Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Malapropisms, mixed metaphors and misspeaking.
  • Cougar

“He’s a bit CDO.”
    “It’s OCD”

CDO is just OCD but with all the letters in the order THEY SHOULD BE.

edlong
    Free Member

We have a consultant who consistently refers to one of the demographic variables we monitor as “ethniticity”

neilthewheel

I used to work in a hotel kitchen. One day during the course of washing up,I scraped a plate with a knife.
    “Ooh, I hate that sound!” Said my nice but dim colleague, “it makes my teeth stand on end!”

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Wullie from work

‘Auld Boaby smokes like a fish’

Bil

‘Ma coupon (my face) is like a meteorite re-enterting the earth’s atmosphere’

TooTall
    Free Member

Mixed metaphors are for winners. If you drop them, you need to do it without a flicker and keep on going. They work very well if you are in meetings with numpties who insist in using the latest buzzwords.

chickenman

At a very dull parents evening at my son’s high school, the careers bloke attempted “more opportunities than you could shake a stick at” which transmogrified into “more opportunities than you could take a shit at”. It livened up the evening no end!

dude
    Free Member

Sat in the canteen at work one day, one of my colleagues asks another about his family moving from India to Africa. When the other colleague responded with ‘they travelled by ship’ in his African accent, the original colleague looked a bit strangely across the table and said ‘but aren’t sheep a bit small to ride?’

julianwilson
    Free Member

I often make them on purpose for my own childish amusement. A favourite being ‘flavour’ as substitute for type, category, subject etc. However, one genuine mis-speak (copyright Bill Clinton 😉 ) was when describing an excellent and very thorough diligent colleague who also has a lazy eye: I said “ooh, don’t worry about her doing that report for you, she will dot the t’s and cross the i’s.” 😳

vickypea
    Free Member

I know someone who frequently uses the word “salubrious” to mean a place that’s a seedy dump!

merynella
    Free Member

Up a gum tree without a paddle

maccruiskeen

Lets not shoot the horse until the gates been bolted

He’s not the sharpest fish in the book.

Not a big fan of Peter Kay but I did like his ‘Oy! Talk to the organ, not the monkey grinder”

maccruiskeen

I know someone who frequently uses the word “salubrious” to mean a place that’s a seedy dump!

I know someone who doesn’t seem to realise that ‘inflammable’ is not the opposite of ‘flammable’ and makes this error repeatedly, in writing, on risk assessments.

vickypea
    Free Member

My mum once said she’d “reached the zenith of lowness”!

merynella
    Free Member

A friend of my wife… ‘You’re about as much use as a teapot’

merynella
    Free Member

And while I’m at it… soldiers deliberately shot themselves in the foot to get off the front line.

ChrisL

whatnobeer – Member

I’ve been know to ask if the Pope shits in the woods after a few beers.

Is the bear Catholic?

jkomo

Sometimes, if I can’t sleep, I like to make some up.
    The other night I was quite pleased with:
    ‘He was sweating like a paedophile chewing a wasp.’
    It doesn’t seem so funny now I’ve typed it out.

An old favourite:
    ‘Does the Pope shit in the woods.’
    Edit, didn’t read that one. /\

cheers_drive

My wife isn’t British and therefore comes up with some classics. Non of which I can remember right now.

boblo
    Free Member

I like to throw in ‘the world is your lobster’ to see if anyone is listening.

RoterStern
    Free Member

An ex – girlfriend’s mother once told us that she’d gone for a bar lunch and had a wonderful lass-ag-knee.My ex tried to correct her but she said she’d had lasagne before but this was definitely lass-ag-knee!

RoterStern
    Free Member

And another old friend of mine always used to say “Let’s make like a banana and curl.”

kayak23

I love this thread 😀

I’ve encountered many people who, having mislaid something, will pledge to go over everything with ‘a fine tooth comb’, said in a way that suggests combing your teeth is normal.

My family member used to refer to Al Pacino as Al Pa-see-no

My mum calls houmus/hummus, ‘hoo-muss’

Mum and both sisters call falafel, ‘phall-a-fell’

Luckily I turned out worldly-wise….ahem.

nealglover
    Free Member

My mum calls houmus/hummus, ‘hoo-muss’

Very strangely, so does Delia Smith.

riiich
    Free Member

I had a French girlfriend that used to say “blow off the candle” instead of blow out. Never corrected her on that one.

My current gf after mishearing a friend say crack of sparrows to mean getting up early, repeated it regularly at work as crack of spanners.

BillMC

A friend’s mother pronounced after flouncing slightly after having knocked back a stiff snifter, “this kicktail has a c0ck like a donkey.”

I used to work with a woman who would oppose something “venomently”.

jkomo

Best one ever:
    Mates mum, with a thick Northern Irish accent.

‘I’ll have a wee cup of chino’

(Cappuccino)

Dogsby

I am forever putting the cat amongst the apple carts!

nealglover
    Free Member

Delia Smith – “who moose”

LimboJimbo

Mrs LJ, after a couple of red wines last night, stated that she couldn’t see what the fuss was over same sex marriage. “Gay couples should be treated exactly the same as etch-a-sketchual couples.”

rob81
    Free Member

A colleague once likened an impossible task to “flogging a wet donkey”

DrJ

I’m not sure that staking your credibility on the correct pronunciation of foreign words is a good idea – there seems to be some debate about this one:
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.usage.english/rs4pWgEp8hA

UncleFred
    Free Member

One of my colleagues refers to “empty gaps”.

Rickos
    Free Member

Malapropisms are spreading like wildflower!

rocketman
    Free Member

Popular one at work is the word ‘myzuld’ aka misled

Also father instead of further and the word ‘ironic’ used as a superlative

mildred

CDO is just OCD but with all the letters in the order THEY SHOULD BE.

😀

mildred

Another one often heard uttered by my customers:

“Without a joke of a lie…” Whilst trying to protest their innocence.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Colleague at work was describing as fight she saw in an A+E ward and said “all of a sudden there was a huge falafel”.
    She meant ‘kerfuffle’

On a mildly related note, she once overheard a discussion about Tolstoy (I know, sorry, but I work in publishing…), who she’d never heard of, so presumed we were talking about Toy Story.

breadcrumb

I know two people that misheard the lyrics to Gala- Freed from desire.

1, Thought the line- “My love has got no money, he’s got his strong belief’s” was about smoking weed, “he’s got his stronger leafs”

2, Same line but different guy, though it said “his trombalise” but didn’t ask what a trombalise was to not look stupid.

Cougar

Misheard Lyrics needs its own thread, maybe…!

Malapropisms are spreading like wildflower!

Actual LOL at that, thanks. (-:

merynella
    Free Member

I could care less… FFS

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Malapropisms, mixed metaphors and misspeaking.’ is closed to new replies.