Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Making punctures go away
  • SaxonRider

Vaguely related to recent my question about appropriate road tyres is this instant puncture-fixing gadget.

Anyone seen it before? Does it work?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Could work on tubs or tubeless but I cant see how that would fix a hole in an inner tube .

CraigW
    Free Member

It seems fixing each puncture uses up a “patch cartridge”. So you would need to buy more of these, the website is vague as to how much these cost.

andylc
    Free Member

If that works it looks amazing. Only for tubeless though…

andylc
    Free Member

Wait a minute it says it won’t work with tubeless but they’re planning to make one…how on earth does it work with tubes???

DezB
    Free Member

The applicator “pin” goes through the tube and seals it with a patch on the inside.
    Really good idea. Main issue is that many puncture holes are so small you can’t find them without removing the tube and pumping it up. Still, for the bigguns that’d be brilliant.

nickjb
    Free Member

I can sort of see how it might work in their nail example in the video. Can’t really See it for a thorn as you’ll need to get the thorn out first which is hard without removing the tyre. And what about a pinch puncture, how do you find the hole(s)

andylc
    Free Member

I still don’t quite see with tubes, if the tyre has deflated the tube might not be in contact with the wall of the tyre, then how is it going to work??

CraigW
    Free Member

This video explains it a bit better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_WMapG2SyI
    It seems the patch is inserted through the tyre, then the patch is glued onto the outside of the tube.
    It looks like it would only work for a fairly limited range of punctures. ie not too small or not too big a hole, and they say it doesn’t work for pinch flats.

masher
    Free Member

“Insert directly into puncture hole…..”

Well, IME, that rules out 90% plus of punctures then.

Its rare I can detect where the puncture is with the tyre on. Unless I spend the effort pumping up to 30+ psi?

Or am I being daft?

DezB
    Free Member

After watching the vid, they supply a damping cloth which makes it possible to see where the hole is by looking for bubbles – might work…
    Then the patch is applied between the tyre and tube – a “pinch” of the tyre will make the gap for the patch.
    I guess the pressure between the tube and tyre once its pumped up will seal it.

I want one anyway!

zippykona

Has anyone got a link to that anchovy thing that stores in your handlebars?

AlexSimon

90% of my punctures are pinch flats.
    I’d be interested in a tubeless version, although the anchovies work pretty well too.

Milkie
    Free Member

I don’t know how many of you have actually read it, but it does say it works with innertubes and with tubeless, but you will require different patch pods for different tyres.

sputnik
    Free Member

Looks like a sack of shit to me.
    Have you seen the size of that applicator needle? I’m not sticking that through my road bike tyre.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Making punctures go away’ is closed to new replies.