Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Making a redundant Sky HD box not redundant
  • We have Sky Q in the lounge, with a mini box in the kitchen. The old Sky HD box is in the bedroom.

Without speaking to the cretins at Sky, is there any way to get a load of channels on this box (it’s still hooked up to the dish)? We can get Beeb and radio, but not many, just fancy a few more upstairs without getting another Sky Q box

Ta

bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t you have to have a card in it to work? Then tell sky what your doing??

perchypanther
    Free Member

Freesat card. £15 and lasts for five years.

We do this for our caravan where there is no freeview TV signal.

You will not be able to uses the recording functionality of the Sky + box though

@ bikebouy – the old card is still in it – the Sky engineer left it connected and said we could use it. The card is redundant now though.

Guessing Sky will want another £xx a month on top of the small fortune we already pay them

johndoh
    Free Member

Freesat card. £15 and lasts for five years.

This

martinhutch

What do you get just with the old sky card? I always thought you got Freesat automatically without a subscription, we certainly did when we left them a couple of years ago.

pyranha

Isn’t Sky Q some sort of multiroom thing anyway, or do you need more equipment to get that to work?

bigfoot
    Free Member

mot sure i see the point of doing it, as you’re paying for sky Q might as well just get another mini box and have it fully functioning upstairs.
    thats my plan when i get a bit further on with doing the house up.

damascus
    Free Member

I got sky q. I regret it. I used to run the sky box to all the TVs in the house and use a magic eye to control them.

Sky q won’t allow this.

That means I just have freeview in the other rooms.

It does mean we can watch different channels but freeview u
    Is limited.

ton

i sell all this type of stuff.
    so far sky q has been a big flop.

the inability to run your sky to multiple rooms via a magic eye and a bypass amp is the main reason.
    and the wifi on the boxes to secondry boxes is crap.

bigfoot
    Free Member

why the need for a magic eye? i’ve not used one for about 17 years. have 2 boxes and multiroom at the moment, when i get Q will just get 2 mini boxes for the locations i want tv’s.
    i have heard the wifi is crap but i’m putting in ethernet points so will run them wired.

ton

magic eye to watch in another room, for people who dont want to pay for multiroom.

nealglover
    Free Member

why the need for a magic eye? i’ve not used one for about 17 years

You’ve obviously not controlled One skybox from a room other than the room it’s located in then ?

bigfoot
    Free Member

yes but like i said it was at least 17 years ago. for me a second box and multiroom works so much better. i can understand it if people don’t want to pay for multiroom but for me i’m happy to pay the extra, its not like its a lot.

I could get another Q box, but again it’s more £££ to Sky.

I do like Sky Q though, even though I had magic eyes before

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Making a redundant Sky HD box not redundant’ is closed to new replies.