Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Mallet Enduro pedals – are they any good?
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

I’m after a pedal with a bit more platform and float to it than my current XT trails. Anyone ridden the new Mallet E’s.

Or perhaps considering Time Atac MX8’s

Any views would be great

scotroutes

Tick.

honourablegeorge

Some really ace looking Burgtec coming soon too

Del

cb products come in lovely boxes but explode shortly after first use. avoid.
    time FTW.

scotroutes

I’ve been using CB pedals for years with no problems, hence my interest.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Del – Member
    cb products come in lovely boxes but explode shortly after first use. avoid.
    time FTW.

Had a major redesign a few year back…

Also been a long term user, the DH version is the same platform as the older Mallet with the split cage improvement etc. Love the DH’s thing the E’s sit a little closer into the crank.

legend
    Free Member

Sounds like the E is another step better than the DH from I can remember seeing. No idea why they’ve not kept them the same width as the DH ones though, seems odd

olibluegoat
    Free Member

anyone else actually tried them yet. Reviews seem generally positive

Whta baout time atac mx8 – anyone tried them out – any good?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

One thing I would say – the old mallets were great, the dh are great.

However given the shorter q factor the current mallets (I would hazard the E also) sit too close to the crank to use with decent shoes over a size 9. (two pairs of 5tens and some old oniel things)

My winter boots are fine on the current 1,2&3 mallets (and egg beaters) but frankly there is no room for a “flat” shoe and I personally don’t see a lot of benefit to platforms with shoes that you wouldn’t use on platforms alone.

Of course with no experience of the E it’s just conjecture but it would stop me buying them unless I could try them.

The dh are excellent though and a smaller version (with same q factor) would be a winner for me.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Just a bump on this as im looking at these pedals, bit more float and that extra bit of axle length would be good for me I think.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If they are a better version of the 1/2/3, then they should be great.

I really like the combination of them + the Specialized 2fo clips, just seemed to work really well. The 5-10 Maltese Falcon LT’s don’t feel anywhere near as nice, they seem to be a bit too sticky on the pedals.

The build quality of the Mallet 3’s is still pretty crap though, they go through bearings at an amazing rate, compared to pretty much every pedal I’ve ever used, address that & they would be spot on IMO.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Well ive just bought some, i’ll let you guys know in a week. 😀

philstone

I’ve been running E’s for a couple of months now – love them..

Yes the Q factor needs fairly careful cleat positioning, but its working for me (using AM9’s -size 44)..

Apparently CB may be bringing out an axle conversion to the same q factor as the Mallet DH (which I had before) and as already mentioned – would make them perfect.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Got them today and fitted one to my right shoe (am45) and after a bit of faffing can engage but how the hell do you unclip? Obviously far too use to shimano.

withersea
    Free Member

Darren where did you get yours from?

andyb39
    Free Member

Just twist to release.
    Unless they’ve changed the cleats you can swap them between each foot to change the release angle from 15 to 20 degrees.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I have ran the E’s for a while now. I have just changed the axles in them as they sat too close to the crank arm for my liking. just got another pair of them for my other bike.

philstone

Rick, where did you get the axles from?

Del

I have ran the E’s for a while now. I have just changed the axles in them as they sat too close to the crank arm for my liking. just got another pair of them for my other bike.

cool. just find a source of bearings you’ll need every 3 months and you’re good
    to go! 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cool. just find a source of bearings you’ll need every 3 months and you’re good
    to go!

Crap that means I’m overdue a change…

RickDraper
    Free Member

Rick, where did you get the axles from?

It them from a German site, https://www.bike-components.de/de/crankbrothers/Ersatzachse-fuer-Mallet-DH-Pedal-p38992/

Very cheap too!

darrenspink
    Free Member
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Mallet Enduro pedals – are they any good?’ is closed to new replies.