Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • making stem longer?
  • hoodride67
    Free Member

I’m thinking of buying a set of forks but the steerer tube is 50mm too short for my frame. Anyone know if i can get it replaced or grafted?
    Forks are mugura durin

bencooper
    Free Member

No. Well, depends how fond you are of your teeth.

nickjb
    Free Member

Plenty more forks out there.

It’s a steerer not a stem by the way.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hoodride67
    Free Member

Yeah I know. Was looking at short stems aswel. Im Tired 😉

damascus
    Free Member

Yes, you can. Can’t remember the name but pop into your lbs. Basically it’s a bit of tubing that slides over the steerer and clamps on like a stem. You then put the stem onto the top, which is 1 1/8. Im sure someone will tell you what it’s called.

hoodride67
    Free Member

Steerer riser? They are for extending past headset arnt they?

samunkim
    Free Member

God I wish there was…

Ended up (knocking the bearing cups out) & cutting 8mm from top and bottom of an old stumpjumper frame just keep using a short steerer set of forks

pinetree
    Free Member

Damascus- can’t imagine that would work. Presumably if it’s 50mm too short he can’t get a stem to clamp on, so the stem like fitting of what you’ve mentioned won’t work either.
    I know what you’re talking about (I used to sell them in my old shop) and I wouldn’t recommend them for anything other than gentle pootling/hybrid bikes,
    Same with the quill-type adapter mentioned by samunkin.

OP, as someone who has been in similar situations and ended up trying various things/spending a fortune to make it work, I can honestly tell you it’s pointless, and much more hassle than necessary.
    Magura forks aren’t mind-blowingly good, so I’d advise getting on the hunt for a different pair rather than sinking a lot of time/money into a bodge.

bigyinn
    Free Member

50mm is too short to recover from IMO.
    You can probably get 5mm from using a low stack height stem and probably about the same from a low headset, perhaps 15mm total could be gained (assuming you dont already have these on the bike).
    My HT requires a steerer 250mm long, so trying to find second hand forks with a long enough steerer is nigh on impossible, sadly.

slidewinder
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s a question of it can’t be done, but whether it’s economically viable to get it done properly; or how well you can steer with your knees should a bodge job go wrong.

jam-bo

RSF in plymouth install replacement steerers into crowns.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘making stem longer?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts