Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Making garage roof higher IDEAS
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

We have a concrete panel garage with a standard height up and over door.

My VW camper van is just that to tall to fit I would need another 10 – 20 cm to fit it in comfortably.

The whole apex would need raising this would mean the metal arch strut things inside the apex and a new door etc

Is this cost viable ? Any ideas ?

thanks

wwaswas

lower the floor 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Knock it down and build a nice wooden one. ~£2k

sharkbait
    Free Member

remove the wheels?

qwerty
    Free Member

Lower the camper.

poonprice
    Free Member

Would a roller shutter help? or is there not enough room to install it?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Roller shutter wouldn’t work as still to low

cheers so far

althepal

A friend took the roof off his, built the top up by about 9 inches using wooden battens bolted together then strapped to the garage wall on both sides, then built a new roof with a steeper pitch so he had somewhere to store his wood. He had to get rid of the old asbesdos roof anyway and was wanting to use it as his workshop..shouldnt be massively difficult to do something similar- door wise I doubt you could re-use your existing up and over.. see if you coulf get a taller 2nd hand one or build some sturdy wooden ones yourself?

spacecadett
    Free Member

Could you let the air out of your tyres?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Do what my wife does when she approaches a narrow gap she gas to drive through – close your eyes and hope for the best. Works for her, no reason why it shouldn’t work in the vertical plane too.

stevegtu
    Free Member

Why not try two wooden doors ?

gears_suck
    Free Member

Is this cost viable ? Any ideas ?

Looks like you have no idea. Here are your options.
    Get someone who does have an idea to tell you if its doable and if so, give you a price. They’ll need to see it to tell you this.
    Sell your camper and buy a smaller (lower van)
    Leave your van outside.

tomaso
    Free Member

You can raise the roof if you are able to build up and provide the support the pre-cast concrete sections require. However, if you don’t do it right the concrete panels could collapse and kill someone as they are really heavy. In doing it right you may spend out a lot on what is effectively a bodge job – new roof, timber, steel supports, ties, labour etc – will you need planning?

Therefore a new garage may be the best option.

fizzicist
    Free Member

“Let us not forget Baldrick that you solved the problem of your mother’s low ceiling, by cutting off her head.”

qwerty
    Free Member

Can you not source some slightly larger compatible concrete sections from a concrete garage supplier and increase the height that way?

T1000
    Free Member

Disassemble and rebuild on a blockwork plinth…. Assuming all the bolts haven’t rusted …….
    Then fit wooden side by side doors

qwerty
    Free Member

Disassemble and rebuild on a blockwork plinth

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Disassemble and rebuild on a blockwork plinth

I like that idea… but alas I sold my house on ebay last night and bought a bigger house with a barn for my collection of fine automobiles !

😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Making garage roof higher IDEAS’ is closed to new replies.