Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Malicious flagging on Strava
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

As you seem to be something of a master at getting people to like you on here could you come up to Dundee and give me some tips?

Beautiful put down 😆

hora
    Free Member

Good night.

sirromj

Strava haters 0
    Strava Lovers 1

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m a fan of Strava as a personal training aid

what are you now then Mark Cat 2 ? 😆

philjunior
    Free Member

I won’t use the cut through though. The trail has gone round the trees since I started riding it 20 years ago and if some tossers are that desperate for a KOM they are welcome to it.

I think the problem is that there’s no accuracy option when you set a segment. As an example, one segment I know of goes down the side of a hill with a million walkers tracks that all join at the top and bottom. It would be quite possible not to register on the segment without taking a shortcut as they diverge by 50-100m in places. Another segment I know of runs parallel to a trail that’s totally different about ten metres away in the woods, and usually you’ll get recorded on both!

Junkyard
    Free Member

aye we have an off road one at the side of the road that always gets recorded as the road descent for the reasons you note.

jekkyl

someone start a copycat thread called ‘malicious-flogging-on-strava’ I can’t be bothered and I’m off to bed. 8)

Shackleton

I’ve worked out that if you crop the start or end of an activity it removes the flag. So I’ve done that, now I’m going to wait and see if the douche flags stuff again or if it was a one-off hissy fit brought on by having their trail ruined.

This is starting to seem a bit silly now……but for some reason it really infuriates me. A bit like people dropping litter, talking on quiet carriages or wearing salmon corduroy trousers. The rage descends.

In the morning my Strava will be going private and the stravtards can argue amongst themselves over who is the fastest at traversing 200m of soggy Dundonian plantation.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I am terrible for leaving my strava on in the car so a flagged ride usually means I need to crop it

Got one that was flagged from ages ago – checked it and there were no apparent problems so asked strava to check what the problem was (took ages!) But they eventually confirmed it was fine,removed the flag and said it couldn’t be flagged up again.

That would probably be the best way of getting to your phantom flagger

deadkenny
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not a local NIMBY / land owner / conservationist who’s doing the flagging? i.e. they don’t want you riding it or clearing the trail and it’s them who’s trashing it.

It’s known for these types to monitor Strava segments in their area and flag them or collect evidence.

Shackleton

Having reset all of the flags at 11pm last night they were all back by 8am today! Looks like the dick is still a dick (and I assume is the previous KOM holder to have been able to do it so fast).

Anyway, I’ve tried Strava technical support and now I’m going dark on Strava.

Shame that what could actually be a sociable app is ruined by the unaccountable actions of a few small minded petty and vindictive ****.

whitestone
    Free Member

@shackleton – generally it’s OK. I’ve had rides flagged and have flagged rides/segments myself but in all cases it’s been for genuine reasons.

On the ride I had flagged I was contacted by Strava: “Can you check activity x?” When I looked at the data everything was normal until the last seven or eight Km when I appeared to have ridden at a constant 32kmh uphill, downhill and along the flat! Everything else was fine. I just trimmed the end of the ride.

Similarly when I’ve flagged rides/segments it’s because it’s obviously been logged in a car: beating the local pro-riders on an 8min climb by 3mins as an example.

In any group of people there will be dicks, sad fact of life, Strava is no different.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

As you seem to be something of a master at getting people to like you on here could you come up to Dundee and give me some tips?

I think that deserves an award.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’m not into Strava. It just adds data, figures and is the opposite of a relaxing hobby out with nature to me.

I’m a fan of Strava as a personal training aid

Clearly it depends on why you ride. I’m sure there’s a middle road where you have a nice enjoyable stress free ride and then give it hell up a particular hill or stretch as a fitness push/test. Which also shows you how you fare against others/mates. That’s me anyway.

kerley
    Free Member

I like Strava as a tool to track my ride as well as see how fast I can do segments. It doesn’t ever ruin my ride though as my phone is in my back pocket and it is only when I get home and upload the data that I see how well/bad I have ridden.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

andysredmini – Member
    I get it a lot on one section of trail that now has a cut through around the main obstacle on the trail… …I didn’t do anything about it but got the KOM again next time I rode it… …Out of curiosity I looked at every other time other than mine in the top 10 ish and none of them slow for the corner and shoot straight through the bushes. Someone must be really sad to let this bother them enough to flag everyone who beats their time.

Not that I care much but just to clarify, they’re slower in a straight line than you (and presumably others) are through the bends? Assuming you’re not Steve Peat they must be flagging a lot of rides if they can’t “win” that “race” and flag everyone faster than them. (I am probably slower in a straight line than most people would be through, well, anything really)

Shame that what could actually be a sociable app is ruined by the unaccountable actions of a few small minded petty and vindictive ****.

Welcome to the internet/real world/flat roofed pub etc unfortunately

duckman

OP, I fancy getting back into the climbing wall and live 30/40 mins from the Jewel o the Tay. If you are looking for somebody to belay you,give me a shout.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

one man’s wreckage is another man’s “feature”

That’s what I’ve telling the ladies for years.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I am terrible for leaving my strava on in the car so a flagged ride usually means I need to crop it

Only done that once. Was incredibly amused by the speed of flagging.

Shackleton

duckman – cheers for the offer. Are you thinking weekdays or weekends?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Malicious flagging on Strava’ is closed to new replies.