Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • making the back of a van quieter?
  • ton

got myself a berlingo van. not for anything else than slinging the bikes in the back of. but by heck it is so bloody noisy,
    it has no bulkhead fitted, dont really want one fitting.
    it is not ply lined either, which again, i am not too fussed about.

got a load of spare wool carpet and underlay on hand. thought 2 layers of underlay and a carpet on the top.
    would doing the same to the side eliminate much more noise?

matt_outandabout

Stop making the jiggy in there?

nikk
    Free Member

Don’t use anything flammable to deaden the sound.

There are likely suitable products for this.

joshvegas
    Free Member

In espace no one can hear you scream.

Tinners

Does it have a CD player? If it does, get yourself a blank CD from PC World, stick it in the CD player, turn the volume up loud. Sorted.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Having driven vans for years and owned a fair few.The bulkhead makes all the difference.The other day was using a new VW caddy with no bulkhead what a racket.Made worse with crap roads but that’s not going to change in this country. 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hang a curtain in place of the bulkhead.

Old trick cuts the noise immensely

jackal
    Free Member

Flashband is what a lot of the t4 owners use. I did my wheel arches in it, and put the odd patch in the lower panels to try and stop the drumming/resonance noise. I can’t really comment on how much the Flashband helped on its own as I insulated and ply/carpet lined at the same time….

scotroutes

Yep. Flashing tape makes quite a difference on its own. However, you’ll not achieve much unless you properly insulate.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just hang a curtain between load space and the passenger compartment.

Damps the noise down hugely.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Strips of flashband stuck to the panels to stop the resonating. You can prolly get it ply lined cheap enough. Or spray glue some cheapo camping mats to the sides which will also work… Cut them to shape the contours of the panels.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Big rubber matt of the floor, something like 5-10mm thick, cut around the wheel arches.

Those funny pads that stick to the inside of the van panels. You can get them from car audio places..

or just panel it, panel it with acoustic wadding (could be that underlay you have) in between the van panel and in the ply (thats what I did in mine)

or a bulkhead, but then you’ll loose a little space, but also you’ll stop folks peeking in the back..

ton

curtain sounds a starter. cheap is good.

scotroutes

Ply on its own will also “boom”

bigyim
    Free Member

http://www.deadening.co.uk
    sound deadening pads should help. It will stop the panels vibrating and cut down on road noise too

singlecrack
    Free Member

Earplugs …….but tbh …A bulkhead would be best

spooky_b329

Cheap rockwool and plywood lining kit off ebay, a heavy lined curtain behind the cab. The curtain will hide a surprising amount of banging and squeaking in the back and it means the cab heater is much more effective.

Finally, some sort of dense/heavy rubber floor.

Trekster

Underlay+carpet=sponge=smelly when wet 💡

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘making the back of a van quieter?’ is closed to new replies.