Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Make me a worksurface! (sorry, posted in wrong forum)
  • nickf
    Free Member

If anyone is, or can personally recommend a skilled woodworker/joiner who can make me a shaped oak worksurface in the next few weeks, I’d be grateful.

I’ve been quoted an insane amount by a local joinery for what I’d consider to be a pretty simple job – rather give the work to someone who won’t take the p***.

I’m in the Watford area

bruneep

for what I’d consider to be a pretty simple job

Bash on then.

nickf
    Free Member

Bash on then.

Wow, turning work down? I’m impressed.

When I say it’s simple, I mean it’s a flat surface, there are no complex curves, and it won’t require anything other than standard machinery. It certainly shouldn’t take a skilled person the half-day I’ve been quoted.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Junkyard
    Free Member

took more than half the day to do my U shaped kitchen with 2 invisible joins

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I know a few honest joiners and they would all want to put a fair bit of work into a shaped OAK worktop.

When I say it’s simple, I mean it’s a flat surface, there are no complex curves, and it won’t require especially complex machinery. It certainly shouldn’t take a skilled person the half-day I’ve been quoted.

Can you not do it then?

nickf
    Free Member

Can you not do it then?

Frankly, I could, though to get a good finish it’d take me ages

I don’t have the time or equipment, and wouldn’t be able to source wood at a decent price. So I’m absolutely happy to pay, but when you’re told that you have to buy a minimum 3m from a joiner, and that he then wants to charge £250 for shaping said wood, that starts to feel a bit pricey.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Troll?

nickf
    Free Member

And just for you, CaptJon, proof that this forum’s pretty good.

I’ve had a quote to produce the required item, made from reclaimed oak (from a Brixton church, of all places) and fully finished, for less than just the labour cost quoted to me yesterday by the original bunch. Pays to shop around, doesn’t it?

Paul-j

I’am a self employed carpenter and joiner got a long contract with an estate in the cotwolds.
    all I’d say is ask more than two companys/ people. there is alot of people out there at the minute uncutting prices buy almost half, the cheapest price isnt all ways the best option in my eyes.
    Curved work tops can be tricky to get the diameter cut perfect with no wobbels and seamless joints.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Make me a worksurface! (sorry, posted in wrong forum)’ is closed to new replies.