Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Making an F1 exhaust into something else, but what??
  • tomhoward

When the Caterham F1 team were searching down the back of the sofa trying to fund themselves to the end of, what would be, their last season, I bought one of their old exhaust manifolds. It’s very lovely, beautifully welded, titanium and I would like to turn it into something, much like WCA does, that can be displayed in polite company, not just stored in a box in my parents loft.

I had thought of some sort of table, but the shape of it means it would literally just have to be attached to a table some how, not an integral part of it.

What do we think of putting LEDs in it and having it as a lamp either the way up below or a tall lamp (perpendicular to how it is in the pic?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VnxaTi]Ideas[/url] by tom howard, on Flickr

or something I haven’t thought of?

aP
    Free Member

Use it as a massive bong?

prettygreenparrot

@aP beat me to it 😀

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Mount it so the bit on the left stick upward, mount an old fashioned bulb holder in it.

Put on of these on. job done.

Jamie
    Free Member

Not a smoker, but I’d have to second third the bong idea.

leegee

It’s Inconel and not Titanium.

simondbarnes

You know how we all end up building a bike once we’ve got one random part kicking about (a hub, seatpost, bottle cage etc)?

Well I think you should build an F1 car 🙂

monde
    Free Member

Beard with a pair of flip flops and youve got a second income on your hands..
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0gED3rn2Tc[/video]

onandon
    Free Member

Sell it to Honda, could be an improvement 🙂

aP
    Free Member

Could you shove mount some of those very 70s fibre optic lamps into each hole and the have a slightly HR Geiger-esque illuminated sculpture?

Stoner
    Free Member

Speakers and alexa or chromecast

slowoldman

Extractor for the hob?

finbar
    Free Member

Mini chimney for a wood-fired pizza oven for maximum STWness.

nickjb
    Free Member

Shower head
    Garden fountain

slowoldman

I like finbar’s idea. Seems apt for an exhaust.

convert

I think it would probably make a rubbish chimney.

Normally quite good at this but really struggling. It would make a great hamster run. Or screw it to the wall through the cylinder face plates with the exit pipe bit vertical. Seal it and use it as a flower vase in some sort of ironic twist on its previous use. Or mount it to the wall in the same way mount a light in base facing upwards; get a tube of glass made up the same diameter and an fish tank air pump bubbling gently (and maybe some tiny fish).

sturdylad
    Free Member

We have this in one of our offices…

http://www.racinggold.co.uk/red-bull/exhaust-lamp

(and I want to take it home with me!!)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Making an F1 exhaust into something else, but what??’ is closed to new replies.