Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • making a vacuum press (veneer and maybe composites), any experts?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

out of curiosity anyone know about making a vacuum bag/press, primarily for laminating up veneer panels, pressing and forming some skateboard decks for the kid and maybe a dabble in composites?

plan at present is to modify a small compressor.

tyke
    Free Member

Try asking/searching on UK Workshop forum there have been a few threads in the past about this.

A recent project build of a big veneer press (might be a bit more elaborate than you are looking to do!)- Veneer Press WIP

joemc
    Free Member

The best way to get a good scavenging vacuum pump, is to cut one out of an old fridge. I used one for a vac bagging setup a few years ago – they work brilliantly, and can be found free at the local tip, at night. Some precautions:

They are oil filled, so keep it the right way up.
    Crimp the in and out coolant pipes well before you cut them.
    Don’t breathe while you cut it, then run away for a few minutes.

Fridge coolant is not good to breathe or let out.

marcus7
    Free Member

Depends what you want to do, I’ve got a burkle laminating press which is a vacuum press at temp but in the past I’ve used “Turkey” bags connected to a vac pump, that’s where you need a decent vacuum pump ( look on ebay) pressure wise you can do it with a couple of bricks and that will do it! If however you are using composites (laminating with pre-preg) then you’ll probably need to do it at elevated temp so it gets tricky. Or use an autoclave… What do you want to make?

wwaswas

you can use a compressor as a vacuum pump if you have one for running tubeless or anything.

aracer
    Free Member

you can use a compressor as a vacuum pump if you have one for running tubeless or anything.

How about a track pump?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I just used a press when I was making skim boards (a LOT of work to make £4 per board!) and then when I was making rc glider wings.My dad did the whole vacuum bagged thing when he was laminating racing dinghy foils though.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Flippin ‘eck! I used to make longboard decks and have a vacuum bag/compressor I no longer use. I never got beyond prototyping but made some decent decks which I still have. I used my vac bag for pressing the wood on the mould, glassed it(a touch of carbon in the tail if I was feeling fancy) then shaped them. One of my favourites was a template I glassed out of curiosity 😀 It looks a bit rough as I used cheap glass bandage but it’s strong as a really strong thing.

I have a “pro 4” 0.4m^3 kit with a pretty hefty vacuum bag (missing one seal strip which costs about £13 from Bagpress):

http://www.bagpress.com/Materials_and_Accessories.html

If you’re interested you can have mine for £150ish +post, they’re over £600 new. Are you near Brighton? I also have a basic mould to get you started.

My email’s shameer AT gmx DOT co .uk

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

thanks chaps. have a small compressor already to modify and a bigger one if i need more ooomph!

herman i’ll drop you a line though, may make life easier. i’#m in west cornwall but have a friend who is in brighton fairly regularly.

kayak23

I’m fairly sure you can use the vacuum bags you get for compressing bedding and clothes etc to then store more efficiently. They run off a regular household vacuum.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘making a vacuum press (veneer and maybe composites), any experts?’ is closed to new replies.