Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Making a new frame linkage – any improvements to make?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Since stripping my Intense for a re-paint I found that the upper link is a bit damaged as one of the bearings seems to have been put in on the wonk and distorted the link.
    Intense don’t make them any more and can’t seem to find any spares or used around so I’m going to make my own.
    I may be able to get the original component drawing from Intense (probably not though) and can also check mine on our CMM machine at work.
    I’ve got the machines etc at work to make my own so, just wondering if anyone has any input into improvements I could make to the linkage to make it better.
    The original link does feel a bit flexy so thinking about bulking it up a bit.
    Here’s the original link:

Any thoughts

Trimix
    Free Member

Why not make it so you can adjust the geometry ?

kayla1
    Free Member

Do I get to invoice you for any ideas I put forward that you put into production? 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JAG

To make it stiffer you’d need to enlarge the central support and/or thicken the two side plates where possible.

I’d put the link back on the bike to check clearances – then do what I said above as much as possible. You can then reduce the wall thickness of your new central support to the same as the wall thickness of your existing part.

Any joints or areas where the material thickness changes – add a radius to blend then together. This will avoid ‘stress-raisers’ or stress inducing features.

All of this advice is FOC 8)

Trimix
    Free Member

Its FOC, so when it fails and you try to sue him he can claim its not professional advice 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

Why not make it so you can adjust the geometry?

Good idea but I’m happy with how it rides and it’s easier to copy the original hole positions than try and work out where they would need to be for adjustable geo

Do I get to invoice you for any ideas I put forward that you put into production?

Yes but this won’t go into production as the frame is old hat and not worth making more than 1 IMO 😉

To make it stiffer you’d need to enlarge the central support and/or thicken the two side plates where possible.

That was my thinking. There does appear to be lots of clearance so plenty of room to increase blend rads etc
    Will do some doodling on the CAD I think

stevied
    Free Member

professional advice

That sounds good 🙂 Are you a professional Trimix?

doof_doof
    Free Member

Since stripping my Intense for a re-paint I found that the upper link is a bit damaged as one of the bearings seems to have been put in on the wonk and distorted the link.

Are you sure the link isn’t wonky on purpose to match the general wonkiness of Intense frames? 😉

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Modify the sides to a lollipop shape and shorten the pockets so it can accept a bigger o/d bearing?
    That ought to stiffen it a bit, providing it doesn’t cause clearance issues anywhere else.

TimothyD
    Free Member

What JAG said, also beware of making right angles and sharp corner, as that’s where cracks can like to start. At least, that can happen where there’s stresses involved.

I’m not a metal fatigue person, but I’ve a relative who is. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Making a new frame linkage – any improvements to make?’ is closed to new replies.