of ours hired from a different shop in port of Pollenca this year, much better bikes, for the same money. I shall txt friend and find companies name and repost later.

finfhan
    Free Member

Cool thankyou, Is it all just rent a bike as opposed to packages? Is Port Pollenca a good spot to stay, would like it a bit lively but not a real santa-ponsa kinda place 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Slight hijack – anyone hired from Wheels Sport?

Might be staying in Can Picafort next May.

🙂

harvey
    Free Member

tramuntana adventures are very good – hire good mountain bikes, touring/hybrid bikes, decent roads bikes. they also will organise guides for mountain bike rides, mountain walks, gorge walks, kayaking etc. rock and ride will also take mtb rides, mountain walks and climbing ( really recommend the climbing especial if you haven’t climbed before)

some of the trails are reddish grade with some of them more challenging downhill type trails

they are both based in soller / port de soller. loads of good hotels at cheap rates !

sniff
    Free Member

Hired a Cube road bike from these guys. Great bikes, helpful staff and they have loads of bikes for rent. They are also big in cycle holidays.

http://www.bicycle-holidays.com/en/

the_lecht_rocks

We go to port pollensa twice a year now. It’s nirvana for road cycling but there are better places to stay if you’re going purely for cycling. We like the town, beers and restaurants there. However, for sa colabra and puig, soller is a better location. Campanet is perfectly situated as is Inca… Great place, love it.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

interested in the rental shop you mention mooman, as I’m out there next week and plan to squeeze in a few road rides. Heard good things about probikehire though.

finfhan
    Free Member

Ah cool, thanks v much sounds like a great island. Ill check out a few of the places then other than the obvious large towns perhaps. Would be nice to get a mix of mtb, road and beer!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Pro Cycle Hire in Port de Pollenca has real high end road bikes to hire – highly recommended. Equally so, Tramuntana Tours in Soller for mtb kit. You won’t go wrong staying in either place but as others have said it depends on what sort of riding you want.

the_lecht_rocks

speak to Bruce in Pro Cycle Hire – Opposite the big multi-storey hotel further down the town.

van nicholas’s for hire and good efficient service.

they also do ride outs on a tuesday i think.

Santaslittlehelper
    Free Member

I was out there a fortnight ago in Puerto Pollenca, hadn’t booked a bike and walked into Pro Cycle Hire shop. Got a basic (Ambrosio alloy c/w carbon forks & stays & 105) bike for a couple of days for €20 per day.
    They were helpful & polite and also surprisingly busy, hence only got a lower level spec bike.
    I’m sure there are better bikes at better prices elsewhere but it was convenient for me at the time and was a good service.

Highly recommend the ride out to Cap de Formentor, great views.
    Also Lluc and soller road was good (Ma10).

I was out by 7am and back by 11am and roads were pretty quiet.

Shop does ride outs on Tues & Thurs mornings approx 9am – 1pm.

mooman
    Free Member

Sorry Finfhan – friend not got back to me yet.

We have used Pro Cycle hire. As said they are a good and friendly firm. Bikes were adequate ( basic carbon Massi with ultegra gearing).
    A friend who joined us this year had a very expensive looking carbon Willier for similar money from another hire shop in the Port Pollenca. Looked brand new and much better deal …

geoffj

The other shop is German owned iirc. Let me google.

Here it is – http://www.2gocycling.com/contacto.php

We hired some family bikes last year from them and they were great.

Bruce @ Pro Cycle Hire is also very good.

Dogsby

finfhan,

I have just come back from 2 weeks in Fornalutx near Soller. Outstanding road riding with excellent roads and some spectacular scenery. If you go to Garmin Connect you can search on different areas which might give you an idea of routes that are available. Col De Soller, Col d’honor and Sa Callobra are really worth the effort especially if you like a bit of climbing.

If you look at rockandride-mallorca you will find a downloadable MTB guide (£10) and video of some MTB routes. It looks good and I am definitely going back.

Incidentally, I took my own bike but Tramuntana Tours seemed like a good bunch with plenty of bikes especially in Port de Soller.

Dogsby

bspoked
    Free Member

Just got back on Saturday from pollensa. Hired from Pro Cycle hire and it was excellent. Bruce and the guys were superb.

If you walk in off the street then you are limited to the Massi bikes. Book online and you get access to some very nice bikes.

I had a Van Nicholas Chinook with Sram Force and FFWD carbon wheels.

Even better, they actually booked it for me in store, on the internet, on their laptop.

Nice cafe too. Cheap beer and good cake .

mcnultycop

The Canyon bike place on Mallorca looks good. I was looking at it for next year.

finfhan
    Free Member

Thanks for all the recommendations, got flights booked for the end of september, just need to get a place to stay and some bikes now 🙂

geoffj

Thanks for all the recommendations, got flights booked for the end of september, just need to get a place to stay and some bikes now

Me too – well 2nd week in October.
    I’ve booked Hotel Uyal through Alpharooms – can’t bloody wait! 😀

jet26
    Free Member

Hotel duva in pollensa worth a look

Sanny
    Free Member

Bit underwhelmed by Pro Cycle Hire. I went in June to see about getting a wheel rebuild which they advertised on their site at the time and was met with a shrug and told to go to Neu Sport. This was fine as the guy at Neu Sport was lovely but the owners parting shot that I should have checked my wheels before coming out wasn’t exactly the most constructive. Stuff wears out but it just struck me as being a bit arsey. 😕

Taking your own bike is pretty painless and usually works out cheaper than hiring. The riding is fantastic. 😀

finfhan
    Free Member

Heading to Port de Soller hopefully but trying to get any reasonably priced accomodation is a bit of a b*lls!!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

just done a week near Pollensa. Probikehire were excellent. Good bikes and friendly staff, and a good cafe with sensible prices (not often you find that in Mallorca…)

wife has done hotel Eden Nord in Port de Soller and reckons it’s very good, so worth a look. Get a sea view room.

vonplatz
    Free Member

Never hired from them but nearly bought a second hand bike. They have year old liteville 301s for hire!

http://www.roxybikes.de/roxybike-home-english.html

finfhan
    Free Member

Just back from a week there – stayed in Port de Soller and it was class. Rented Trek road bikes from Tramantuna for 3 days and Remedys for 3 days for MTB. Road riding was v good actually and im not a roadie. The MTB was great but damn we spent a serious amount of time trying to find out where to go – good bit of fire-road riding and not huge amounts of singletrack publicly advertised. If you’re heading for MTB, have a good idea of routes before you go and beware of publicly available maps as they take you on a lot of public walkways and fireroads

Rik
    Free Member

Anybody recommend a good value hotel or apartment for two in Port Soller that is bike friendly?

taxi25
    Free Member

Stayed here a couple of time.

http://www.duva-pollensa.com/

pretty hard to get a more bike friendly place.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Mallorca recommendations’ is closed to new replies.