Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Making and selling a product from someone elses plans?
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Are there any restrictions on making some thing and selling it, based on designs/plans created by someone else? You can buy woodwork plans for just about anything. Is it legal/OK to make the item and then sell it? Are there licensing rules to consider?

maccruiskeen

the person who published the plans would presumably stated any restrictions they’d placed on their use. The point of publishing plans is so people will make things from them, so they’d need to place pretty clear restrictions with them if they weren’t offering an unrestricted license on things people would make

What you’d need know though whether the person who published the plans holds the rights for the design themselves (or to all the aspects of the design). If they’ve unwittingly or otherwise included details which someone else holds rights or patents to then making something from those plans on a DIY basis is one thing, but taking it to market is something else. Generally though published plans tend to be just variations on traditional designs and constructions.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Thanks for that. I was thinking of making strawberry towers. Also struck me that I could make wheelpro wheel jigs pretty easily too. Will see how the strawberry towers sell first.

JoeG
    Free Member

Thanks for that. I was thinking of making strawberry towers. Also struck me that I could make wheelpro wheel jigs pretty easily too. Will see how the strawberry towers sell first.

It is a little known fact that sales of homemade strawberry towers directly correlate with the market demand for homemade wheel truing stands! 😆

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Making and selling a product from someone elses plans?’ is closed to new replies.