Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Making Reba 80mm's turn into 100mm's
  • megastream
    Free Member

Someone said that you can make a 2008 Reba 80mm fork into a longer travel by removing some spacers.

Does anyone have any information on what is needed to do this?

Would save me a some cash as I need a longer fork for my new Superlight that arrived yesterday!

TIA

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Have a look at the video tuturials for remova of lowers and air spring service on the tech section of the Rockshox website,then refer to the Reba manual.

I did mine recently.In essence:

1) Remove forks from bike
    2) Release air in positive and negative chamber
    3) Remove lowers
    4) Remove air spring and remove 1 spacer from air spring shaft.
    5)Replace oil and reassemble.

Taking care and following the instructions it took me approx 1-1 1/2 hours.Could probably do it in half that time,now

If you are mechanically mided and take your time,it is surprisingly easy.

You will need some 5 and 15wt fork oil,(get it from crc)a selection of sockets,eg 10,15,24mm ,a syringe to put the fluid in,circlip pliers,and a large rubber faced mallet.

megastream
    Free Member

Cheers JJG, what length are your Reba's now? I take it that it's perfectly safe to do this mod on what were sold to be 80mm forks?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    singlespeedstu

That's the long winded way of doing it.

Try this method. Only takes about quarter of an hour.

Let the air out of pos/neg chambers.
    Remove both valve cores.
    Compress fork and attatch a toe strap to hold fork compressed.
    Uncsrew 10mm nut on bottom of left leg till it is flush with the end of the neg air chamber threads.
    Tap the nut with a soft hammer to unseat the air chamber (or air piston rod) from the slider.
    Some oil will drain out so have a catch pan ready.
    Remove 24mm top cap from left leg.
    Use a thin rod (I use a Park 5mm L handle allen) to carefully push the air piston out of the top of the left leg.
    Carefully push the allen through the hole in the bottom of the slider against the air piston rod until the air piston comes out the top of the leg.
    Under the air piston is the spacer if the fork is set up for 80mm, or no spacer =100mm.
    If going from 80 to 100 remove spacer, 100 to 80 add spacer.
    Carefully push air piston down past threads inside stanchion about an inch.
    Add 3-5cc 5wt Rockshox oil on top of air piston.
    Install positive air cap (24mm) and torque to 60 in/lb.
    Install pos chamber vave core.
    Turn fork upside down and with a syringe add 15cc of a 50/50 mix of 5wt and Red Rum through the hole in the slider.
    Using a shock pump on the pos chamber add enough air to force the threaded portion of the piston rod out the bottom of the slider.
    Install the 10mm nut and torque to 45 in/lb.
    Remove the toe strap, inflate the pos chamber to desired psi, inlate neg chamber 10 psi less.
    Install air cap covers, clean fork with isopropyl alchohol and you are done.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Making Reba 80mm's turn into 100mm's’ is closed to new replies.