Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Malicious Wire/Rope traps across trails
  • shiatostorm
    Free Member

I’ve not come across any on my local trails thankfully, and hope I never do, but I’ve been reading more and more in recent weeks about people discovering – and sometimes getting caught by – thick wires, cables or ropes across trails regularly used by mountain bikers.
    Apparently they appear typically strung up in fast sections of trails and at a height that once you’re on the bike it’s virtually impossible to avoid, duck or steer away from in time.
    Keep an eye out if you see anything and tell the police.

singletracksurfer

I got caught by one few weeks back. Neck height. I was going fast and only just saw it last second and just managed to get my shoulder in the way. Stopped me dead and cut through my top and pretty deep into my shoulder – would have made easy work of a neck.

OK I wasn’t on a bridleway, but it is a wood on the edge of a village which everyone has walked and cycled through for many years. Popular place for kids to ride too.

scc999

I’m hoping that someone gets caught and prosecuted for this, and that the Police make a ig deal of it in the press.

I don’t care if a biker is riding somewhere they shouldn’t be, this is an attempt to injure someone and that is a serious offence. Thankfully the police seem to agree!

teethgrinder

I’m hoping that a child or grandchild of a person doing this gets injured by one of these traps.

The type of people doing this have no qualms about injuring or killing someone, and only by the serious injury or death of someone close will they realise what their actions can do.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any links to Police views/actions on this?

climbingkev
    Free Member

Are there any known hot spots? Just to avoid them of course, I’ve no intention of a stake out. Do they appear as incidents on the police crime map website? And if so under what title? If there was a “Booby trap” category and a means to search in an area it would be possible to identify local risks. The capability is there, just needs a category and a search would be possible……just thinking out loud.

shiatostorm
    Free Member

grim stuff.

Its hard to trace the perpetrators of these sort of ‘death traps’ as they probably do it at times they know no one would be about, certainly it probably only takes seconds to set one up and then you’re out of there before anyone realises.
    There’s clearly no doubt about the intent behind them; to cause injury – and serious ones at that.
    I hope someone does catch one at it and thoroughly rinses them (through the correct legal channels…) as an example for all to see.

teethgrinder

I hope someone gives them a kerbing like off of American History X.

Shame there’s a lack of kerbs in Chopwell 🙁

shiatostorm
    Free Member

a stumping instead?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Cannock chase as well (got posted to facebook hours after seeing this thread!) https://twitter.com/UKCycleChat/status/613451910415302660

sell73out
    Free Member

Someone is passing that Cannock pic off as their own when it isn’t. Seen it popping up on Facebook since MBUK used a Google search with that pic to start a discussion on the original subject. The pic can be found on imgur, but was originally posted over a year ago… Why someone is now reposting and saying it’s from Cannock recently is a mystery to me.
    (Imgur link: http://imgur.com/gallery/WbdwG?desktop=1 )

jimjam
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Here in Belfast a local biker hid out and caught one of our most persistent trail vandals positioning logs on the trail. He has been placing logs on corners and after drops several times a week for years. The police response to the video “It’s not an offence to move branches around in the forest”.

singletracksurfer

“It’s not an offence to move branches around in the forest”.

Time to move the branches around repeatedly on the guys head then… in the forest of course 😉

BadlyWiredDog

teethgrinder – Member
    I’m hoping that a child or grandchild of a person doing this gets injured by one of these traps.

I think you need to have a think about what you just wished for.

chrisgibson
    Free Member

Someone around Maidstone started putting trees (BIG TREES) over some of the jumps and trails, in the local area.

Not fun on a descent to have to stop suddenly because a tree has been cut down and lodged in the middle of some singletrack.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think you need to have a think about what you just wished for.

Exactly, get a grip.

There’s someone locally to me who likes pulling sticks across the trail, I had thought about possibly waiting about and having a word, but tbh it’s not the best bit of trail and they are never big sticks, maybe 4-6 inches dia at the very biggest. It’s always in the back of my mind that if these folk are unstable enough to put logs in the way, stringing wire at neck height is not a huge jump for them, so decided to leave it in the end.

andybrad

we had a guy in huddersfield die a few years back of a heart attrack after being taken off his bike by a wire.

the police didn’t prosecute but just wanted to know why it had been done.

Lots of logs appearing around halifax area at the moment.

Fluff66
    Free Member

It’s a hoax innit (the Cannock one)

It didn’t happen to the person who posted the pic it happened to “someone they knew”

The picture being used is a year old (and what’s in the pic is clearly rope not wire) and was taken in the US not Cannock.

Fluff66
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

When it happened near us (Saddleworth) 2 years back the police took it very seriously. There was a lot of publicity and it made it onto the Beeb aswell as lots of local news.

Which is why (IMHO) it’s particularly important that MTBers i)don’t spread hoaxes and ii) do photograph/make safe & then and report any stuff like this they find

devash
    Free Member

So who are the most likely candidates for such stupid behavior?

Local scrotes / chavs, or militant walkers?

jimjam
    Free Member

Middle aged to elderly dog walkers and walkers seem to be the most active round here.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Middle aged to elderly dog walkers

Defo. The kind of tits that get all upset because you scared their dog, despite the fact they have absolutely no control over the thing. Wallopers.

woody2000

This was the repsonse from the local council when we reported some booby traps in the local woods recently (I’ve redacted it slightly as I think this will be progressed up the chain a bit). The way I read it is – you shouldn’t be there, so people can do whatever they like to you. Whilst he’s right that there’s no “cycle route” in the woods, I think the tone of the response is a bit off.

Your complaint has been brought to my attention as part of my enforcement role.

What you have witnessed is possibly a kick back from either land owners or legitimate users fed up with the actions of non legitimate users which would include motorbikes and mountain bikers. There is no bridleway or legitimate cycle route in these woods for mountain bikers however they continue to do as they please with little regard for the legality of the situation or the concerns of other users. The land is not owned by the authority.

It appears from the images that legitimate users (walkers ) may pass through the route safely.

We will seek to contact the land owner to have the items removed however this will be a low priority matter for the authority in terms of my own involvement. The Countryside team are aware of the situation and are also seeking to remedy the situation.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

We recently had barbed wire strung up by some incomprehensible fool on a trail around Longleat/Shearwater the same weekend the Warminster Wobble was on. It’s a festi thingy to encourage people, kids n all to go out and ride. Go! Have fun! Just be weary of the boobytraps.
    Logs are another regular. I’ve ended up faceplanting a bed of nettles trying to hoik the bike over one. I also believe some chap from Charge broke bones in a similar incident on his way home from work a few years back.

andyl
    Free Member

Saw some photos of a guy (I believe a motorbike rider) who had a large section of his neck sliced open by wire across a trail. The guy was lucky to be alive.

seosamh77
    Free Member

teethgrinder – Member

Are you actually serious?

andyl
    Free Member

^ my thoughts exactly. Why would you want anyone to come to harm like this?

Best and only resolution is the people responsible are court and dealt with by the law and hopefully given a custodial sentence.

elliott-20
    Free Member

^ my thoughts exactly. Why would you want anyone to come to harm like this?

Best and only resolution is the people responsible are court and dealt with by the law and hopefully given a custodial sentence.

I don’t think they’re being serious, I certainly didn’t read it that way. Just the sentiment of karma and getting their comeuppance.

dannyh
    Free Member

Middle aged to elderly dog walkers and walkers seem to be the most active round here.

That’s where my money is too.

I very nearly caught an old-ish bloke at it a few weeks back. I couldn’t be absolutely sure it was him, but I rode back up a stretch of trail that I had only ridden down five minutes or so before. He was walking up too – quite slowly – and there were two large-ish branches across the trail where there weren’t any a few minutes before.

Because he was in sight, I made a point of picking up the branches and lobbing them as far as I could back over into the undergrowth. As I rode past, I just cheerily said “morning” and carried on. I expect this matter of fact approach and the fact that he’d have to go well out of his way to put them back would have been the most likely to wind him up.

Random branches etc across tracks are the domain of miserable old(er) gits. The really lethal stuff I would more likely put down to scrotes and or genuine nutters.

wilder
    Free Member

woody2000: The tone of that council response is pretty insulting – especially the blanket assertion that riders behave with no sensitivity to the land or other users, which I’d say is generally untrue.

I’m always finding large branches, logs etc placed across the trails in my local spot (this is somewhere so quiet that I’ve probably met less than a handful of walkers in the last 5 years). I just can’t understand the mentality of someone treating a public space like it’s their own property. Would love to hear them justify themselves.

teethgrinder

No – not serious, but when someone is doing this to multi user trails, including horses it starts to gall a bit.

Regularly come across logs and branches on a couple of trails in Chopwell, and reports of sharpened/shapped sticks embedded into the groung against the flow of the trail are not unheard of.

I now have a very sharp lockable hand saw which gets used to saw the **** out of the logs and branches before they go back into the undergrowth; it’s getting tiresome, and only a matter of time before clash of trail users ends in injury.

DaRC_L

Random branches etc across tracks

can sometimes be equestrian riders wanting to spice up the trail with a bit of a jump…

torsoinalake
    Free Member

woody2000, that response is unreal.

mikey74
    Free Member

especially the blanket assertion that riders behave with no sensitivity to the land or other users, which I’d say is generally untrue.

Devil’s Advocate: But isn’t trespassing acting with little or no sensitivity to the land or other users?

I certainly don’t condone these traps (quite the opposite: I had a friend who died following a crash resulting from a deliberate trail blockage), but if you are trespassing, don’t be surprised if things like this happen.

woody2000

I know, must have caught them on a bad day I guess. I suppose it gives me the green light to start using stinger strips on the road when I’m pissed off with cars cutting me up or passing too close. Or shooting dogs when their owners don’t pick up the poop. After all, if I’m a legitimate user and someone has upset me, I can do as I please, right? 🙄

mikey74
    Free Member

I know, must have caught them on a bad day I guess. I suppose it gives me the green light to start using stinger strips on the road when I’m pissed off with cars cutting me up or passing too close. Or shooting dogs when their owners don’t pick up the poop. After all, if I’m a legitimate user and someone has upset me, I can do as I please, right?

Nice one!! Twisting words to suit. I didn’t say that, I was just responding to the comment that not all bikers who use land they aren’t supposed to be on are insensitive to the land and other users. Again, it’s not necessarily my view, but one that I can see from another perspective.

Where did I say putting up traps was OK? Please point that out, because I certainly didn’t type anything of the sort.

hora
    Free Member

Lots of logs appearing around halifax area at the moment.

It wasn’t/isn’t near Hebden is it? I’ve been assaulted by a dog walker there who apparently got a rep. Wouldn’t surprise me if he went the next step.

Edit- actually he has- STW’er Podge smacked his head because of him/an obstruction.

woody2000

mikey – my response was to the previous poster, not you.

wilder
    Free Member

mikey – I agree, when it comes to clear trespassing, but usually things aren’t so black and white. I don’t know the background to woody’s case I was just disappointed by the local authority’s language.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Malicious Wire/Rope traps across trails’ is closed to new replies.