• This topic has 54 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Making coffee at work
  • jonba
    Free Member

Our site offers free coffee but it is vile.

Looking at ways of making my own. Want a minimum fuss/mess option. We have a kettle and that is about it.

What do people use? Options seem to be

coffee bags,
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lyons-Gourmet-Italian-Coffee-Bags/dp/B009ZARG5S/ref=pd_sim_grocery_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TF5EFK3SCP3WCHVZ70N

one mug filters
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cafe-Express-Coffee-Filter-Bags/dp/B006ZYEJY8/ref=pd_sim_grocery_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=0D004NKT851XC87EBY94

a french press mug combo.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyliss-Cafetiere-Hot-Mug-Blue/dp/B00DB4JY68/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1424471658&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=coffee+press+mug

Anything else? Don’t want multiple contraptions so things like aero press are out.

Northwind

It’s very unstw but I just use instant that I like… Tesco’s Finest has some good ones, Nescafe Pretentious Bollocks range too. Not the cappucino, it’s mdf dust. But honestly I prefer these to most “proper” coffee.

molgrips
    Free Member

Starbucks Via. Not cheap tho.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

One of the barissta style instants for me. I’m not really impressed by them but compared to Nescafe, which tastes of gravy, its on a whole different level. I have thought about taking the tackle in to make a proper coffee but I barely get time to make an instant.

nickdavies

The Azera barista instant, I think it’s nescafe. Get a load of it when it’s cheap!

Tasso
    Free Member

Better coffee out of an aero press and without the sludge. It’s not all that much of a faff as the puck just pushes out and a quick rinse is all it needs. It replaced a Swissgold filter which is arguably a nicer brew but a pain to clean and slower to use. Much like any French press contraption.

Still if you are happy with a French press the one in the OP would be fine.

The barista style instants are not bad at all but yikes at what cost!

cranberry
    Free Member

I took the long view and bought a bean to cup machine, a load of paper cups and beans.

A rough calculation was that it would take 1000 cups to break even spending £450 on a machine, my Gaggia Titanium has now done in the region of 2500 cups without missing a beat.

bentudder

Aeropress here. Although we also have a professional pod machine with a milk frother and two pod thingummies, so I tend to use that – not least because I don’t have to buy the coffee for it. I now use the Aeropress at home – very quick, and can make a coffee while waiting for Mrs Udder’s teabag to steep.

aP
    Free Member

I work with people who talk about coffee and how they love the good stuff all day, but can’t make filter coffee without making it the most burnt awful shit drink ever made.
    I drink peppermint tea at work and drink single estate coffee at home, but that makes a patronising shit apparently, which is nice.

somafunk

When i take coffee to work i use my Bodum Travel Press , makes a decent enough cup of french press if you use decent coffee to start with, although if other folk at your work are anything like mine then don’t leave it lying around for them to **** about with.

mrben101
    Free Member

I grind beans at home to take in and use a V60 dripper/pour over at the studio. Uses filter papers so you just bin the filter full of coffee, then rinse and dry the v60. Nice and easy.

Think one of the biggest improvements to my coffee was buying decent beans and grinding them when I needed them.

Drac

You get time to have coffee?

Oooh get you.

I bought one of those little cafeterias back in the day of getting a chance of having a coffee. Still role on April I may get the chance again as I’m coming off the road, sort of.

DrJ

Aeropress is good for work because it’s easy to clean up afterwards – just fire the puck into the bin, quick rinse, done.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I know you ruled it out but I’ll say it anyway. Aeropress is perfect for work. Measure and grind the beans at home, then making its a 2 minute job at the sink. No cleaning needed, quick rinse and that’s it.

beej

What they all said. Aeropress for work. Grind coffee at home each morning.

sadexpunk

It’s very unstw but I just use instant that I like…

same here. ive had the cafetieres before, but every time i just go back to good old instant. and sorry, but as well as being far easier and quicker, i prefer the taste too 😀
    nowt wrong with those kenco millicano jobbies, and theyre often half price at yer usual supermarkets…

allthepies
    Free Member

As above I buy the “posh” instant stuff i.e. instant with 10% ish of ground coffee added.

bigrich

a cheap clooney-cyst machine.

acceptable beverage.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Free at work,we buy-they pay. usually Nescafe Original,Gold Blend or Blend 37 (was there a Blend 36 ? ),we get Nescafe Azera,Alta Rica,etc. Kenco Millicano goes down well,too. Have a cafetierre here,so now and again knock-up a batch of ground coffee. Tea bags too for option. Can’t complain drink loads!. 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

Haria Clever Dripper

allthepies
    Free Member

We have to pay for the hot water at our place to make drinks!

Stu_N

Aeropress here too, takes 2 mins to make a nice coffee. Once it’s made, I just pop the puck of coffee and filter into the bin and wipe the plunger and cap down with damp paper towel. (We don’t have a sink next to the water machine). Best £25 I ever spent, colleagues reckoned I’d get bored of it but been using it for a couple of years now – just about to go into my third pack of filters so that’s about 1,000 coffees made with it now. I buy beans from Pact and grind a few days’ supply at a time and take them in, fresh beans make a huge difference to the coffee.

cliffyc
    Free Member

@allthepies,legally speaking are they allowed to do that?. 🙁

squirrelking
    Free Member

Dont see why not, if it was drinking water I could see an issue but hot water isnt a right.

I sadly have to stick to instant, the twunts I work with can barely look after their own stuff never mind any shiny shiny I left lying about ( Im talking dirty dishes and cutlery left in drawers or flung on top of cupboards, dont ask what state everything else is in)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Think I’d just get a cheap (~100 quid) pod machine and keep it under a desk. At least you’ll get decent coffee with minimum fuss. CBA with aeropress or anything like that and I’d be wanting espresso.

poah
    Free Member

coffee beans, grinder and filter machine

poah
    Free Member

@allthepies

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg293.pdf

“There should be washing facilities nearby, and a means of heating food or water for hot drinks”

you shouldn’t be paying for hot water.

allthepies
    Free Member

Dunno, but it’s been that way for years.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Strike!

Cougar

Having used every gadget known to man, I’d say Aeropress. Simple to use, minimal mess, takes up very little space, makes great coffee.

a french press mug combo.

They’re pretty good too.

jaymoid

Filter machine at our place.in the morning I make enough for four cups which does me and m’colleague nicely.

If you can get a kettle, a filter machine must also be allowed. Ours has even been pat tested!

To be fair we didn’t ask, just started using it.

MoreCashThanDash

Swiss stop Gold one cup filter for me, and a tight fitting Tupperware container for the coffee.

Way better than the Costa Express machine in the canteen.

Drac

Yes they can charge for hot water they only need to supply free cold drinking water.

Sundayjumper

Aeropress for me.

The place my wife works at charges 30p for a cup of hot water. She’s started taking a thermos of hot water to work with her.

drlex
    Free Member

All these places that charge for hot water – travel kettle or do they also require payment if you plug in so much as a ‘phone charger?

(Press-mug jobbie for me, with elderly espresso machine on occasions when a mid-arvo jolt required)

allthepies
    Free Member

Not allowed to bring kettles in.

DrJ

Charging for hot water? Unbelievable! They sure know how to inspire the workers! How much do they charge for using the toilet?

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

We have a La Marzocco Strada and a burr grinder at work, and our own blend, with occasional guest coffees.

There are various portable espresso gadgets, not sure if they’re any good though? Minipresso/handpresso/portaspresso.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Making coffee at work’ is closed to new replies.