Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • making shifting easier on a kids bike
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Afternoon….
    Is there any way to make the shifting on minivaders bike any easier (it’s a 7 speed gripshift thingy). Going down the gears is fine but he struggles to shift back up. Any suggestions?
    Cheers

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have some trigger shifters you can borrow to see – mixed results with mine if I am being honest- but they could change up by forcing the lever with their pal, . They had to stop to do this but it did “work”

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Thumbshifter and really good quality cables.

scaredypants

di2 😀

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Yep, easy, full length sp41 outer and 1.1mm inner cables.

jameso

Alongside good cables, these seem to be the easiest of the options.

daftvader
    Free Member

I’m liking the idea scardypants!! 😀 not sure mrsvaderwill go for it tho!!! junky cheers, pm me please, I’d really like him to be able to do it on his own

daftvader
    Free Member

Nice one jameso, just read some of the reviews for those and they seem to be getting good feedback by parents, looks like that, along with a new lid, pedals and a mini camlebak are on the shopping list!!!

monkeyp

I got an old school 7 speed shifter from SJS cycles. It was only a fiver or so. Also got a megarange block with a massive bail-out gear for similar money. Made riding so much more enjoyable for him. I don’t understand the fascination with gripshift on kids bikes. Their hands aren’t big enough to get enough purchase on them.

richardthird

Is it SRAM? Shimano gripshift is looser from my experience and fine for kids.
    Shifter and mech cheap as.

transporter13
    Free Member

I bought some 7spd sram x3 shifters from crc. Been spot on ever since

daftvader
    Free Member

It’s a shimano so going with jameso suggestion and probably a new cable too

Junkyard
    Free Member

That is what I tried – those exact shifters* !!! ….not meaning to piss on your chips

* the one on the right be aware it is fixed and moves round as you shift gear unlike proper ones. The button for release – 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 is easy to use though

transporter13
    Free Member

Just looked on crc again.
    X3 mech £11
    Shifter £10

daftvader
    Free Member

How old were your kids when you tried junkyard?

Junkyard
    Free Member

5-7 – I can lend it to you if you want to try [ actually I think mine is 6 speed] – I did use a new gear cable but did not do full outers – I was disappointed with it TBH.

Changing mech did not help either and I gave up there 😳

daftvader
    Free Member

Could you check for me please… If it’s a 7 speed then I’ll happily buy it off you….

richardthird

Shimano should be fine. Try new cables.

Junkyard
    Free Member

6 speed just checked
    I was disappointed with them but YMMV

daftvader
    Free Member

Thanks for looking…. Will have a chat with my lbs and see what they have…. Thanks everyone for the help.

transporter13
    Free Member

If youre close by to me then feel free to give me a shout. Your child is more than welcome to try either of my kids’ bike

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

CRC have XTR gear cable set for £10.99, I’ve found them to be really slick compared to basic stuff. You might be able to get 2 full rear changes out of a set for a kids bike (£5.50 each being reasonable), tho check inner/outer lengths first maybe so you don’t end up with an expensive single gear cable change. I’ve no experience of grip v trigger for kids mind. I’d be interested to hear what your successful outcome is?.

matt_outandabout

Utterly clean cables needed, and faff with the run up f them.
    Pull the shifter apart and clean it. No grease or oil, it just attracts dirt into the shifter.

As soon as hands are big enough, trigger shifters from Shimano.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Clean cables… and the best shifters you can afford. Not sure about gripshift – in the end my son got XT shifters for Christmas (age 10 at the time).

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘making shifting easier on a kids bike’ is closed to new replies.