Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Majorly peeved, bike woes
  • teenrat

Just making sure the bike was ready for the dyfi enduro, so took it for a quick pootle on the road behind my house, and this happened.

hanger has snapped, mech is bent in half, deep scratches in the frame CRC will be getting call in the morning as the bike is 6 months old and still under warranty.

I now have to build another bike in two nights for the dyfi, but all i have is parts for a 1×10 pipedream torerro. I was after a good time but now 57km on that will be a real slog.

wwaswas

I’m not sure the warranty will cover the mech hanger. Might be best to get them to overnight you a new hanger and mech and use this bike?

teenrat

The hanger wont be cpvered, but the hanger isnt supposed to snap that easily and its the damage to the frame and mech as a result

cynic-al
    Free Member

What he said, though he who moans the loudest/longest…

coogan
    Free Member

New hanger would work a treat.

simondbarnes

Why would a snapped mech hanger be a warranty issue? Especially as looking at how battered the end of the qr is it looks like it’s taken at least one hit in it’s lifetime.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Oops.

teenrat

just real p****d off. if i had hit it out riding, fair enough, but trying out the gears on the road!!

somafunk

Going by the scratches on the mech parallelogram and on the q-release nut it looks like it has had a few knocks beforehand, and mech hangers are designed to break so i doubt you’ll get the response you desire from CRC.

cynic-al
    Free Member

teenrat – Member
    just real p****d off. if i had hit it out riding, fair enough, but trying out the gears on the road!!

You were out riding. The amount of force you put through it is the same. Had you just adjusted the gears before? Get over it.

lunge

If you didn’t hit it then it would suggest badly set up gears. At 6 months old, assuming this is the first time it’s happened, I’d suggest the blame lies with you I’m afraid.

wiggles
    Free Member

Better it happened now that 100 meters after the start line though?

Not a warranty issue though, mech hangers are supposed to break and clearly it has had a knock and probably weakened before and it chose its moment to let go.

bigrich

that’s mechs gone into the spokes and twisted the hanger off. not CRCs fault

bigrich

Rorschach
    Free Member

I will be charitable and assume the paint missing on the dropout,chewed qr nut and scratched up mech parallelogram are from this incident and it not being thrown down the road previously ,bending the hanger and pushing the mech into the spokes.
    Funny how it did’nt happen in the previous 6 months though.
    Most thing break JRA in my experience.

teenrat

gears hadnt been adjusted beforehand and were working perfectly.

I know i wont get anywhere with CRC, as like everyone says its a’disposable’ part, its just the way it has snapped, and the timing

EDIT qr end cap is an old one and is no reflection of the how the bikes been ridden/treated.

Rorschach
    Free Member

bigjim

big scratches on your mech too, I think you’ve damaged it when you damaged the mech and it’s finally cracked.

chambord
    Free Member

Buy a spare as well and stick it in your trail bag.

Mine snapped the first time when I was just riding up the toe path from Ladybower up to Cut Gate. I didn’t have a spare and had to turn round and drive home, didn’t even get to attempt to ride up the switchbacks. Lesson learned, I now carry a spare.

(This does not apply to partners bike hence thread earlier about where to buy mech hangers 😉 )

sweepy
    Free Member

Its not easy to see from the pic and I’m not familiar with those axles but that dropout looks like theres a bit missing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

QRs, 10 speed, battered.

How old’s the bike, OP?

nuke

What frame is it?

paladin

sweepy – Member
    Its not easy to see from the pic and I’m not familiar with those axles but that dropout looks like theres a bit missing.

That’s what I was thinking….. Nothing to hold the wheel in

Edit: is the dropout + hanger the same disposable part?

teenrat

bike is 6 months old, never had an off on it. Its a 29er hardtail not a hardcore/big travel rig.

i wouldnt say its battered, some scratches, yes, but not battered.

yes, dropout and hanger is the same part – thinking about it that must put alot of force on a ‘disposable’ part?

teenrat

just checked, and the dropout is wholly within the removable hanger – The same arrangement is on the non drive side. Is this a bad design as hanger snaps , wheel comes off

Mike_D
    Free Member

Slightly bent hanger from a topple you may not even have noticed, plus possibly slightly sloppy mech pivots, plus shifting into big sprocket, plus bad luck = mech in spokes. Gets dragged round, hanger snaps. Hanger did its job by snapping, frame essentially intact. Buy new mech and hanger, fit, ride, smile 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

teenrat – Member
    just checked, and the dropout is wholly within the removable hanger – The same arrangement is on the non drive side. Is this a bad design as hanger snaps , wheel comes off

Better to damage the frame when it breaks?

scotroutes

Quite a few frames like that. It allows the use of various axle standards via a bolt-on dropout/hanger assembly.

teenrat

i was ready to write this off and get the new parts, ride and smaile 🙂 but now the design concerns me. If the hanger snaps whilst riding, what keeps the wheel on?

sweepy
    Free Member

I think on balance I’d rather my wheel stayed in when my hanger snapped. Did it come out?

I do think that annoying as it is the hanger has done its job preventing worse damage. Bikes break sometimes.

paladin

I’d be carrying spare dropouts in my bag I think

cynic-al
    Free Member

what keeps the wheel on?

It breaks in a way that keeps the wheel on – as has happened to you.

Think about it, it’s clamped by the QR and locknut, nothing is going to break it in there.

superdale
    Free Member

Ditto last comment. After an over the handlebars moment in a mid-winter race over Salisbury Plain I was glad of the spare mech hanger in my camelbak. Avoids a long walk home. They weigh nowt so now I always carry a spare for each bike & the wife’s as she’s bent one before in a crash on holiday.

rickmeister

Emergency Mech Hanger – Mucky Nutz
    http://www.muckynutz.com/emergency_mech_hanger
    The little leg saver, for when the mech hanger (drop out) snaps. This hanger is universal so is ideal for riders with more than one bike, change their bike or cycle …

Universal Derailleur Hanger – Problem Solvers
    problemsolversbike.com/products/universal_derailleur_hanger
    The Universal Hanger should be in everyone’s saddlebags. If your existing derailleur hanger busts, strips or is totally wonky, the Universal Hanger replaces the …

Get a proper one and one of these, saves a long walk for anyone your biking with.

Dickyboy

Emergency Mech Hanger – Mucky Nutz

cheers for that rickmeister, useful to keep in the bag for group rides too

rickon
    Free Member

I’d be looking yo replace chain, cassette and maybe chain rings. You will probably find a stiff link now in the chain, which you can either take out, replace with a quick link and just get a new drivetrain.

Its hard to tell. But looks like a good age on the cassette and chain, which may have caused the mech yo be pulled into the wheel.

If you don’t look into it, you probably will encounter the same issue very soon.

franki
    Free Member

My bro. snapped his mech hanger on the morning of the Dyfi Enduro one year, riding across the camping field, getting ready for the off.
    To say he was a bit miffed is way off the mark. 😈

On a positive note – he always has a spare hanger with him now. 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

Do you clean it much? Doesn’t look like it.
    One of the benefits of cleaning the bike is that it makes it much easier to spot potential breaking-points like that.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Same thing happened to me on my Planet X XLS. Mid climb, hanger snapped through the bolt eye: new rear mech, new skewer, new pads (they disappeared as the wheel forced its way out of the frame, buckled wheel but the real bug bear is the damage to the frame which px still have not responded to. The carbon dropout is mangled and the looks to be a fine crack too. Never been crashed and always running smoothly, pissed off to say the least. I feel your pain

bigyinn
    Free Member

My 10yo spesh enduro has less marks on the dropout than that 6 month old bike.
    Methinks someone doesn’t have much mechanical sympathy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Majorly peeved, bike woes’ is closed to new replies.