Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Making £25000 a year from home what could you sell/ do ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Just having a think !

Prostitution/broth hall not an option…

Ideas ?

Counsellor ? (counselling service)
    Selling on eBay ?

Any ideas ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Freelance work like graphic design or something.

footflaps

Cannabis farm?

Need to bypass the leccy meter, but other than that, easy money 😉

slowmart
    Free Member

Rent some of your rooms to illegal immigrants.

To maximise your income use bunk beds and hot bunk them.

andyrm
    Free Member

Online trading in sub £15 jewellery into the daily deals website sector. You could easily net 40k plus in the first year with a few smart moves…..

MrSparkle

Broth hall? What’s that, some sort of illegal soup shop?

nealglover
    Free Member

Its like a posh Soup Kitchen.

No tramps allowed.

footflaps

To maximise your income use bunk beds and hot bunk them.

Pah! Amateur – pack em in standing room only!

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

okay I meant brothel !

tinribz
    Free Member

Online poker? Yourself, or bankroll some Asian students maybe.

qwerty
    Free Member

Maybe a massage parlour then, so easy you could do it flat on your back without feeling like your being shafted working for someone else!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Consultancy, though £25k is a little low unless it’s just a hobby.

Anything web,IT etc can be done remotely.

tomhoward

Software reseller, all you need is a phone, and a computer connected to the Internet.

willard

Pen-testing. All you really need is internet and some computers. If you were any good 25k is way too low.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member
    Software reseller, all you need is a phone, and a computer connected to the Internet.

Not a bad one if you can handle the travel too.

footflaps

I would have thought Software reseller was a competitive market with thin margins?

somafunk

Got a biggish garden?, if so i advise a polytunnel and grow unusual herbs, and i don’t mean cannabis – in this climate that’s far better grown hydroponically indoors under hps lights, seriously though – if you do have a big enough garden and are not a total klutz when it comes to plants then it is possible to get a decent income from a poly tunnel selling herbs or small unusual veg n’ stuff, you could go the hydroponic route in a poly tunnel but the flavour is slightly different so i’d always go “organic” and put up with less growth but add the 25% organic tax to cover for any shortfall in produce by not choosing a Hydro method.

brakes
    Free Member

nursery. £40-80 per child per day. 4/5 kids. £40-100k a year. Minus 1 or 2 staff on minimum wage… easily leaves £25-80k.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    I would have thought Software reseller was a competitive market with thin margins?

Depends (but obviously yes really tight, hardly make a penny)

Something high end niche is where to be with that, but it also helps to be an expert in it. Also the more it costs the more they want to see you.

slackalice
    Free Member

Andyrm, sounds interesting, please tell us more..

tomhoward

Footflaps, margins aren’t great for resellers compared to say retail, but they are massive compared to the disti margins (my area)

hammerite
    Free Member

I couldn’t think of anything more tedious than working from home as a software reseller. Was bad enough working in sales for a disti and then a vendor. But if you are driven enough and find a package that you can sell without having to resort to dropping your pants every time to sell then it’s possible.

Might need some kind of tech support set up though or only sell the service packages some vendors offer.

squiff
    Free Member

nursery. £40-80 per child per day. 4/5 kids. £40-100k a year. Minus 1 or 2 staff on minimum wage… easily leaves £25-80k.

My Dad and his wife own a childrens nursery, which is next to there house, they have 30/40 children per day. £35/£40 per day.

No wounder they are always away on holiday

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I couldn’t think of anything more tedious than working from home as a software reseller. Was bad enough working in sales for a disti and then a vendor. But if you are driven enough and find a package that you can sell without having to resort to dropping your pants every time to sell then it’s possible.

It’s different, I consult in the software I sell and we are exclusive for Aus/NZ and some pacific islands. It’s high end stuff so sales go with training (which I run) and we also do the stuff they can’t. Got some really interesting things going on but the lack of day to day human contact is a tough thing when working from home.

Got to love the STW accountants/business planners though
    x/hr * some = loads (forgetting -costs -tax -insurance -wages -everything else)

brakes
    Free Member

sorry, I’ll have my accountant submit a full report of accounts by the morning.
    although I will be paying staff in biscuits which are not liable for VAT so the business will be tax exempt. I think that’s how it works.

bwaarp
    Free Member

statistical consultancy

meth lab

andyrm
    Free Member

Andyrm, sounds interesting, please tell us more..

Give me an hour or so and I’ll post a full breakdown, then if anyone is genuinely interested, I will help you through the process of getting started…… 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

Nice one, thanks chap 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

http://www.ukhomeworker.co.uk/

We employ a number of call centre operatives who work from home. The bog standard ones probably don’t earn £25k but I bet the home worker shift managers do.

hammerite
    Free Member

mikewsmith – I suppose the consult bit is what I was getting at by “not having to resort to dropping your pants”. With a consultative/solution sale it all becomes a lot more interesting, but then you have to spend a lot more time and money on every sale (not to mention the ones that got away). All this while trying to feed the pipeline.

The vendor I worked for had a tiered sales channel for some products but also a direct model for others – the direct sales were always high value deals but few and far between.

vanilla83
    Free Member

andyrm – interested here too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the consulting does change things but I’d be happy for a bit just shifting software & training as thats a nice little earner and tops up the air miles. Support across a 5hr time difference with the software developers 8hrs out is getting interesting though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Whilst we are on this subject then, what opportunites might my wife have to make a bit of supplemental income whilst looking after kids?

peterfile
    Free Member

in before the first person to respond inappropriately to mol’s post

footflaps

Whilst we are on this subject then, what opportunites might my wife have to make a bit of supplemental income whilst looking after kids?

She should leave them at home to tend to the Cannabis farm whilst she goes out to work…..

richardk
    Free Member

Second Saumri’s post – contact centre home working is growing. Look up sensee or arise

jonba
    Free Member

Buying things from china and selling them on. superstar pretty much started in that way. IF you have a spare room to store stuff in then it could work. You;d need to stick to small and expensive to make it easier. Lights etc.

I know superstar moved into industrial premises when they started to move away from simple tibolts and breaks. Can’t fit wheel and other big items in a house.

Thing is, this area of the market is pretty crowded. There are loads of people doing it now. Look how many people sell rebranded nano style pedals.

You’ll need to find a niche – cheap gps…

joemarshall
    Free Member

Default stay at home parent thing to make money is to make some kind of handmade tat and try to sell it to your rich friends. I presume hardly anyone makes decent money out of it though. I can only think of one person I know who does this on any meaningful scale, and she is a very good kids dressmaker, the quality is better than shop clothes and the price is roughly the same. I think unless you have a unique skill and can do it fast enough to make a lot of stuff, the market for homemade tat is very limited.

Oh and there are things like making cupcakes etc. Can’t be much money in it, cos round here, there is a new bespoke cupcake business popping up every week, and another old one going bust / quitting.

And ‘franchises’ – bet they make good money for the person selling the franchise, next to nothing for the person putting in the hard work.

Only obvious things where people are making money round here while looking after their kids too, are some of the baby groups. The good ones run by people who have particular skills, like swimming teaching (the posh baby swimming 15 quid a time ones, not local authority ones which are rubbish money), twistin tots (baby song and dance). They all seem like they’re run by people who have a real vocation for what they do, and are very skilled at it, rather than a money making scheme.

I guess it seems to me that the only obvious lesson is that the way to make money is not to think how can I make money, rather to think what are my skills, things that I realistically can do way better and more efficiently than most people, and what can I do to make money out of them. Any bugger can make a decent cupcake, which is why that is such a stupid idea, whereas very few people have the skills and qualificationsto teach swimming to babies, so if you do, that is a potential money spinner.

andyrm
    Free Member

Ok,

Here’s how this all works.

You need to set up a limited company and an online store that can accept coupon codes (note this is essential, they need to be unique codes, not a generic discount code) – I recommend Shopify’s £38/mth package as it works perfectly.

http://www.shopify.com/pricing

Shopify charges a 1% transaction fee.

I have a list of jewellery trade suppliers, who do nice looking crystal/Swarovski Elements/plated silver type items. You’ll need to stock up on product that will sell – I suggest earrings, necklaces, bracelets and what is often called a “tri – set” with necklace, bracelet and earrings together.

Set up your retail pricing in line with these sites:

http://www.lilynicole.co.uk/

http://www.jewelleryselect.co.uk/

You will be able to sell the items at around 50-60% discount off RRP and still achieve in the region of 20% net margin.

Factor to pay 20-25% commission (+VAT on the commission) to the “Daily Deals” site

Factor a payment schedule of 50% paid to you at 2 weeks, balance at 6 weeks, less any refunds

You can get away with charging up to £3.99 per voucher P&P – remember this needs to cover not only cost of postage but also Jiffy bags, time to pack, label etc.

If you run a deal a month (most deal sites will limit to a deal a month) and generate a good ballpark of £1000 net margin per deal (this is the target the deal sites work to achieve, and as your margin matches their commission you can expect similar net) before any markup on P&P, you can be on a good earner!

Sites I can recommend:

Dealcloud.co.uk
    Mightydeals.co.uk
    Kgbdeals.co.uk
    Gowilddeals.com
    Gogroopie.com
    Livingsocial.co.uk
    Wowcher.co.uk

Anyone who is seriously interested, email me (my email is on my profile) and I can give you more in-depth info.

Andy

andyrm
    Free Member

Morning all! 🙂

Quite a lot of emails there for me – I’ve been in solid meetings yesterday so will get back to all of you with answers to all your individual requests and queries.

Looking forward to helping you all out

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Making £25000 a year from home what could you sell/ do ?’ is closed to new replies.