Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Making an aero front wheel.
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Anyone ever seen a method for making a deep/aero rim? Not disc, that easy but say 80mm deep front the front.
    Why? Well the budget for another TT bike is not a lot and I fancy a go at it. Something to do over the winter.
    I did think of aerosol building foam into a mould around the spokes but that’s as far as it goes.
    Any bright ideas?

scotroutes

And how will you access the nipples?

djglover
    Free Member

Gaffer tape some plastic fairing to the rim. That’s essentially what a Cosmic Exalith is.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    philjunior
    Free Member

I’m sure if you put a dab of grease on them you could adjust them from the back, if necessary.

But the OP must have a LOT of free time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

eBay aero fairings.

whatgoesup

Just make sure it’s REALLY well attached – if it should peel off at high speed and jam the front wheel it’s going to be a pretty horrible crash..

onandon
    Free Member

You’d spend more money on bits than you would do just buying a Chinese ready built.

fisha
    Free Member

I would agree with the above. When you also factor in that your time = money as well in some regards, then even at minimum wage rates of roughly £7/hr, if you factor in your time spent thinking about it and trying out all sorts of crazy options … you’d quickly reach an amount that equates to a cheap chinese carbon rim.

hols2
    Free Member

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You’d spend more money on bits than you would do just buying a Chinese ready built.

And the chinese one will (probably) last far longer……

mattsccm
    Free Member

Time is free. Earning money to buy one is boring. Cobbling something together is fun.
    Nipple access was a concern when using foam. Lots of duct tape might work.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Read that Slowtwitch article before . Too technical for me and not worth the cost.
    Come on STW I want imagination not obstacles 😀

Daffy

60mm deep carbon wheel on ebay for £70. 88mm deep carbon wheel for £150.

Buy them, test them, sell them. It’ll cost you less overall that anything that you try to make…

aP
    Free Member

I think this would be better to be honest.

Bez

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Can you buy a modern fat rim, and bash it with a hammer a bit until its thinner and taller?

This looks a good solution

Practical too, if its windy on the day you could just cut out holes 😆

TiRed

Cheapest: Duct tape to 60 mm
    Less cheap: aero cover – not looked for 80-90 mm, but plenty of discs
    Less cheap: used wheel
    Least cheap: ne wheel

Personally, I’d buy a used wheel, everyone is always swapping and I bought a Jet 6/9 set for £450 which was almost unused.

YOU DO NOT WANT A DISC ON THE FRONT!

trail_rat
    Free Member

YOU DO NOT WANT A DISC ON THE FRONT!

unless things have changed dramatically im pretty sure that outside of an indoor track disc wheels are not permitted in events.

cookeaa

Rather than make a full wheel mould or carve large section of foam why not make a smaller sectional mould which you can either take fibreglass/carbon impressions of or go a bit GCSE and find someone with a vacuum former and make up multiple sections to form the fairing? Say eight sections @~240mm long each?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Even simpler could you not use some cloth and celulose dope?

Take an old wheel, stretch some old bed sheet over it on both sides, paint on the dope and wait for it to shrink, then carefully cut it off, will probably need some split pins to attach the resulting cones to the new wheels.

I think any sort of bodge is likely to come off and destroy your face/teeth in a crash, costing more at the dentist than you save not buying a s/h wheel.

shermer75
    Free Member

How is it done on stuff like Mavic Cosmics?

finbar
    Free Member

Time is free. Earning money to buy one is boring. Cobbling something together is fun.

I respect your attitude sir.

I’d be looking at some sort of combo of doughnut shapes made from corrugated plastic (to provide a bit of depth beyond the outside of the spokes to make the fairing flush with the rim), zip ties and duck tape to smooth the edges.

trail_rat
    Free Member

How is it done on stuff like Mavic Cosmics?

not with foam its not and they have square hex heads on the inside for nipple tweeking FNARRG FNARRG

legend
    Free Member

square hex

Something doesn’t add up here……

thecaptain
    Free Member

Disk covers used to be a cheap and reasonable option for the rear wheel at least. The way they worked was a metal hoop of the right size to fit just inside the rim, cloth cover stretched over and tied at the back, with the hoop clipped onto spokes. Access valve and nipples by unclipping it!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Not rear, that’s easy. And not allowed.
    My budget is different from that long thread this summer. So far this summers TT bike cost £80 for a new Chinerello Dogshite f&f. 20 spoke wheels were swapped for a knackered shotgun, base and extension bars plus brake levers £15 at a bike jumble I organised, saddle won in a club raffle tyres front a too extensive stock. Everything else from spares cupboard. Did buy new cable inners.
    Get the idea?
    Thinking of aero-ing one of my 6 pairs of GP4 rimmed wheels.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Flog the GP4s on retrobike, then buy Daffy’s deep rims off ebay?
    I admire the approach you are taking, but worry for your teeth.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Nooooo

twicewithchips
    Free Member

In the quest for free speed, have you aero-ed everything else? I’m not up to speed on the rules about wheel covers (nor am i trying to undermine your project – can you do some photos?).

What about position, clothing, taping over the edges of your number, bottle on the seat tube to deflect air over the rear wheel, cardboard taped to your helmet etc?

I quite like the cloth/dope idea – if your sewing is any good, could that be used to fair a section, rather than the whole wheel?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Making an aero front wheel.’ is closed to new replies.