• This topic has 37 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Makita or Dewalt?
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

Thats all really….the wife wants ideas to send to my hopeless parents for my 40th, and a new drill would be nice. 18v because that’s what everyone talks about.

So what should I be looking for?

ads678

I’ve got Makita therefore it’s the best!!

To be honest i think it really comes down to whether you prefer yellow or blue.

wideford
    Free Member

I can’t comment on dewalt stuff but Makita LXT stuff is lovely to use. If you use it for longer jobs make sure you get at least a 3Ah battery.

IA

+1 on the makita LXT, but the proper stuff not the incompatible battery B&Q versions.

househusband

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-1800-18v-3ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/8160g

And if you want another 3.0Ah battery…

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-coolpack-battery/28488

I think you’d struggle to do better; I spent weeks agonising over what to get; comparing cost, torque, capacity, etc…

Sundayjumper

Never used Makita but I’ve had DeWalt stuff for years and it’s never let me down.

To be honest i think it really comes down to whether you prefer yellow or blue.

I suspect that’s genuinely what it boils down to.

v8ninety

Makita.

nickjb
    Free Member

You’ll be happy with either. I prefer makita but both are good. Lxt is the range to go for. There’s loads of compatible stuff too. Screwfix have a nice dewalt bit set or a smaller wera one which both make good stocking fillers.

chrissyharding
    Free Member

I have a dewalt. My son has a makita.
    Makita is more robust, durable, powerful and expensive.
    I was in Travis perking recently. They have a cracking deal on the dewalt model I have.
    Mine cost £250 with an additional battery.
    In TP it is about £115 for drill/battery case no spare.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

makita,

Just so you can sing ‘Oh Makita you will never knooowwwww……’ every time you use it. Like I do. And everyone else, right?

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Travis Perkins.

mrjmt
    Free Member

bosch blue 🙂

m1kea
    Free Member

Defo need 3aH batteries regardless of the colour of the body.

Can’t go wrong with a cordless drill but recip saws can be great fun if you want to spend time thinking up things to chop up.

ton

I sell both. bosch 36v and Makita 36v

the bosch tends to break more often.

bigblackshed

Makita. Only because it’s what I’ve got. My 1996 drill / driver is still going strong, it has had new batteries about 6 years ago.

I’m having an 18v LXT drill and impact driver set for my birthday. I can’t wait to “reinforce everything with extra screws” 🙂

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Milwaukee,
    or Hitachi if they’ve sorted the pissy chuck.

binners

Ask an expert….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_UuImPL4E[/video]

busydog
    Free Member

Have had DeWalt power tools for years and no complaints at all.
    As others have said above, I don’t think you will go wrong with either.

bones
    Free Member

Happy makita lxt user here.
    Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think essential tools should need to be presents. Can’t you get the drill anyway, and a nice whisky for the present? Would a wife get an iron?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Makita, and I should know, I once worked for Screwfix.

Cougar

Back when I worked in construction (long story), we used Makita exclusively. Nothing to compare to, but they always Just Worked without fuss.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mlkwaukee. Be different.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Have Makita got over their battery woes? they are not what they used to be, but still pretty good! A sad fact many tool makers have cheapened their products and live off good reps from years past, old Makita was very durable.

So I’d say De-Walt on current evidence, the ones I’ve used have been faultless and smooth in operation.

avdave2

I watched that episode earlier today binners, fantastic opening, I could only understand every fifth word or so but there’s no mistaking the gist of it!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Back when I worked in construction (long story), we used Makita exclusively. Nothing to compare to, but they always Just Worked without fuss.

Aah… The Rose tinted spectacles of nostalgia….

househusband

I must be one of the few people to have had a Makita go wrong out of warranty!

Whilst we’re talking about cordless power tools; I’ll be getting one of these when they get them back in stock:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/usb-charger-adaptor-for-power-tool-battery-packs

I never knew they existed until recently!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I work on sites…more than I’d care to at the moment. I see more Makita than anything else (by a long way) when it comes to drill/drivers and impact drivers. I like Bosch stuff myself, but I don’t do much drill/driving to be honest and I only have mine because they’re feather-light and I get bothered if I have to use anything with any weight to it after a few minutes. 😆 I reckon Makita will give you more bang for your buck. DeWalt do seem to be trying to up their game in the last couple of years after losing their reputation somewhat. I don’t think you’d go far wrong with either.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think essential tools should need to be presents. Can’t you get the drill anyway, and a nice whisky for the present? Would a wife get an iron?

Yeah, I’ve been told I should think of something “nice” for myself, but I am really struggling

andyha
    Free Member

Matebo for me

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Bosch/Makita /dealt are all good tools ime. Dewalt slightly worse.

However, brand isn’t everything. The diy sheds still sell nicd batteries and sometimes non standard Nimh for Makita.

Not all Makita18v drills are equal. The 453 (most common) is vastly inferior to the 458 – we have both and the 453 really struggles in comparison. Also consider what it’s going to be used for. For driving screws an impact driver is a revelation – the 10.8v impact driver in this set http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita-lct204w-108v-lxt-twin-pack.html?gclid=CJfC7amhvcYCFcfnwgod2zoJWQ is a lot more powerful than the 18v 853 drill. That set is a winner for woodwork – an 18v impact can be too powerful for a lot of jobs – and if you’re not drilling stone would do most jobs better than an 853 drill

househusband

I’ve had that very Makita set and the speed selector on the drill driver started to fail soon after the warranty expired. Otherwise happy with it!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My DeWalt impact driver is the best power tool I’ve ever had, by a million miles. As said above though, I reckon Makita are every bit as good, if not better.

martinh
    Free Member

Recently went theough a similar decision process and ended up with Milwaukee

dannybgoode

Just bought one of these:

http://www.diy.com/departments/bosch-cordless-18v-li-ion-combi-drill-2-batteries-psb-1800/849504_BQ.prd

Seems excellent and has a full 5*’s on something like 180 Amazon reviews (and people generally always moan about their drills on Amazon).

Is £3 cheaper at B&Q though…

singlecrack
    Free Member

Personally I use Panasonic. …but most guys I work with have either Makita or Deal. ….neither are bad …..but no comparison to Panasonic

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I use in my business …. Makita. Use to use DeWalt but got fed up of batteries not lasting and poor durability of the DeWalt stuff.

xcracer1
    Free Member

I renovated a house and used makita power tooks, which were absolutely hammered, and they still work fine.

CHB

Makita LXT 18V here. Have a few of their tools and two batteries. The naked tools can be bought for very little money from places such as FFX. I always find screwfix to be expensive for Makita.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Makita or Dewalt?’ is closed to new replies.